Give Thompson the job

We're in the position we're currently in because of the chairman. Every time he and his "adviser"(s) touch something, problems arise. The manager has won 12 points out of the last 15.

He has earned the right to see out the season. As fans, we have earned the right to go a few months without Chansiri interfering with first team affairs.

Give Thompson the job 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Like the team selection tonight, if it isn't broke don't fix it! 

It feels different somehow watching them, like they're putting in that extra few percent effort, and the results are coming in. Granted its not the prettiest, but I'd happily take scruffy wins than any of the losses we've seen over the last 2 seasons. 

Do the players like Thompson so they're trying harder for him? Or would we have seen the same under Monk/Pulis? I personally don't think we would. I think Monk lost the dressing room with whatever happened last Christmas (if anything did happen, but something changed for the results to plummet like they did), and I don't think Pulis ever had the players on his side for whatever reason. 

Is it a coincidence that key players from the last few seasons are playing and we're picking up results? I don't think so.

Westwood instils confidence in his defence and is a constant voice organising what he sees in front of him, he drops the odd ball but he saves more than he costs over a season, and definitely costs less than Dawson and Wildsmith.

Hutchinson back, again, brilliant. Dodgy tackle for their penalty, but he's always been prone to that, and they aside is as solid as they come. His mentally is brilliant and I'd think it's just what the team need both on and off the pitch. 

Also like to add i'm over the moon with tonight's result, and also that Rhodes finally scored. Not played much, but his effort in the last few games when he's come on has been there for everyone to see, and he deserved his goal tonight. Right place right time, like any good striker should be. 

COME ON YOU BLUE N WHITE WIZARDS!!!!

• Like 2

Want him to have the job "BUT" Would rather it stay at it is ,,(reason why )while ever he  he is under no illusions of getting the job and doing what he is doing THIS benefit's him the team and us,  , Being Manager could add pressure on him which he might not want and could alter things , He is Doing well as is ,So would rather him be left alone to get on with it and if he keeps us up then offer him the job for next season and beyond 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mcmigo said:

Him, bully and weaver doing great. Proper club men who have been with us a long time. The upturn in form v the horrid Pulis and Monk era is fantastic to see.

we have a fit squad for first time in a long time which is helping . 

Fixed it for you.

You’re welcome.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Emilianenko said:

Fixed it for you.

You’re welcome.

NT building on the great work done by Monk .

more resilient squad now vs before. Even under monk at start of season we were generally hard to beat aside from the one horror week we had.

I will though admit that the call to banish Westwood and Hutchinson is increasingly looking like a bad idea . Both have played well since returning to the team . 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mcmigo said:

NT building on the great work done by Monk .

more resilient squad now vs before. Even under monk at start of season we were generally hard to beat aside from the one horror week we had.

I will though admit that the call to banish Westwood and Hutchinson is increasingly looking like a bad idea . Both have played well since returning to the team . 

They're good players, and no matter what people say, you play your best players if you want a chance of achieving anything, whether that be promotion or avoiding relegation. 

If they are disruptive and have a negative effect on the team, then rightly so drop them in the interest of getting the required results, but I can see no evidence of Westwood or Hutchinson causing such disruption and if anything the results have improved since they returned. 

I can't even pretend to know what went off for them to be dropped like they were, but must have been something serious for Monk to risk his own job not to play them. 

9 hours ago, mcmigo said:

I still think this is what did for Monk.

As soon as players saw that the team wasn't being picked on merit, then it plants seeds of doubt about all sorts of other issues.  Its a ploy other managers have done in the past - assert your authority by banishing one or two of your strong characters.  If you're a strong personality yourself with experience to call upon, you stand a chance.  I don't think Monk ever had that sort of aura about him though, and as soon as the results start to dip players naturally talk amongst themselves about why players that they know can help them out, aren't being allowed to play.  Toxic, and only had himself to blame.

Guest wilyfox

Not against Thompson getting it for the season. He’s earned a crack at it. My only concern is losing him if it doesn’t work out. Thompson & Bullen are people we turn to during transition. If DC had to sack either, they’d be a loss.

14 hours ago, trevdi9 said:

Want him to have the job "BUT" Would rather it stay at it is ,,(reason why )while ever he  he is under no illusions of getting the job and doing what he is doing THIS benefit's him the team and us,  , Being Manager could add pressure on him which he might not want and could alter things , He is Doing well as is ,So would rather him be left alone to get on with it and if he keeps us up then offer him the job for next season and beyond 

Out of interest, who taught you to write? 😁

Looking at it logically, given the timing, leaving Thompson in charge makes the most sense. Things are changing, those so called trouble shooting old school managers like Pulis and Allardyce, are becoming less relevant We’ve seen that first hand, both here, and at West Brom. Had we not appointed Pulis, we probably would have been out of the bottom three by now. 
We will see whether Thompson is the man to take us forward, come the end of the season. For now though, I’d leave things as they are, if Thompson is happy to do the job in a caretaker capacity, then let’s proceed along those lines. That way, when we see which division we are in, longer term decisions over the managerial situation can be made If then we decide to take a different route, Thompson can return to his old job, or perhaps take on a job overseeing the whole football side of things Currently, I don’t believe there is anyone out there who would be better placed to see us through until the summer

• Like 2

I think leaving Thompson in charge of matters on the pitch is a good shout. Wouldn’t be against us getting in a Technical Director or Director of Football with a track record of developing a team ethos and identity. 

We really need to start planning for the future and getting a team whereby if we end up selling a players there’s plans in place to replace them like for like. As it stands now we are all over the shop in that sense.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, El Toro said:

I think leaving Thompson in charge of matters on the pitch is a good shout. Wouldn’t be against us getting in a Technical Director or Director of Football with a track record of developing a team ethos and identity. 

We really need to start planning for the future and getting a team whereby if we end up selling a players there’s plans in place to replace them like for like. As it stands now we are all over the shop in that sense.

That is what was promised as soon as Canshiri took over, and that we will always have a list of managers to replace whoever in charge. Those managers were suposed to favor same formation and same style of football so that change of manager wouldn't mean changing big part of our players 

10 hours ago, mcmigo said:

Him, bully and weaver doing great. Proper club men who have been with us a long time. The upturn in form v the horrid Pulis era is fantastic to see.

we have a fit squad for first time in a long time which is helping . 

Thompson’s getting the plaudits and understandably so but Bullen and Weaver are playing their part. Everyone talks about Hutch and Westwood but don’t forget Monk the Magnificent banished Bullen and Weaver too. Clueless T0$$€R.

We have striker who scored zillion goals in his career and is our highest paid player, but is playing poorly and just can't score. 

Then he scores in first game of New season, everyone is asking themselves could he finally turn it around this year with his contract running out and having great season... 

And what Monk does? Gives him 50 or 60 minutes of next game and pulls him off never to be seen again. 

If that is not case of poor man management than I don’t know what is... 

• Like 1

But..but all the experts on here said get a manager in now...what's the delay hurry up...we are down unless we get someone in quick, Cook is gagging for it, he's brill he got the red lion promoted.. set him on now...blah blah fooookin blah

Fair play to the ones who backed him...nailed on for the 10 match default payout now.

47 minutes ago, sherlyegg said:

But..but all the experts on here said get a manager in now...what's the delay hurry up...we are down unless we get someone in quick, Cook is gagging for it, he's brill he got the red lion promoted.. set him on now...blah blah fooookin blah

Fair play to the ones who backed him...nailed on for the 10 match default payout now.

I think earlier in January, there was an opportunity for a new man to come in, were there a suitable candidate available. He would then have, or so we thought, had an opportunity to reshape the side 

Now we know, no such funds were available, and because so much time has passed, and with caretaker manager Thompson, exceeding expectations, why change things. Once we’d moved on from the notion that some shouty manager could come in and have us storming up the table, Thompson in charge until the end of the season made the most sense