Guest mrbluesky
1 minute ago, wilyfox said:

The best bit is people justifying bringing Hutch back to take Joey’s place, and Thompson pairs the fookers together

:duntmatter:

You couldn't make it up pallol

1 minute ago, Suzuki_San said:

...but not better than Luongo & Shaw, so hopefully would be at best on the bench.  

We are again crippled by injuries.  

Thanks Carlos.

Right, ideally he would be on the bench. As it stands he is one of our more consistent and available options.

The problem isn't Joey in midfield.  Its the supposedly "better" players around him who consistently fail to deliver.

Joey's job is to break up the oppositions play.  He's better at that than Reach and Bannan are at affecting the game in the opponents third.

That will be an unpopular opinion, but I've been saying it for two seasons.  Bannan is the major issue in our midfield.  Too deep, and no where near as effective for the amount of touches of the ball that he has.

A true rebuild won't start until he is gone.  He has it easy at Wednesday.  With the constant love in for him.  He'd struggle to get in most other Championship sides.

I'm not saying Joey is great.  But let's stop blaming him, when our supposedly better players do absolutely fizz all.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Kraschenbern said:

The problem isn't Joey in midfield.  Its the supposedly "better" players around him who consistently fail to deliver.

Joey's job is to break up the oppositions play.  He's better at that than Reach and Bannan are at affecting the game in the opponents third.

That will be an unpopular opinion, but I've been saying it for two seasons.  Bannan is the major issue in our midfield.  Too deep, and no where near as effective for the amount of touches of the ball that he has.

A true rebuild won't start until he is gone.  He has it easy at Wednesday.  With the constant love in for him.  He'd struggle to get in most other Championship sides.

I'm not saying Joey is great.  But let's stop blaming him, when our supposedly better players do absolutely fizz all.

He doesn’t break stuff up though

And he’s supposed to start attacks, but he can’t, because it takes him 3 touches to control the ball.

The dude barely gets close enough to make a foul most times

• Love 1

1 minute ago, McRightSide said:

He doesn’t break stuff up though

And he’s supposed to start attacks, but he can’t, because it takes him 3 touches to control the ball.

The dude barely gets close enough to make a foul most times

Fair points.

But my main argument is that he's not the major issue.  If he does win the ball, he looks up and who does he have to pass to?  Bannan, who's stood five yards behind him.

We massively miss someone like K.Lee.  Someone who moved beyond the opponents midfield rather than hiding between the centre half's like Bannan does.  

1 minute ago, Kraschenbern said:

If Bannan would not get in any Championship side why was a promotion chasing side after him? 

I agree Bannan is not very effective in our side at the moment, that's because of the way we set up and the players around him, not because he is worse than Pelupessy.

We were pretty poor last couple of seasons but Bannan was top 10 in the division for assists, due to the fact we had an effective target man for him to pick out. Without a striker and a decent shape to the team Bannan will be largely ineffective too often, that's down to the poor recruitment. Take him out now and we won't do any better, he has created many of the few goals we have scored, we wont create more if we leave him out.  

1 minute ago, Kraschenbern said:

Fair points.

But my main argument is that he's not the major issue.  If he does win the ball, he looks up and who does he have to pass to?  Bannan, who's stood five yards behind him.

We massively miss someone like K.Lee.  Someone who moved beyond the opponents midfield rather than hiding between the centre half's like Bannan does.  

Agree on the Lee comment

But Joey does so much damage to our better players - they can’t pass to him, they can’t trust him to guard a back 4, he breaks down anything with forwards momentum

It must be hella frustrating playing with him

• Like 2

Just now, hirstyboywonder said:

If Bannan would not get in any Championship side why was a promotion chasing side after him? 

I agree Bannan is not very effective in our side at the moment, that's because of the way we set up and the players around him, not because he is worse than Pelupessy.

We were pretty poor last couple of seasons but Bannan was top 10 in the division for assists, due to the fact we had an effective target man for him to pick out. Without a striker and a decent shape to the team Bannan will be largely ineffective too often, that's down to the poor recruitment. Take him out now and we won't do any better, he has created many of the few goals we have scored, we wont create more if we leave him out.  

They were probably after him as a squad player.  And that he's a cheap option considering his contract is nearly up.

You'd be top ten in the division for assists if every single time we got the ball it went through you.  And if you took the vast majority of set pieces.  The statistic should be what percentage of the time does he affect the game for  the number of touches he has.

Massively overrated.  Not saying he's bad.  But the way people go on about him, you'd think he was Iniesta.  

• Like 1

Words fail me!  To play like that is bad enough, although we’ve played even worse on several occasions this season.  Why do people feel the need to start a thread criticising an individual when the whole team were abysmal?  I really don’t get it, you could go through every player tonight and pull them apart, why the need to have yet another go at Pelupessy?

• Like 3