Give Thompson the job

51 minutes ago, striker said:

Bottom line is that Thompson is doing a good job filling in. Of course he's not a credible long term option. But, compared to the pathetic shortlist Paxo and Chansiri have compiled, looks a good choice to see out the season.

Then what??

We're back to square one going into a new season with no manager or a manager that doesn't know his players trying to get his ideas across over a pre season?

Why not appoint one now who can slowly implement his changes over the course of the rest of this season and plan ahead instead of being on the back foot in the summer.

It's not like NT has come in and changed everything, performances are still poor but luckily we are picking up points.

Get someone in ASAP give them this year to figure out the plan for next season do what Paul Warne did with Rotherham when they were near relegation plan for survival and plan for relegation not sit and dither until the summer when all our players are out of contract and just throw a squad together and hope it sticks. 

It won't work.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lucas Joao's Tooth said:

Then what??

We're back to square one going into a new season with no manager or a manager that doesn't know his players trying to get his ideas across over a pre season?

Why not appoint one now who can slowly implement his changes over the course of the rest of this season and plan ahead instead of being on the back foot in the summer.

It's not like NT has come in and changed everything, performances are still poor but luckily we are picking up points.

Get someone in ASAP give them this year to figure out the plan for next season do what Paul Warne did with Rotherham when they were near relegation plan for survival and plan for relegation not sit and dither until the summer when all our players are out of contract and just throw a squad together and hope it sticks. 

It won't work.

Don't ask me mate, ask the fuckwits running the club. Everything seems geared to just the end of the season, player contracts, manager contract offer. 

The shortlist compiled by stuffing boy is dogshit. Irrespective, we only have 3 weeks between now and the end of the season where we don't play Saturday/midweek. Therefore no time on the training ground to implement anything 

You're right in what your saying, but maybe someone should tell the idiot running the club. Sincerely hope the rumours of him selling up at the end of the season are accurate.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Lucas Joao's Tooth said:

and plan for relegation

We already sacked the manager planning for relegation

4 minutes ago, Lucas Joao's Tooth said:

performances are still poor but luckily we are picking up points.

So lets set a new manager on and hope our luck changes?

Thompson’s done well so far regardless of whether you think we’ve merited the points we’ve picked up under him or not.

The one thing he has done in the main is get a shift out of the players. Looks from his interviews that he keeps things nice and simple which will probably get the best out of this group of players?

I don’t however envisage an announcement that he’s got the job. I just think DC will ride this wave for however long he can? 

• Like 1

think the bloke is in his mid 50s and been involved in football since his teens so he'll have some idea how to set up a team ......he's cheap the players seem to like him and hes not  going to cause any  grief to the hierarchy ........why not give it to him 

• Like 4

After the Coventry game his line up and subs the comments were awful mine included.Today doesn't change a thing we need a manager Thompson needs to go back to his level under 23s.

Nice bloke but not a manager of our club.Remember our saviour getting rid of a good coach in Grey. 

We need a manger with contacts in the game not a under 23 coach

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, s.armo said:

After the Coventry game his line up and subs the comments were awful mine included.Today doesn't change a thing we need a manager Thompson needs to go back to his level under 23s.

Nice bloke but not a manager of our club.Remember our saviour getting rid of a good coach in Grey. 

We need a manger with contacts in the game not a under 23 coach

If it was an honest man like Thompson or some foreign coach bringing in players that don’t know the league I know who I want.

• Like 1

I think that the sensible plan is for NT/ Bullen to run the team until the closed season... There is no point employing anyone else now, as NT/ Bullen know the team and hopefully they will grind out the results to stay up... Then come closed season we need to do a Wolves (if possible) and go all out for promotion because the FFP rules don't apply if promoted..  

Just now, Tollertonowl said:

I think that the sensible plan is for NT/ Bullen to run the team until the closed season... There is no point employing anyone else now, as NT/ Bullen know the team and hopefully they will grind out the results to stay up... Then come closed season we need to do a Wolves (if possible) and go all out for promotion because the FFP rules don't apply if promoted..  

Alternatively we drift around the relegation zone for a few years until FFP rules aren't an issue...

NT is now 100% the best option in my view.

Given the uncertainty of our future, the ineptitude of the owner etc, etc. As there is zero chance that we have a contingency in place if the worst happens its pointless installing someone on that basis.

NT has actually done a great job, probably our best run of results in ages, he knows the players and to his credit has a very personable and relaxed demeanor (in public anyway) Somehow I feel that this will be more beneficial than bringing in a new guy, especially on a 4 month deal......

• Like 1

Why on earth would you change the manager now?

The squad is in such a precarious situation ,  it would be madness to get rid of a manager who is doing really well in the circumstances. 

If Thompson doesn't fancy it permanently then that's another matter.

The only other solution I can think of is Hutchinson as player/manager , with an old head as an assistant supporting him. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Lucas Joao's Tooth said:

And if we get relegated everyone will be saying we should have brought a manager in.... swings and roundabouts.

Absolutely blinded by euphoria if you think we played well today.
We don't create anything and again lucky we didn't get punished

The story says it all the back 3 were our best players on the pitch.

Before today everyone was saying how we need to get a manager in and how negative the tactics were.

A win and he's now the messiah.

So you think we should limp on this season with Thompson in charge to then at the end of the season make a decision based on what league we are in?

Yes. That’s exactly what I think we should do. He knows the players and has got them competing. 
Would you stick with him or twist?  
Who’s going to set the world alight with this squad?

I liked his selection yesterday, putting round pegs in round holes and playing to the players strengths. 
I’d take 1-0 victories from now to eternity. 
Pulis wasn’t clever enough to realise that we needed to score more goals. 
And Monk was happy to slowly play the ball back and sideways with little link-up play in the final third. 
I didn’t see Cov and you can’t judge us against a strong Everton side in a match we didn’t want to win or get injuries from. 
This guy’s got better results in a month than we’ve had since the wheels started to come off in December 2019. 
If Paul Cook had come in after Pulis and got the same results we’d be talking about scraping up and pushing for the play offs next year with his players after a clear out. 
because it’s Thompson nobody expects him to do well. 
whi had though Pulis would get so few points? 
we knew it wouldn’t be pretty but I honestly thought he’s turn us around quickly, but not as quickly as Thompson has. There are no guarantees when appointing a manager, just look at Man U’s last three before OGS. 

14 minutes ago, Sweet Shezza said:

Yes. That’s exactly what I think we should do. He knows the players and has got them competing. 
Would you stick with him or twist?  
Who’s going to set the world alight with this squad?

I liked his selection yesterday, putting round pegs in round holes and playing to the players strengths. 
I’d take 1-0 victories from now to eternity. 
Pulis wasn’t clever enough to realise that we needed to score more goals. 
And Monk was happy to slowly play the ball back and sideways with little link-up play in the final third. 
I didn’t see Cov and you can’t judge us against a strong Everton side in a match we didn’t want to win or get injuries from. 
This guy’s got better results in a month than we’ve had since the wheels started to come off in December 2019. 
If Paul Cook had come in after Pulis and got the same results we’d be talking about scraping up and pushing for the play offs next year with his players after a clear out. 
because it’s Thompson nobody expects him to do well. 
whi had though Pulis would get so few points? 
we knew it wouldn’t be pretty but I honestly thought he’s turn us around quickly, but not as quickly as Thompson has. There are no guarantees when appointing a manager, just look at Man U’s last three before OGS. 

Either give it him permanently for a few years or bring in a manager.

Not saying  anyone is going to set the world on fire with this team because it's a thrown together squad with no balance and we need to avoid that in the future, when we've got around 13 players out of contract it's important we get get the situation sorted and stop looking short term. We need a long term plan.

Your're missing the point its not that i don't expect Thompson to do well it's that he's not the answer for a short term appointment just to be back in this predicament come the summer when we don't know what league we will be in.

Thompson isn't the issue we need a manager in and one for more than just 4 months. Now is our time to plan ahead and rebuild for whatever the situation.

Not leave the club to decide who stays and who goes and then bring a new manager in over the summer giving him whatever is left and saying do your best with that lot, giving him only a pre season to bring new players etc in and then trying to get them playing a certain way.

Now is our time to rebuild and plan ahead short term appointments are not the way forward.

Why would i look at Man Utd? a team that's stable in the premiership, i look at realism, what Rotherham did under Warne.

We bashed the club for not having a long term vision now people are calling for a short term appointment. it's actually laughable.

It's the easy option and we will only be back in this predicament come the summer not sure how people don't see that.

6 hours ago, Lucas Joao's Tooth said:

Either give it him permanently for a few years or bring in a manager.

Not saying  anyone is going to set the world on fire with this team because it's a thrown together squad with no balance and we need to avoid that in the future, when we've got around 13 players out of contract it's important we get get the situation sorted and stop looking short term. We need a long term plan.

Your're missing the point its not that i don't expect Thompson to do well it's that he's not the answer for a short term appointment just to be back in this predicament come the summer when we don't know what league we will be in.

Thompson isn't the issue we need a manager in and one for more than just 4 months. Now is our time to plan ahead and rebuild for whatever the situation.

Not leave the club to decide who stays and who goes and then bring a new manager in over the summer giving him whatever is left and saying do your best with that lot, giving him only a pre season to bring new players etc in and then trying to get them playing a certain way.

Now is our time to rebuild and plan ahead short term appointments are not the way forward.

Why would i look at Man Utd? a team that's stable in the premiership, i look at realism, what Rotherham did under Warne.

We bashed the club for not having a long term vision now people are calling for a short term appointment. it's actually laughable.

It's the easy option and we will only be back in this predicament come the summer not sure how people don't see that.

I'm all for planning but we need to stay up. We need a fire fighter for the short term and  this guy is working wonders. We'd be mad to boot him out now as league one would be a disaster.

I'm sure the chairman has another long term plan. Fans who think he chucks millions at it without one are deluded. There are a lot of angry fans because the last plan failed spectacularly and now we're skint and the chairman won't share his thoughts or financial records.

Every championship club is probably looking for the same thing as we are but the odds are stacked against us being the one that appoints a Chris Wilder who comes in and builds a club. I bet Chansiri thought he had a chance of achieving that when he set Monk on.

All clubs want to bring through you for 'free' or buy cheap and develop into a promotion side. Or buy cheap, sell expensive and reinvest. It's a competitive business and right now we need results, which we're getting.

Managers out of work will still be assessing players and ready to go come May.