Interesting read....Championship salarys

23 minutes ago, FinnishOwl said:

It's funny how the average weekly L1 wage looks so healthy and still it's over £250k a year. The figures have long ago lost their meaning so no wonder the game and business model is so broken.

And then some fans on this site talk about “sustainability”.

• Like 3

Whilst I don’t doubt that there are a host of players earning that much and more it seems a bit far fetched to say that the average wage is 29k. We overspend massively and our average wage isn’t that much. So it’s hugely unlikely that Coventry, Barnsley, Wycombe, Rotherham, Millwall, Luton..... are anywhere near that figure. 

That said, pre season there was talk of a 17m salary cap for playing staff for sustainability in the division. That equates to something like 13k per player on average. Which looking at our recent windows we are moving closer to you’d assume. 

Only Westwood, Rhodes, Lees, Bannan and Reach left on salaries you’d expect are significantly over that. If 2/3 of those leave or reduce terms, I think we’d be back to a manageable base. 

Guest hirstysfags
6 hours ago, Sticky Micky said:

29k a week for kicking a bag of wind about, while theres people struggling to put food in mouths

Makes you sick

Yet idiots pay Sky quite happily through the nose to fund it.

Yet idiots (me included) long for the promised land and all the riches it provides.

I can understand the real top players who are household names like Harry Kane, Augero and Mo Sahla get the really big wages.

Sort of players people will still be talking about in 25 years time.

It when in professional terms fairly average players like we have at Wednesday who are on £30k per week where the game has gone seriously wrong.
I dont expect them to be on minimum wage and catching the bus to training but to me it created too big a gap between people who watch the game and the people who play it.

When I hear the rallying cry of we are all in this together then sorry I dont agree with that at all.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, Sticky Micky said:

29k a week for kicking a bag of wind about, while theres people struggling to put food in mouths

Makes you sick

Suggest you don’t look at Prem salaries mate.

I do agree. It’s obscene.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

Whilst I don’t doubt that there are a host of players earning that much and more it seems a bit far fetched to say that the average wage is 29k. We overspend massively and our average wage isn’t that much. So it’s hugely unlikely that Coventry, Barnsley, Wycombe, Rotherham, Millwall, Luton..... are anywhere near that figure. 

That said, pre season there was talk of a 17m salary cap for playing staff for sustainability in the division. That equates to something like 13k per player on average. Which looking at our recent windows we are moving closer to you’d assume. 

Only Westwood, Rhodes, Lees, Bannan and Reach left on salaries you’d expect are significantly over that. If 2/3 of those leave or reduce terms, I think we’d be back to a manageable base. 

....though when Westwood, Lees, Bannan and Reach leave we’d have to be back to a manageable D1 base, cos that’s where we’ll be without them. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

....though when Westwood, Lees, Bannan and Reach leave we’d have to be back to a manageable D1 base, cos that’s where we’ll be without them. 

Maybe thats where we have to go and start again. Build a team of young kids and drag this club out of DCs mire. I have lost total faith with him at the helm and im resigned now to relegation.  No club can operate without forwards but all DC has done is pickup others non scoring cast offs and hoped theysomehow refind some form. DC must go but who the hell would buy us ??

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Im not so sure. Dunkley and Iorfa are on half as much as Lees. Are they half the player he is?  Do you think we can’t find a solid keeper for less than we pay Westwood? I’m not Bannans biggest fan, whereas I’m a huge fan of Reach...  but even those two are replicable IMO for less than we pay them at moment. 

Even if the players aren’t at the level of each individual I’m very hopeful that the team will be better in terms of overall quality. What’s the point of having a handful of superstars (they are not superstars) if that means the rest of your team have to be L1/L2 salaries to balance your books.

10-15k per week gets a very good standard of player in this league. Iorfa, Dunkley, Luongo, Harris, Moses... all solid championship players. I’d take a squad of that standard over an unbalanced squad due to 40k on a striker that warms the bench or 20k on a back up centre back (JvA) or a 25k playmaker that can’t make play because he’s either not that good or the team around him are not good enough. 

I’m fed up of seeing teams of lessor players, that earn a fraction of what our mob earn out play us and out fight us. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

48 minutes ago, hirstysfags said:

Yet idiots pay Sky quite happily through the nose to fund it.

Yet idiots (me included) long for the promised land and all the riches it provides.

NOT me, I canned sky years ago for this reason they are the fuel for everything that is wrong in the game today will not spend a penny on sport packages.  

• Like 2
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, FinnishOwl said:

It's funny how the average weekly L1 wage looks so healthy and still it's over £250k a year. The figures have long ago lost their meaning so no wonder the game and business model is so broken.

How the hell can a third rate footballer earn three times what a Doctor earns and 7 or 8 times what the average man or woman does? Just take a moment to let that sink in! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

Maybe thats where we have to go and start again. Build a team of young kids and drag this club out of DCs mire. I have lost total faith with him at the helm and im resigned now to relegation.  No club can operate without forwards but all DC has done is pickup others non scoring cast offs and hoped theysomehow refind some form. DC must go but who the hell would buy us ??

Great question. 

Ive seen threads about “would you accept relegation if it meant DC leaving” etc...

Perversely he’s far more likely to sell us if we are on the up than on the slide. He’ll want his investment back, and he will only get that if we look like getting into contention for the Prem.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, nethertonowl said:

How the hell can a third rate footballer earn three times what a Doctor earns and 7 or 8 times what the average man or woman does? Just take a moment to let that sink in! 

Exactly my point! Those insane figures for Prem and Championship players have obscured the fact that these days, you can make a very decent living playing at the third or fourth level of English football. Absolutely mind boggling. No wonder the clubs are just bleeding because it's totally broken. I don't know what they actually earn in Finland, but I'd say that in the top tier which is probably mostly close to top L1, they do make a living but it's nothing like those figures unless you are a star player.

Just now, Holmowl said:

Great question. 

Ive seen threads about “would you accept relegation if it meant DC leaving” etc...

Perversely he’s far more likely to sell us if we are on the up than on the slide. He’ll want his investment back, and he will only get that if we look like getting into contention for the Prem.

To get us near the premier league would cost him millions again , im not sure he would reinvest that sort of money even if he could. We really are in the mire. You have to consider how delusional DC is with his play off target for this season even though most of his better players left and we invested nothing in reality into the team. Think he is kidding himself if he thinks he will get his investment back.