A vote for Neil

what’s to say Neil Thompson couldn’t be an excellent manager at this level. It’s not like he’s had a fair go at it and failed (sacked) like many of the names being touted on here already have.
In fact he’s had some success with our minors even lifting a trophy as main coach in 2017, (and 2018?)
he may not be a man of great charisma and smart one liners in the media but in my opinion the real talents of managing a team are shown away from the public eye, that is in the training ground, on the touch line and whatever happens in his office in the day to day grind. 
Looking at this as objectively as I can he has made sensible team selections and coached pragmatically meanwhile getting a large chunk of our points haulage this season in his short time in charge.  The players do seem more up for which I don’t think is entirely down to getting rid of big Tone.
Having been involved in academy football for a long period he will have some knowledge and perhaps even an eye for talent in the transfer market, which will be handy since we are potless atm.

we are probably not in a position to pick and choose anyway so I’m on the give him a good go bandwagon for the foreseeable

• Like 6

I can see the logic in it, he won’t be the popular choice, football fans nowadays crave change and want that man to have a magic wand and fix things immediately. 
I look at our current set up (club wise) and wonder who and what impact a new manager/head coach would be allowed to have on things anyway. Tactics and team selection would be about it.
Either way DC goes it is a massive call to make.

As previous. If Thompson was in the same position at a similar club, say Derby, would there be a single Wednesday fan who would want him to come here and be our manger based in his CV, track record & charisma ? The answer I’m afraid is “no”. 
There are realistic candidates, some of whom have publicly expressed an interest who are far better options  when we let our heads rule our hearts. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

If we’re going with a recruitment team to identify and and obtain a certain type of player to play a certain type of way 

we need a coach to manage those players and set them up to play 

it’s the only way chansiri will get what he wants 

trying to appoint managers or defensive coaches and give them the players simply won’t ever work 

Carlos to a large degree as head coach worked 

the rest is history 

I so no reason in why Thompson can’t coach like Carlos did he’s just not the swaggering front man some crave personally I don’t mind the simple no ******** approach too especially when we’re getting results 

the mans currently delivering and he talks sense so why not 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Jamie_W said:

Aye. These things rarely work out well when the reality sets in that ‘this is it now’... Short term it’s great, but don’t buy into the idea that it’s forever. Bullen worked pretty well for a while and then the wheels fell off remember?

Caretakers usually get a reaction from the players. As we saw with bullen when we start to lose it’s very hard to turn it around. 

My worry is that our failure to bring in a new management team to run the rule over the players, start to work with them, and have some input into potential transfer targets during this crucial period of the season, could turn out to be the final nail in our coffin.

We asked Monk to manage without a proper coaching setup last season, which was ridiculous. It would be even more so to ask the same of Thompson given the perilousness of our current predicament.

If I was Chansiri I'd stock with him. Has the respect of the players who'll bust a gut for him. 

Why rush to make another pulis-es que overpriced appointment when you're doing alright? Let Thompson steady the ship n see where we are in a month. More of a manager than Bullen. 

1 minute ago, sharrowowl said:

If I was Chansiri I'd stock with him. Has the respect of the players who'll bust a gut for him. 

Why rush to make another pulis-es que overpriced appointment when you're doing alright? Let Thompson steady the ship n see where we are in a month. More of a manager than Bullen. 

It's a tricky one

It's really tempting to stick with him

I just think that it could all go pearshaped pretty quickly - maybe even starting today if we lose

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

It's a tricky one

It's really tempting to stick with him

I just think that it could all go pearshaped pretty quickly - maybe even starting today if we lose

Absolutely, the big variable is who we've got our eye on. Certainly a fair few of the names been mentioned I'd prefer to stick with Thompson for time being

• Like 2

15 hours ago, swfc1983 said:

I can see the logic in it, he won’t be the popular choice, football fans nowadays crave change and want that man to have a magic wand and fix things immediately. 
I look at our current set up (club wise) and wonder who and what impact a new manager/head coach would be allowed to have on things anyway. Tactics and team selection would be about it.
Either way DC goes it is a massive call to make.

Would rather have him than Coleman who imo would be a disaster. 

2 minutes ago, sharrowowl said:

Absolutely, the big variable is who we've got our eye on. Certainly a fair few of the names been mentioned I'd prefer to stick with Thompson for time being

Have to agree

But if Thompson loses a game or two everyone will immediately switch opinions out of sheer nerves

lol

Owlstalk Shop