Are we going to stop up?!?

28 minutes ago, Mcguigan said:

We’ll definitely stay up

Honest question.

What have you seen in the games so far this season that makes you so confident in this?

I like to think of myself as a glass half full type but I can only get as far as hoping we can just about squeak through if we're lucky.

• Like 1

Not for me sadly. A great win yesterday, but we have thrown so many points away. And lets not foeget, IF Preston would have taken their chances they could have been infront & I doubt we would have come back. But we took the vital one and that is all that matters.

Players not paid AGAIN club in a complete mess, no manager in sight, need players and 2 days to go.

6 hours ago, Tollertonowl said:

We're on a good run in terms of league games/ performances - post TP's tenure... However the teams around us are also on a good run/ picking up points and therefore keeping us down in the bottom 3...

I get that times are tough and SWFC fans are frustrated, but going down to league 1 isn't an option... We need to stay up... Get to the end of this season and if FFP rules allow/ don't stop us spending then break the bank for a promotion push, as otherwise we are screwed for many years to come in the championship...  

We've already broken the bank as far as FFP is concerned. Then there is Covid which is having a huge impact on the amount of commercial, corporate and match day income we are receiving currently. How the EFL will view this loss of income, against the Profitability and Sustainability rules, is currently not even known. If they do not flex, all clubs will be up against the wall.

There are also 15 players out of contract at the end of the season, although one is on his way to Celtic by the looks of things. We are no longer a club who can attract players over the likes of Brentford, possibly Derby if they ever complete their takeover, Norwich, Swansea, Bournemouth or Watford to name just a few who could be in this league next season.

On top of that, we've already made the mistake of gambling for promotion and failing. We are now paying the price for that naivety. Are you seriously suggesting we do the exact same thing again?

• Like 1

No, we are down, but relegation is probably the least of our worries. We are potless, players not being paid, accounts not being submitted, stadium sold to a dodgy shell company then used as security against a loan, season ticket refunds still not all repaid. 

All points to looming administration. 

8 minutes ago, Dunkstar said:

Honest question.

What have you seen in the games so far this season that makes you so confident in this?

I like to think of myself as a glass half full type but I can only get as far as hoping we can just about squeak through if we're lucky.

Sadly, nobody can say, based on performances, we will definitely stay up Recent results have been really welcome, though not particularly convincing, and certainly nothing to show that we’ve turned a corner. In truth, this is probably where we are in terms of results, similar to the overall picture under Monk. Aside from the nightmare period under Pulis, we might be bobbing along just outside the drop zone. Until we get a new strike force in, I’m not sure we can significantly improve, whoever the manager might be. Get the appointment wrong, as with Pulis, and things could easily go the other way 

A good window today and tomorrow, and things might look different of course. 
I’ve long been of the opinion, that we’re too unbalanced, and our fate would be sealed by what we do in this window. Do now, what we should have done in the summer, and any competent manager should have a chance of keeping us up. If we again don’t make that investment at the top end, I think we will come up short

I'd give us a 15% chance. We are creating the least number of chances in the Championship and in open play watch us and see how many times we get more than 3 players in the box. We don't have enough players who score goals and once we concede we never come back. No manager and no striker add to our predicament. Our hope is that we have decent defenders (most are injury prone and can have losses in firm) but we will be hoping for winning 1-0 in almost half of the games we have left

• Like 2

It’s going to be very tight and it could come down to the last game at Derby. Forest at home second last game is potentially going to be hugely important too. I’m hopeful Pulis’ disastrous brief spell in charge won’t cost us. We will need to be at our best more often than not and get lucky with squad fitness/injuries.

Over the season if we keep up our current rate of collecting points we are on target for 51-52, or 45-46 points after the 6 points deduction. That total would have seen us relegated last season. However in 2017-18 and 2018-19, 45-46 points would be enough to survive.

I’m going to be optimistic and say we do it. Just

I feel it depends on what transfer activity happens tomorrow.   If we can keep our best players and sign a decent striker and perhaps a left wing/back then we have a chance to stay up.  There’s winnable games in the championship for everyone.  

• Like 1

Guest Mcguigan
23 minutes ago, Dunkstar said:

Honest question.

Some right dross across the league, no consistency and very little quality.

I can’t say we’ve played particularly well over the 6 games but we’re averaging over 2 ppg.

We’re like a team of rag tag misfits, not assembled but thrown together by circumstance. Yet, we’re getting results.

There’s zero pressure or expectation on our lads because everyone has written them off. No fans at Hillsborough is a blessing this season.

1 hour ago, Rogerwyldesmullet said:

Definite maybe

The effort of all the lads was commendable but victory gives a gloss to a display which at times was excruciating -

flipping eck we are a hard watch. 
This is one tough league and if we make it out of the mess we are in it won’t be by much. 
Well done everyone against PNE  (even Reach for that headed clearance) but we won’t stay up unless we hold the ball better and actually control a game occasionally. 

Very good post, agree with much of this.  If pushed then I think we’re going down due to lack of goals.  Your point about our inability to “hold the ball better and actually control a game occasionally” is spot on and will probably see us relegated.

2 minutes ago, Mcguigan said:

Some right dross across the league, no consistency and very little quality.

I can’t say we’ve played particularly well over the 6 games but we’re averaging over 2 ppg.

We’re like a team of rag tag misfits, not assembled but thrown together by circumstance. Yet, we’re getting results.

There’s zero pressure or expectation on our lads because everyone has written them off. No fans at Hillsborough is a blessing this season.

Fair enough.

I'm not sure that equates to definitely staying up myself but I commend your confidence.