Interesting read....Championship salarys

24 minutes ago, nethertonowl said:

How the hell can a third rate footballer earn three times what a Doctor earns and 7 or 8 times what the average man or woman does? Just take a moment to let that sink in! 

It's massively crazy when you think about it, but no one is paying a huge media conglomerate to watch a doctor do his GP session on TV for £60+ month.

It's not the normal fans that have caused this, it's the wierdo middle class Nigels who got into the game with the media explosion around the game, the type who don't support anyone but have a soft spot for Arsenal, Man Utd, Chelsea, Barcelona - and despite being English, support and cheer on Spain & Brazil in the world cup. They've brought the money at the top of the game by forking out for Sky, which means everyone below is playing catch up which isn't sustainable 

I think with Covid we're starting to see the bubble burst and it's going to get a hell of a lot worse for a lot of teams before it gets a lot better. even decently run clubs are suffering so it doesn't bode well at all for teams ran like us

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, paul92vr6 said:

NOT me, I canned sky years ago for this reason they are the fuel for everything that is wrong in the game today will not spend a penny on sport packages.  

Consider this though.... it’s not mandatory for clubs to take TV money and use it to fund bidding wars for players fees and salaries. They could use the money to improve facilities, to reduce ticket prices, to contribute more to their local community, to turn a profit. To become sustainable, going concerns. 

It’s not the revenue that’s the fundamental issue. It’s the appalling misuse of funds and individual greed fuelled by the market imperfection of “agents” 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Gob_Bluth said:

It's massively crazy when you think about it, but no one is paying a huge media conglomerate to watch a doctor do his GP session on TV for £60+ month.

It's not the normal fans that have caused this, it's the wierdo middle class Nigels who got into the game with the media explosion around the game, the type who don't support anyone but have a soft spot for Arsenal, Man Utd, Chelsea, Barcelona - and despite being English, support and cheer on Spain & Brazil in the world cup. They've brought the money at the top of the game by forking out for Sky, which means everyone below is playing catch up which isn't sustainable 

I think with Covid we're starting to see the bubble burst and it's going to get a hell of a lot worse for a lot of teams before it gets a lot better. even decently run clubs are suffering so it doesn't bode well at all for teams ran like us

I think wages in football would have gone up a lot higher then inflation because if the increase in the games popularity like you mention.

The games appeal is much broader then it was 30 years ago when it was mainly working class males in the main who went to games.

Think the real explosion is wages has come about when clubs have taken over by mega rich foreign owners in a ego trip.
Mike Ashley said he could just about compete when he took over Newcastle with the top clubs but with the influx of the mega rich owners even someone as loaded as him is left far behind.

2 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Consider this though.... it’s not mandatory for clubs to take TV money and use it to fund bidding wars for players fees and salaries. They could use the money to improve facilities, to reduce ticket prices, to contribute more to their local community, to turn a profit. To become sustainable, going concerns. 

It’s not the revenue that’s the fundamental issue. It’s the appalling misuse of funds and individual greed fuelled by the market imperfection of “agents” 

They could be even most supporters while moaning about how much players are on are really not that fussed if the team wins its next couple of games.

34 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

I think wages in football would have gone up a lot higher then inflation because if the increase in the games popularity like you mention.

The games appeal is much broader then it was 30 years ago when it was mainly working class males in the main who went to games.

Think the real explosion is wages has come about when clubs have taken over by mega rich foreign owners in a ego trip.
Mike Ashley said he could just about compete when he took over Newcastle with the top clubs but with the influx of the mega rich owners even someone as loaded as him is left far behind.

We wouldn't have got the foreign rich mega owners without the casual fans from around the world

It's a vicious circle, the mega rich follow the money, if they're was no money they wouldn't have bought in

In the Championship you can have 2 seasons of investment and if you don’t go up then you need an immediate firesale, followed by a season or two to reset for the next attempt.

In reality this was the biggest mistake Chansiri made, he kept chasing the dragon rather than making a tougher (but smarter) long-term decision to dismantle everything. Ironically, I think he made this decision as he thought it would make fans happy...when in reality most of the misery we’ve had had been caused by this strategic decision

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Gob_Bluth said:

We wouldn't have got the foreign rich mega owners without the casual fans from around the world

It's a vicious circle, the mega rich follow the money, if they're was no money they wouldn't have bought in

Think it a combination of money and ego / status that has brought the mega rich owners here.
Think it is soulless that clubs that have been there since Victorian times and been a big part of life of the towns and cities they are located are now play things for people who wouldn't have been able to find the towns and cities where the clubs are 2 months before they brought them.

In some sense I don’t begrudge players getting good money. The numbers of hedge fund managers, partners in big law/ accounting/ consulting firms, directors of large companies etc etc who earn very large amounts of money is also huge. You just don’t have lists of them!

The main problem is the unsustainably of it all. Championship clubs rolling the dice and gambling their own futures to chase Premier League football. The ones who do make it rarely stay anyway so you do wonder what’s the point? 

The only thing I take comfort from is i watch my Sky matches on someone else’s login!

2 hours ago, FinnishOwl said:

Exactly my point! Those insane figures for Prem and Championship players have obscured the fact that these days, you can make a very decent living playing at the third or fourth level of English football. Absolutely mind boggling. No wonder the clubs are just bleeding because it's totally broken. I don't know what they actually earn in Finland, but I'd say that in the top tier which is probably mostly close to top L1, they do make a living but it's nothing like those figures unless you are a star player.

Become a Millionaire actually,if the figures are accurate.yes it might take you a while,but dont forget the alleged creative accounting that we find these days

12 hours ago, Sticky Micky said:

29k a week for kicking a bag of wind about, while theres people struggling to put food in mouths

Makes you sick

It does.. but that’s what the business is willing to pay. Football makes that much money as a business, so players deserve a chunk of it, as they are what makes the product attractive.

but yeah... the money is crazy!  

4 hours ago, Gob_Bluth said:

Bang on mate. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

In some sense I don’t begrudge players getting good money. The numbers of hedge fund managers, partners in big law/ accounting/ consulting firms, directors of large companies etc etc who earn very large amounts of money is also huge. You just don’t have lists of them!

The main problem is the unsustainably of it all. Championship clubs rolling the dice and gambling their own futures to chase Premier League football. The ones who do make it rarely stay anyway so you do wonder what’s the point? 

The only thing I take comfort from is i watch my Sky matches on someone else’s login!

At the end of the day you go to watch football because of the players - they’re the “talent”, we expect that they perform and ultimately their individual performances within the team is the reason we’re there so if anyone should be rewarded I’d rather it be them than some filthy rich owner creaming off the top. The problem comes when that balance of power shifts too much in favour of players (and agents) and the club ends up paying them more than they can generate. That balance tipped a long time ago and despite all the talk of COVID being the reset football needed it seems the players and agents have got more greedy and outrageous with their demands. 
In addition, there’s some that dismiss the effect parachute payments have on this league - holding Brentford up as a model of how to run a football club. That maybe true but there’s plenty more clubs that have got promoted following the “spend spend spend” model than the slow building of Brentford. Parachute payments encourage clubs to spend beyond their means by either protecting relegated clubs from the harsh realities of championship football or giving the other clubs a reason to try and keep up. 
There’s only one way out of this and it’s concerted effort to take back control from the agents - leaving out of contract players alone until their wage demands fit with what the clubs can afford and not indulging players already at the club by presenting them with big contracts to stop them joining rivals. That and some joined up thinking between the EFL & PL.

3 minutes ago, Yellowbelly said:

There’s only one way out of this and it’s concerted effort to take back control from the agents - leaving out of contract players alone until their wage demands fit with what the clubs can afford and not indulging players already at the club by presenting them with big contracts to stop them joining rivals. That and some joined up thinking between the EFL & PL.

Out of interest what chance do you think that this will happen and there will be a reset?

Ive always assumed its a bubble, and at some point bubbles burst, leaving a mess behind. But I suppose it could happen in a more managed way as you describe. 

3 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

Out of interest what chance do you think that this will happen and there will be a reset?

Ive always assumed its a bubble, and at some point bubbles burst, leaving a mess behind. But I suppose it could happen in a more managed way as you describe. 

Unfortunately I doubt whether it will happen at all. I think clubs are more afraid of slipping behind the competition than they are about going bust and as such any club trying to make a stand will have the situation instantly exploited by a rival. As soon as Covids out the way everything will go back to “normal” and the gravy train will roll on. For an example look at Barca - under mountains of debt but in no real danger of folding as the system is there to stop the big boys feeling the pinch. They may have a season or two of reduced investment but you can guarantee there will be some creative accountancy going on to ensure they’re still competitive. Ultimately the players will win - Messi etc will just move on to the next rich club willing to pay them what they want and no lessons will have been learnt by anybody.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

I can understand the real top players who are household names like Harry Kane, Augero and Mo Sahla get the really big wages.

Sort of players people will still be talking about in 25 years time.

It when in professional terms fairly average players like we have at Wednesday who are on £30k per week where the game has gone seriously wrong.
I dont expect them to be on minimum wage and catching the bus to training but to me it created too big a gap between people who watch the game and the people who play it.

When I hear the rallying cry of we are all in this together then sorry I dont agree with that at all.

Are you as talented as Billy the fish?

• Haha 1