Sam Speaks of return

I don't think he's the saviour many do and I think it is the perfect example of how strangely our club is run that he's back at all....

However, the incentive based contact is obviously a good move for us and I like the fact that he's out to prove people wrong... Go on Sam, show us!

UTO

46 minutes ago, FinnishOwl said:

Our contracts should always be incentive based, no matter who we are talking about. It's the only way to avoid the Wednesday way with players.

The majority of contracts are incentive based anyway. Appearance fees, goal fees, assist fees, clean sheet fees, goal targets, etc etc etc. 

When you see reports of "xxx on £40,000 per week" that is the amount they get if all the incentive based clauses are met. 

Just now, Minton said:

The majority of contracts are incentive based anyway. Appearance fees, goal fees, assist fees, clean sheet fees, goal targets, etc etc etc. 

When you see reports of "xxx on £40,000 per week" that is the amount they get if all the incentive based clauses are met. 

Pretty sure that's not right, those reports are usually the standard wage, the bonuses on top are usually kept private.

• Like 4

Fantastic interview and immediately showed what leadership is about. He addressed all the difficult subjects and 'what people are thinking' and didn't shy away from anything. Bad egg, fitness, incentive based contract, Thommo and peoples opinions of him. He is a top guy and will definitely rub off positively on those around him. I just hope and pray his fitness is good and it holds up. If so, this could be a masterstroke.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, sternlad said:

Think this is a bit of a gamble regards injuries but you’ve got to admit he brings a shed load of character, experience,  enthusiasm and ability to the team. As Chris Kirkland said he is a leader on the pitch and in the dressing room and he should lift the lads morale. It’s easy to see how he may have not appreciated Monk’s tactics and probably told him so in no uncertain terms. He makes three of Pelupessy and he will run further than the 30yd diameter circle that Joey does every match. I hope he has a positive influence on the others in the squad.👍

BB? leader on the pitch & in the dressing room? you dont see potential for a clash?...

24 minutes ago, FinnishOwl said:

We could do so much worse than appointing Thompson until the end of the season. He knows his place and we don't need any more power struggles than we already have.

It brings me back to the recurring themes. Appointing Thommo alone would be a mistake. Ok, give him til the end of the season, if that is the decision (I don't think it is the right thing to do btw). If you do, he needs an experienced coach alongside him, like the role Stuart Gray has. AND/OR.........ffs......an experienced Director of Football. You cannot just appoint him, as a minimum you would need to backfill his role. However, I think it would be imperative to appoint a senior, senior assistant. And, to be clear, NOT Lee Bullen.

• Like 2

My favourite part ‘as a team we never went through a bad spell’ 

:duntmatter:

But in all seriousness, fantastic to have him back. Don’t know why we got rid of him, another one of Monk’s baffling decisions. 

Could be key for the rest of the season given he can also play centre back... And if Westwood gets injured (again)

I think he’ll be manager/head coach here one day. As for his comments suggesting Thompson has the job. Well he’s the man in charge now so it’s obvious that he would make positive comments about him. FWIW whether Thompson is up to the job or not, one thing is for certain, he’ll have everyone on the same page and that alone gives us a fighting chance of staying up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, davidoslive said:

When he says he didn’t expect to be back in this capacity... Does he anticipate being a (the?) future Manager / Head Coach?

Interesting choice of words seeing as he has  the coaching badges he gained when he thought he might not play again. You have to wonder if a qualified coach on the playing staff, & one not afraid to have his say, was a bit too much for our previous managers to cope with.

If Thompson stays as caretaker/interim manager he will know Hutch’s abilities better than most. Who better to get him playing that defensive midfield role correctly, ie not as an extra defender but receiving from defence and moving the ball quickly through midfield. Lopez did it masterfully and we’ve seen some evidence of that quick forward passing on occasion from Hutch. Central midfield of Hutchinson. Bannan and Shaw gives you that mixture of steely passion, creativity and running power. Not world beaters but good enough to claw us out of the relegation places if we can find a goal scoring forward.’

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Spondon Owl said:

Must have read some of the stuff on here. Some very very vocal posters yet again looking a bit silly.

Only person gonna look silly is when he makes a rash tackle and get's injured.

• Like 1