Potential sponsor?

12 minutes ago, Buxtongent said:

Stopping advertising of tobacco products did little to affect the number of people who smoke.  

There have been successful tax increases to make tobacco less affordable, many mass media campaigns convincing smokers to quit, and a ban on smoking in public places. As a result of all these initiatives, smoking rates have dropped from more than 50% in the 70s to an all-time low today of around 17% in the UK (2017)

Owlstalk Shop

3 minutes ago, Grandad said:

You're missing the point entirely

The tobacco advertising ban wasn't aimed at you at all. And it certainly wasn't intended to encourage you to stop.

It was designed to prevent young people from ever starting.

The take up for smoking has hardly changed and with vaping on the rise . Stopping advertising doesn't stop need . When I was young I didn't start smoking because of advertising I started because it was illegal to buy at my age and other kids were smoking . Advertisement didn't come into it . 

Guest Grandad
17 minutes ago, Buxtongent said:

Stopping advertising of tobacco products did little to affect the number of people who smoke. 

Young people.. 

image.png.2d7b3787f7f87a33e61d064fc46368fe.png

Betting agencies 100% need some kind of independent governance and those with addictions need to find help without a stigma attached. However there needs to be a joined up approach with credit agencies to ensure that credit cannot be obtained for those who are showing warning signs of addiction 

I'm not sure we will ever see the day it happens but there needs to be a root cause analysis and if those with addictions can obtain credit without any checks on their expenditure unfortunately addiction will never get help and betting leeches will never disappear 

Guest Grandad
1 minute ago, cross owl said:

The take up for smoking has hardly changed and with vaping on the rise . Stopping advertising doesn't stop need . When I was young I didn't start smoking because of advertising I started because it was illegal to buy at my age and other kids were smoking . Advertisement didn't come into it . 

See above chart

The number of regular smokers amongst the young is now down to 3%

25 minutes ago, kirksandallowl said:

i don’t disagree but what about 

Fast Food

Cars (ICE not electric)

Shopping (some people are addicted to buying stuff from Amazon ;-) )

Airlines

Moral arguments could be levelled against all the above, where do we draw the line, what would be left as an acceptable sponsor. 

Agreed,  add In banks etc (barclays) the list could be endless. 

2 minutes ago, Chris Apolon said:

Betting agencies 100% need some kind of independent governance and those with addictions need to find help without a stigma attached. However there needs to be a joined up approach with credit agencies to ensure that credit cannot be obtained for those who are showing warning signs of addiction 

I'm not sure we will ever see the day it happens but there needs to be a root cause analysis and if those with addictions can obtain credit without any checks on their expenditure unfortunately addiction will never get help and betting leeches will never disappear 

This is the problem we have, no one sees what the gambling companies actually have in place or who they are regulated by. 

They think players can now sign up and lose thousands. 

2 minutes ago, 3mps said:

This is the problem we have, no one sees what the gambling companies actually have in place or who they are regulated by. 

WTF??!?!?!?!

That's like talking about restaurants and saying 'People think that folk can just walk in and order loads of food'

lol

HOW DO YOU THINK GAMBLING COMPANIES KEEP MAKING BILLIONS AND BILLIONS OF POUNDS - to the point that they can throw money at football clubs to sponsor them???

Owlstalk Shop

Guest LondonOwl313
36 minutes ago, Alan said:

Thanks for posting some good information.

Also - people say it's a choice, but there are certain conditions like ADHD where the brain works in a way that defies rational thought, and often leads to gambling addiction in otherwise very smart people, who just don't have the executive function capacity to not be impulsive.

I never got into any desperate issues with gambling, as I seemed to be able to retain some sense of the financial cost - however, I did have to use GAMSTOP to give myself a 5 year ban from online gambling.

If anyone is struggling, and hasn't done so - take the issue out of your hands (and away from your fingertips) and look into GAMSTOP. It's easy to set up. I still have the odd flutter, but there's something sobering about having to take the effort of getting ready to go out and walking to the bookies.... knowing the bet is 10-20 minutes away rather than instant is a big help in making better decisions.

I'm really not down with seeing betting companies associated with Wednesday like this. Another black mark against Chansiri.

I would like it if one of the supporters groups could raise this with the club!

I was diagnosed with ADHD last year and also have a gambling addiction. My problem is with financial spread betting though rather than sports betting. I actually make money out of it but it’s the fact that it’s all consuming and difficult to switch off or get any sleep.

I also bet on every round of football. It’s particularly bad at the moment because you can’t go out the house so end up watching every game and having a bet keeps your interest. 

In a way being addicted to betting on financial markets is like crack cocaine in comparison. I think if I wasn’t I’d definitely have more of a problem with sports betting. And the gambling companies do nothing at all to stop people betting. There’s no affordability checks.. all they do is send people emails reminding them to set deposit limits.. it’s just not enough.

Overall if you bet on the football you’re going to lose in the long run even if the odd win can offset it. I have difficulty losing so if I have an acca fail I then want to put another one on straight away. 

To be honest I’m not sure what can be done about it. I don’t think it should be banned because 90% of people don’t have any issues. The industry probably derives most of its profits from the 10% who do though. There are simply too many betting companies.. there must be hundreds now.

Something that I think helps if someone really does need to bet is to look for offers. Given there’s so many bookies out there there’s always some sort of free bet available. Like bet £10 get a £10 free bet. What I do is take the bet and then lay the free bet on betfair which basically returns you about 80% of your stake. That way you can limit your losses. Don’t bet if there’s no offers available because there probably will be for the next round of games.. but I know that’s easier said than done for some people 

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

WTF??!?!?!?!

That's like talking about restaurants and saying 'People think that folk can just walk in and order loads of food'

lol

HOW DO YOU THINK GAMBLING COMPANIES KEEP MAKING BILLIONS AND BILLIONS OF POUNDS - to the point that they can throw money at football clubs to sponsor them???

You know how business works I'm sure, they afford it from profit. 

However, this is about problem gambling, so I will say it again gone are the days when you can sign up and lose thousands or continue to play to levels that you can't afford or sustain. 

Problem gambling is an issue and always will be, however, the measures now in place across the industry, you will not find in any other sector when it comes to an individual trying to spend their money how they wish, but this is massively overlooked. 

I think betting & football in a way do go hand in hand, I think that will never stop - I like many others will probably have an accumulator on the weekend etc or back Wednesday to win week in week out 

I don’t have a problem in the slightest with that, or that we have a  betting company logo on our shirt on the sleeve

what I do have an issue with however, it’s the countless advertisements on tv in between football matches literally ramming it down our throats encouraging people to bet which i don’t think is morally correct. The other day when watching a match, it was bet365, ladbrooks ,888 then foxy bingo adverts all following each other. 

Betting should be a choice, not forced upon us by praying tv advertisements , glorying it

8 minutes ago, 3mps said:

I'm pretty certain they are regulated by the FCA however there is nothing bar self control to stop them signing up for one of a lot of gambling sites. It would only be monitored from the perspective of handling money.

The easiest way to regulate would be for anyone who signs up to have a mandatory soft credit check to check worthiness - not just managing finances but if they have exceeded 50% of credit limits

Of the people with addiction I've spoken to in my job more often than not they have exceeded limits. One big win pays off some credit to then take out more.

Many industries don't just check what was taken and if repayments were made but also when they were taken out or if extended and also who (I.e. high interest or even worse guarantor loans)

The problem is betting companies would lose millions and that right there is the issue - unfortunately without government legislation there is no chance they will self regulated

The "when the fun stops, stop" campaign is ludicrous, those who have problems gambling aren't in it for fun. It's also added as a final statement after promos, adverts, "kammy" as if a by the way statement.

Guest LondonOwl313
Just now, 3mps said:

You know how business works I'm sure, they afford it from profit. 

However, this is about problem gambling, so I will say it again gone are the days when you can sign up and lose thousands or continue to play to levels that you can't afford or sustain. 

Problem gambling is an issue and always will be, however, the measures now in place across the industry, you will not find in any other sector when it comes to an individual trying to spend their money how they wish, but this is massively overlooked. 

I’m not sure that’s the case mate.. what measures are in place to make people stop losing money. They ask you to set a voluntary deposit limit.. and if you deposit more then you usually do they email you to do a reality check. But they don’t check you have the income to sustain it and they don’t physically lock your account unless you contacted them to tell them you have a problem. 

The ban on using credit cards is a step forward but it’s still not regulated anywhere near enough 

23 minutes ago, Grandad said:

See above chart

The number of regular smokers amongst the young is now down to 3%

All those that smoke must just be at my mates children and my nieces and nephews schools then because smokers corners at their schools are as popular as they have ever been . 

• Thanks 1