30 Years Ago Tonight - Coventry (A) League Cup Quarter Final

12 hours ago, Kendo Nagasaki said:

What a fantastic night, we played Coventry off the park and the support was magnificent, BFR barmy army echoed round the stadium non stop, wow 30 years 

What made it better was the split sections for the away fans. One behind the goal and one down the side.

We were 16 and got tickets for the home end. After we scored and celebrated the stewards moved us into the Wednesday end. 

A great night.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, victorturner said:

What I recall was how mobile the players were, the teamwork and the determination. 

I know what you mean. It was amazing.

But then I think this should be the minimum required from professional sportsmen?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mac1867 said:

Anyone remember why the dates changed?

20210123_232317.jpg

20210123_233619.jpg

It was a simple case of postponements due to the weather.

I remember the Coventry very well. Left school early to get the coach and was first night match allowed to go to by ourselves.

It was of those games where when we scored you ended up 10 metres afterwards from your mates  on the terracing.

Seeing this posts makes me think what my mates I went with are up to these days.

Happy Happy Days!!!!

6 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

For a bit of context about ticket prices according to the Bank of England Inflation calculator £7 in 1991 would be worth £15.37 today.

Just shows you how stupid the game has gone. All about money and taking advantage of the paying public to enable them to pay average footballers millions of pounds. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

It was a simple case of postponements due to the weather.

I remember the Coventry very well. Left school early to get the coach and was first night match allowed to go to by ourselves.

It was of those games where when we scored you ended up 10 metres afterwards from your mates  on the terracing.

Seeing this posts makes me think what my mates I went with are up to these days.

Happy Happy Days!!!!

Yes snow and frozen pitch

I seem to remember the game being postponed twice (the Original date and the Monday night ... games were quickly re-arranged in those days) 

Anyone remember ?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DB2002 said:

Yes snow and frozen pitch

I seem to remember the game being postponed twice (the Original date and the Monday night ... games were quickly re-arranged in those days) 

Anyone remember ?

Yes definitely postponed at least once. Also seem to remember for some reason that the the Gulf War had just kicked off? 

Living in Cov my abiding memory (other than that McCall chance) was FAXING all my mates and colleagues the next morning with the words  “Atkinsons Barmy Army” repeated about a dozen times down the page with no other words and then  having to standby the fax machine all morning to intercept the abusive responses before anyone else in the office picked them up.

happy days

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, torryowl said:

i have it in my mind that we made a goal line clearance that was somewhat dubious ....

I remember this, Coventry players were claiming ball had crossed line, very hard tell watching full highlights back then, I think Pearson cleared it off line. 

Coventry had us under a lot of pressure towards end but we kept hitting them on break and should have finished them off. 

It was one of the great evening away occasions. Great game but an awful game for the nerves. When you've gone one up early on, particularly away, you want a nice tight game but no, we get a highly entertaining game and despite Wednesday playing really well and deserving to win, my recollection was that it could have been 5-4 to either team.

The atmosphere was amazing. I was on one of the front rows of the stand and, despite the game having been postponed at least once, fans had travelled in huge numbers and most of the ground was reverberating to BFRBA as it seemed as though our fans were everywhere. Afterwards, the noise was incredible and I think we'd all suddenly realised that Wembley was a realistic dream as Chelsea (our opponents semi) were a very average first division team. 

Happy days.....looking forward to the 30 years ago tonight on 27 February (and 24 February for the first leg of the semi)

1 hour ago, Bramhall Owl said:

It was one of the great evening away occasions. Great game but an awful game for the nerves. When you've gone one up early on, particularly away, you want a nice tight game but no, we get a highly entertaining game and despite Wednesday playing really well and deserving to win, my recollection was that it could have been 5-4 to either team.

The atmosphere was amazing. I was on one of the front rows of the stand and, despite the game having been postponed at least once, fans had travelled in huge numbers and most of the ground was reverberating to BFRBA as it seemed as though our fans were everywhere. Afterwards, the noise was incredible and I think we'd all suddenly realised that Wembley was a realistic dream as Chelsea (our opponents semi) were a very average first division team. 

Happy days.....looking forward to the 30 years ago tonight on 27 February (and 24 February for the first leg of the semi)

Agree 

nerves were high but what an atmosphere up with the best all time away games for it 

Wembley Wembley all around the ground 

driving back on a massive high too 

Was a great occasion and great game!  Like people said we had loads of chances to finish it off which always gave them hope and they nearly equalised on a number of occasions!

Sure the gulf war started on one of the cancelled dates - remember watching the highlights of Chelsea's quarter final (think it was against spurs) to see who we could get in the semi (we used to be confident we'd win) and they interrupted the program to say that the marines had gone in.

It was a great time to follow Wednesday - I hope one day for our younger fans we can see just a bit of the success we had then!