Lampard

23 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Big time. Called it at the time. Not his fault, but Roman was stupid to give him it off the back of one decent season in the championship 

I think there was logic insofar as the club wanted someone who could work with and who would have the trust of the younger players, many of whom weren't getting a look in and were planning to leave.

However, the club then invested heavily in the transfer market and you have to say they expected a lot more on the pitch for that investment than they're actually getting.

Never really been convinced he's a European level coach.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

I think there was logic insofar as the club wanted someone who could work with and who would have the trust of the younger players, many of whom weren't getting a look in and were planning to leave.

However, the club then invested heavily in the transfer market and you have to say they expected a lot more on the pitch for that investment than they're actually getting.

Never really been convinced he's a European level coach.

Definitely. I look at their squad and there’s some top European talent in there. He’s not capable of managing players of that level yet 

They signed too many unproven players and have a bloated squad that must make it difficult to realise what the best team is. When you keep changing players regularly to find your best team you're in a bit of trouble because there isn't that cohesion. If anything with the difficulty they were in with not being able to sign any players they needed to get somebody really experienced to guide them through that. 

• Like 2

Guest Mcguigan

Despite his contacts meaning he brought some excellent youngsters to Derby, he didn’t improve their league position on the season before with Rowett.

Took Chelsea backwards from Sarri’s last season and looked like even failing to match his own finish from last season, this year.

Year on year regression, not good for football manager.

1 hour ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

They signed too many unproven players and have a bloated squad that must make it difficult to realise what the best team is. When you keep changing players regularly to find your best team you're in a bit of trouble because there isn't that cohesion. If anything with the difficulty they were in with not being able to sign any players they needed to get somebody really experienced to guide them through that. 

I'm not sure they had an ideal candidate at the time. They had a transfer embargo, were losing some of their best players and knew they would have to field some of the kids. The Derby job was like a dress rehearsal for Lampard and he showed he was able to a decent job while working with some of the young lads he knew and would be working with at Chelsea.

I think it was only going to be a stop-gap move such is the way Chelsea operate, unless he hit the ground running. They did add some good players in the summer but like you say they are unproven in the PL and trying to get them into the 11 and hit the ground running together has proved difficult. He has also failed to address the main issue of conceding too many goals last season.  

Edited by Guest

Job was too soon for him.

Chelsea are notoriously ruthless when it comes to results and Lampard could no longer play the reliant on youth card as he's spent a fortune. It was refreshing to see him back youth (had no option at times) and that's progressed the likes of Mount and Abraham, but I just felt he was never going to meet expectations. 

Does he want a job working for a similar owner with unrealistic expectations? There's one going in Championship but the catch is you've got no money to spend :Chansiri:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SiJ said:

Out of his depth.

200 million spent and the squad was really unbalanced. How many attacking midfielders/number 10s do you need? 

I personally don’t think Lampard wanted all those players in the summer. I reckon a few were signed above his head. It’s made the squad ridiculously unbalanced.

I will sympathise with him a bit. It would have been difficult for any manager to keep all that talent happy. Far too many competition for places and players who just don’t fit into the 4-3-3 Lampard was playing with some success last season.

But I do also believe he was fortunate to walk into that Chelsea job after just one season in management. 

• Thanks 1