Interesting read....Championship salarys

5 hours ago, paul92vr6 said:

NOT me, I canned sky years ago for this reason they are the fuel for everything that is wrong in the game today will not spend a penny on sport packages.  

It's a fair point and an opinion I have agreed with but look at it from another perspective.

Sky pump money into the game at all levels of the professional game, more than anyone else has ever done. The money they put into the Pl is disproportionate but that is where they make their money from. The do provide very good coverage of the sport, it is not up to them to govern how the money is distributed and how competitiveness can be maintained and if the powers that be do want to govern and protect the game on that basis then they need to do more.  

4 hours ago, damianb1 said:

I couldn't believe how much Simeone earns at Atletico Madrid,£35.9 m, that's a little under £700k p/w!!!

He has certainly done well for him self and made the most of his worth, the difference to the next best paid manager is staggering.

He has been a fundamental part of Atletico continuing to challenge the big 2 in Spain though and from their perspective, if they didn't pay to keep him it would be more difficult and a risk to be able to attract another manager that would achieve the same for so long. They finished 5th in the season he took over part-way through the campaign and haven't finished lower than 3rd since. Prior to that they hadn't finished in the top 3 in 20 years. 

2 hours ago, torryowl said:

are 888 a  reputable site coz those figures seem way over the top ?......

Some of the figures will be accurate and certainly in the right ball park but there are so many inaccuracies in the text itself, it isn't the most well-written piece to say the least. 

those wage figures will be based on pre covid contracts. certainly contracts have come done and thats main reason why there are so few transfers as nobody wants to pay inflated wages in there situation.  rhodes on 35-40k a week is highly unlikely to get more than 8k a week elsewhere and even at that a club would be mad. 

Those wages (which are admittedly obscene) make our survival this season all the more crucial in my opinion.

There’s a salary cap in L1/2 isn’t there? We won’t be able to attract anyone decent if we are forced into paying a certain amount and we will be miles away from being competitive. That cap is only going to make the gap between the championship and L1 bigger I think.

15 minutes ago, edinburghowl said:

Those wages (which are admittedly obscene) make our survival this season all the more crucial in my opinion.

There’s a salary cap in L1/2 isn’t there? We won’t be able to attract anyone decent if we are forced into paying a certain amount and we will be miles away from being competitive. That cap is only going to make the gap between the championship and L1 bigger I think.

The gap will undoubtedly grow between League 1 and the Championship with the salary cap but why would we be unable to attract among the best players at that level if we were relegated?

If you were a 3rd division footballer you'd want to play for a team that can attract 15,000-25,000 at that level rather than a club with a 6K average. 

34 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

The gap will undoubtedly grow between League 1 and the Championship with the salary cap but why would we be unable to attract among the best players at that level if we were relegated?

If you were a 3rd division footballer you'd want to play for a team that can attract 15,000-25,000 at that level rather than a club with a 6K average. 

And what happens after we get promoted? I’m talking about the seasons afterwards where we then need to compete in the second tier again. 

6 minutes ago, edinburghowl said:

And what happens after we get promoted? I’m talking about the seasons afterwards where we then need to compete in the second tier again. 

Sheffield United have got players who couldn't get them out of the 3rd division playing in the Premier League, due to a few reasonable purchases to play alongside them. 

It's not impossible and we have hardly competed well in the last 3 years with a bloated wage bill. Getting us back to a manageable budget and building from that might just be a better approach. 

31 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Sheffield United have got players who couldn't get them out of the 3rd division playing in the Premier League, due to a few reasonable purchases to play alongside them. 

It's not impossible and we have hardly competed well in the last 3 years with a bloated wage bill. Getting us back to a manageable budget and building from that might just be a better approach. 

It could be a better approach, and it’s not impossible, and yes the Blades did have success with average players. They’re the exception though and not the rule.

I think having a better budget, spent wisely, (and that’s where we went wrong) is a clear advantage. If we are limited in terms of signings and wages that will put as at a competitive disadvantage 

6 minutes ago, edinburghowl said:

It could be a better approach, and it’s not impossible, and yes the Blades did have success with average players. They’re the exception though and not the rule.

I think having a better budget, spent wisely, (and that’s where we went wrong) is a clear advantage. If we are limited in terms of signings and wages that will put as at a competitive disadvantage 

They are the exception I agree, but we won't be the only club at this level to feel a significant pinch coming in terms of salary budget. If we were to get relegated and come back at the first attempt then we would be able to increase spending again based on the significant increase in income and crowds that are comparatively good at this level, the teams with a significant financial advantage would be the ones with parachute payments, which is nothing new. 

52 minutes ago, edinburghowl said:

We are not going to get promoted from L1,(if relegated)quite the opposite.Decisions made now(who we keep) will dictate the future of the Club....if the same old,same old players are re contracted,than in my view we will plummet

This entire squad needs an over haul with ,BB,TL,WW,SH,PP,Odubajo gone in my view....

10 hours ago, nethertonowl said:

How the hell can a third rate footballer earn three times what a Doctor earns and 7 or 8 times what the average man or woman does? Just take a moment to let that sink in! 

I've always said players wages should be per annum  not per week as £5,000 doesn't seem much but £260, 000 a year means you can compare it with others, like you say.  And they get their work clothes, free gym membership, private medical treatment, and in some cases a car.  Most will get financial advice to avoid paying tax.   You only need to play for a third division club for 10 years and, if you are sensible with your money you never need to work again. 

• Love 1

If anyone's interested, Ive had a peak around and the 68k per week player is between 2 players.

At Watford, last season Ismaila Sarr and Andre Gray was both on 63k per week. 

It's definitely one of those 2 for the top earner in The Championship on 68k per week. 

The highest ever payed Championship player was Wilfred Bony, while at Swansea, 90k per week.

Guest LondonOwl313
16 hours ago, nethertonowl said:

How the hell can a third rate footballer earn three times what a Doctor earns and 7 or 8 times what the average man or woman does? Just take a moment to let that sink in! 

The wages are set by market forces and there’s nothing wrong with that. If people want to label them as third rate, there’s nothing stopping them putting their boots on and getting a contract themselves if the money is so important. Except people don’t do that which suggests it’s not that easy to make it even at a poor level like ours. Anyone with an average or above IQ (half the population) and the willpower to

study for 5 years can become a doctor. Only a small percentage of people can make it as footballers.. for every pro there will be probably 50 young lads who can play a bit who get released and go back to the pub teams. That’s why they get paid more if they make it, it’s a more difficult skill 

There’s a wider problem in that outgoings are far in excess of revenue for most teams at this level. As long as wealthy owners are prepared to make up the shortfall in the hope of achieving the PL windfall then nothing will change. I’m just surprised that more clubs haven’t gone bust in recent years

13 hours ago, LondonOwl313 said:

The wages are set by market forces and there’s nothing wrong with that. If people want to label them as third rate, there’s nothing stopping them putting their boots on and getting a contract themselves if the money is so important. Except people don’t do that which suggests it’s not that easy to make it even at a poor level like ours. Anyone with an average or above IQ (half the population) and the willpower to

study for 5 years can become a doctor. Only a small percentage of people can make it as footballers.. for every pro there will be probably 50 young lads who can play a bit who get released and go back to the pub teams. That’s why they get paid more if they make it, it’s a more difficult skill 

There’s a wider problem in that outgoings are far in excess of revenue for most teams at this level. As long as wealthy owners are prepared to make up the shortfall in the hope of achieving the PL windfall then nothing will change. I’m just surprised that more clubs haven’t gone bust in recent years

This 'market forces' balony really makes me laugh,what about 'moral' forces? a Q thats rarely if ever asked....Most on here really know 'market forces' in a post Thatcherite World....(it wasnt always like that!!)

The fact that the game is awash with money,& largely unregulated on how its spent,doesnt mean its right does it? And there lay the problem....

Game finances need totally re-organising...& the footballers gravy train re looked at..(its our NationaL Game,and in my view its being ruined).as to the rest of us.......all i see of the market forces Philosophy is ordinary working class people being unable to earn decent money,or be paid properly for things like working nights,etc....& job security? forget it

Edited by parajack

Guest LondonOwl313
5 hours ago, parajack said:

This 'market forces' balony really makes me laugh,what about 'moral' forces? a Q thats rarely if ever asked....Most on here really know 'market forces' in a post Thatcherite World....(it wasnt always like that!!)

The fact that the game is awash with money,& largely unregulated on how its spent,doesnt mean its right does it? And there lay the problem....

Game finances need totally re-organising...& the footballers gravy train re looked at..(its our NationaL Game,and in my view its being ruined).as to the rest of us.......all i see of the market forces Philosophy is ordinary working class people being unable to earn decent money,or be paid properly for things like working nights,etc....& job security? forget it

There’s no such thing as moral forces lol.. my motto is if it’s that easy to make this money being a pro footballer then why not go and get a contract with a club and exploit this perceived scandalous overpayment of players 

16 hours ago, LondonOwl313 said:

There’s no such thing as moral forces lol.. my motto is if it’s that easy to make this money being a pro footballer then why not go and get a contract with a club and exploit this perceived scandalous overpayment of players 

No such thing as morality when making decisions? i agree with you,why be a decent Employer?  now? what consequences are there for treating your staff poorly?? **** all,& thats why we have homeless on the streets,zero hour contracts ,c**p paid jobs & **** all job security.

Maybe thats why we also see footballers ignoring lockdown & the multiple other ****s tricks we see weekly...

We will do it,because of money & because we can,... 'market forces'  so its got to be right...eh?Bit like the new 'super league' being touted by a select few eh? market forces again?...never mind the consequences to the game we love......

Edited by parajack

A certain striker with an R8 joined Wednesday on wait for it....£56k per week!

...and that upset the apple cart as we all remember....

World has gone mad, but owners must gamble to get out of this league OR you find a rare gem of a manager (like Wilder). But get it wrong and it lands you deep in the mire doesn’t it Mr C!