Mick McCarthy hired by Cardiff City

47 minutes ago, Hitcat said:

Pulis was a proven accomplished manager. That ended well...

It was like a dagger to the heart when I read old Mick had gone to Cardiff.

The dinosaurs get grouped together, but there are differences between them.

They're all cynical, but with Mick it's more about time-wasting and killing a game off.

Not allowing a superior opponent - and in our case that's practically all the rest of the league - to get a head of steam up.

He'd have kept us up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Wor’Jackie said:

Odd choice in a sense seeing as they have promotion ambitions and would be competing with teams that play more expansive football than McCarthy is known for, but perhaps there’s a sense that he knows how to win matches and he is a safe pair of hands for the future if they fail to gain promotion. Might not be an amazing appointment for them but it’s a stable pick at the very least.

Main point that comes to mind however is the stark contrast between Vincent Tan and Dej Chansiri. Tan isn’t particularly well liked by many Cardiff fans or outside fans, but he’s quick and he’s ruthless in his decision making, which is partly why they’ve had the relative success they’ve had.

Chansiri demonstrates the exact opposite characteristics and it’s why we struggle so much. Putting aside the financial differences between the two clubs, clear leadership and decision making is how to do business effectively.

Cant believe I’m saying that I’m envious of Cardiff having a new manager so quickly seeing as it’s McCarthy, but I am.

He's only contracted until the end of the season so a bit of sticking plaster. Guess DC wants a long term appointment and with the team in the seemingly capable hands of NT, he's taking the chance to try to do it right- although as we know,  nothing is certain in life 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dot said:

For those who wanted McCarthy, think about his last championship managerial role

Did reasonable ok at Ipswich.

Were a steady if unspectacular mid table side and they dropped like a stone after he left.

He wasn't a success or a failure at Ipswich.

Whoever we end up with he wont have done as much in the game as Big Dingle Mick.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Owls-Fan said:

He’ll probably do well there, but don’t think he’s what we needed with our unique setup.  Hopefully we have someone suitable lined up for us... 

lol

Someone suitable..doubt that very much..think the managerial revolving door will keep spinning with this chairman..will appoint someone not suitable again..after the transfer window closes..as usual..

11 hours ago, theowlsman said:

Didn’t take them long to get a new manager at least.

Though to be fair, Mr C hasn’t had chance to explore the Tibetan leagues yet.

I believe he’s already trodden that path and the offer to “Mr X” to come and manage at Hillsborough was promptly turned down.

7 hours ago, legendaryswan said:

We dodged a bullet,consistent though by Cardiff, colin,harris and now thick mick least they choose managers that fit the playing style and the recruitment team,suprised they didnt go for pullis,but maybe hes too busy counting his pay off to answer his emails

Thick Mick thee say? Get thee kegs down son!

8C8D88E5-526E-4055-8E57-1606F85DD768.gif

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Wor’Jackie said:

Odd choice in a sense seeing as they have promotion ambitions and would be competing with teams that play more expansive football than McCarthy is known for, but perhaps there’s a sense that he knows how to win matches and he is a safe pair of hands for the future if they fail to gain promotion. Might not be an amazing appointment for them but it’s a stable pick at the very least.

Main point that comes to mind however is the stark contrast between Vincent Tan and Dej Chansiri. Tan isn’t particularly well liked by many Cardiff fans or outside fans, but he’s quick and he’s ruthless in his decision making, which is partly why they’ve had the relative success they’ve had.

Chansiri demonstrates the exact opposite characteristics and it’s why we struggle so much. Putting aside the financial differences between the two clubs, clear leadership and decision making is how to do business effectively.

Cant believe I’m saying that I’m envious of Cardiff having a new manager so quickly seeing as it’s McCarthy, but I am.

20210123_102738.gif

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, ChapSmurf said:

Whilst I wouldn't really want McCarthy as our manager, it just goes to show how badly run we are that we sack a manager without any kind of replacement lined up.

Yes but the alternative would have been another three losses if he wasn't sacked.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Big Jack said:

It's just another to recycled has been in mould of TP.

No wonder young English coaches never progress as opportunities rarely come. To me shows how staid things have become.

Yes, but I don't think Mick is exactly like Pulis, although they are both cynical in their approach.

I think we could accommodated his style with this squad of players, whereas with Pulis it was more difficult.

With Pulis it's about grim defending and fouling, whereas with Mick it's more about spoiling tactics.

Time wasting, slowing a game down and then killing it off.

That prevents a superior side from capitalizing on its superiority.

And lets face it, most teams in this division are superior to us.

• Thanks 1