Sky Sports reporting Sam Hutchinson on his way back to SWFC

2 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

I didn’t say they were. However in time they may be. More game time should aid their development providing their physiology is robust enough at their age to support more games. Hutchinson is highly unlikely to get healthier or improve therefore I wouldn’t prioritise his return over game time for our developing players. 

I think you’ll find more young players get damaged by being thrown in a relegation scrap and getting relegated than thrive in it.

If we went down, you’d want your young players to be a big part of The route back, not damaged by their experiences of getting mullered in a relegation.

If we do go down, I’d rather someone like Hutchinson shoulders the worst of that than the kids.

4 minutes ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

That depends if it’s an option of Hutchinson or someone else. If so, who’s that someone else?

Quite frankly I don’t think FSB contributes to Keeping us up do you? Hutchinson MIGHT. 

Shaw will get game time even if Hutchinson joins. 

its all good and well having this conversation like we will have all our players available every game, but this run we’re about to have is games more often than I think we’ve had in recent memory

Another injury in there and we really are down to the bare bones, shaw has been at CB FFS. 

Hunt has made 2 league appearances this season, is he suddenly going to be thrown in to keep Us up? How many has FSB played, hardly any too?

At least if we had Hutchinson, he could have been at the back and Shaw in midfield or vice versa 

But to what end? Is Hutchinson a better centre back than Shaw when both are fully fit. Yes absolutely. Is Hutchinson a better midfielder than FSB when fully fit. Yes absolutely. But will he make a big enough difference to the team over the next 20 odd games to keep us up. I do not believe so. I do not believe bringing Hutchinson back and potentially slowing the development of some of our younger players is best for the club. Clearly you do. If it happens time will tell. Games all about opinions

BTW I have been a big fan of Hutchinson over the years so have no bias here. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

But why is it Hutchinson OR Pickering? When has that ever been a thing?

Ones a left back and ones a DM/CB?

We’re going after Hutchinson because the recruitment team clearly think we need a DM? 

You have been asking for an alternative signing. I gave you my suggestion. I do not want us to sign Hutchinson. I've tried my best to be clear. If he comes back as a defender, I would be less worried, but would prefer us to sign a younger, fitter player. Our wage bill has always been a problem and I do not think we had good value for Hutch's wages last time. I can hardly imagine him doing better this time, and whether you like it or not, there were questions about his temperament too. You disagree, which is fine. If he was such a good idea, there would not be so many people saying no would there?

Just now, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

But to what end? Is Hutchinson a better centre back than Shaw when both are fully fit. Yes absolutely. Is Hutchinson a better midfielder than FSB when fully fit. Yes absolutely. But will he make a big enough difference to the team over the next 20 odd games to keep us up. I do not believe so. I do not believe bringing Hutchinson back and potentially slowing the development of some of our younger players is best for the club. Clearly you do. If it happens time will tell. Games all about opinions

BTW I have been a big fan of Hutchinson over the years so have no bias here. 

I also agree that long term we wouldn’t want to hamper the development of the kids, I just don’t think being a core part of a relegation potentially will do them any good especially if things get toxic, which they likely would. 

Ideally Hunt would be out on loan for me. 

If we sign a striker, the extra 1% Hutchinson might give us may make a difference to staying up I think. 
if we don’t sign a striker, I reckon we’re doomed anyway. That’s obviously the key signing we need to make

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

You have been asking for an alternative signing. I gave you my suggestion. I do not want us to sign Hutchinson. I've tried my best to be clear. If he comes back as a defender, I would be less worried, but would prefer us to sign a younger, fitter player. Our wage bill has always been a problem and I do not think we had good value for Hutch's wages last time. I can hardly imagine him doing better this time, and whether you like it or not, there were questions about his temperament too. You disagree, which is fine. If he was such a good idea, there would not be so many people saying no would there?

I meant an alternative for the same role, because they’re obviously after that position too. 

if he was on his previous wages, yeh I’d probably say no too, but I highly doubt he will be now. 

It seems equally like there’s plenty at the club saying yes though, so surely that carries weight?

14 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

I didn’t say they were. However in time they may be. More game time should aid their development providing their physiology is robust enough at their age to support more games. Hutchinson is highly unlikely to get healthier or improve therefore I wouldn’t prioritise his return over game time for our developing players. 

But when you're fighting relegation it isn't the time for developing players.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

I think you’ll find more young players get damaged by being thrown in a relegation scrap and getting relegated than thrive in it.

If we went down, you’d want your young players to be a big part of The route back, not damaged by their experiences of getting mullered in a relegation.

If we do go down, I’d rather someone like Hutchinson shoulders the worst of that than the kids.

But then you have League 1 income with a player on Hutchinson’s wages at the club. Would you imagine Hutchinson would happily sit in the stand in League 1 watching the kids play ? If the young lads can’t cope with the challenges of relegation then they may not have the mental strength required for a career in football. After all, players need to excel technically, physically and mentally. 
Young players are as likely to play without fear and with energy as they are to be damaged in my opinion. 

1 minute ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

But then you have League 1 income with a player on Hutchinson’s wages at the club. Would you imagine Hutchinson would happily sit in the stand in League 1 watching the kids play ? If the young lads can’t cope with the challenges of relegation then they may not have the mental strength required for a career in football. After all, players need to excel technically, physically and mentally. 
Young players are as likely to play without fear and with energy as they are to be damaged in my opinion. 

Depends what his wages are, and what his contract length is and what clauses are in place though 

If we went down, would we really keep Iorfa? Would lees resign? Chances are they wouldn’t. 

Hang on though, you’re expecting kids with hardly any senior football exposure to be able to cope with a club the size of Sheffield Wednesday getting relegated? Some of our senior players have struggled in those circumstances in the past.  

You see the likes of Pep and co talk of protecting young players all the time, I don’t hear many suggest throwing them in a relegation battle week in week out as a good way to develop. 

1 minute ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

Depends what his wages are, and what his contract length is and what clauses are in place though 

If we went down, would we really keep Iorfa? Would lees resign? Chances are they wouldn’t. 

Hang on though, you’re expecting kids with hardly any senior football exposure to be able to cope with a club the size of Sheffield Wednesday getting relegated? Some of our senior players have struggled in those circumstances in the past.  

You see the likes of Pep and co talk of protecting young players all the time, I don’t hear many suggest throwing them in a relegation battle week in week out as a good way to develop. 

IMO you introduce young players when you've a strong team and are doing well.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

But when you're fighting relegation it isn't the time for developing players.

Perhaps. Although as previously stated, there is a school of thought that young players bring more energy and less fear. Shaw seems to reflect this. However, this is a thread about Hutchinson. When you’re fighting relegation is it the time to sign an ageing, injury prone ex-player who has been ostracised by 2 previous managers ? 

Just now, WalthamOwl said:

It isn’t a time to rely on injury prone players keeping us up either. 

I don't think it's a question of relying on Hutchinson.

He's a good, experienced player who can play in more than one position.

He's not our saviour, but it will boost us in my opinion if he re-signs.

And he'll be on a free.

We'd all like talented young players and smart-suited foreign managers playing exciting football, but we have neither the money nor the team for that now.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Perhaps. Although as previously stated, there is a school of thought that young players bring more energy and less fear. Shaw seems to reflect this. However, this is a thread about Hutchinson. When you’re fighting relegation is it the time to sign an ageing, injury prone ex-player who has been ostracised by 2 previous managers ? 

If we were relying solely on him, then it would be.

But I see him as a boost to our squad, and with no fee.

And he's upbeat, which is what we need.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

I meant an alternative for the same role, because they’re obviously after that position too. 

if he was on his previous wages, yeh I’d probably say no too, but I highly doubt he will be now. 

It seems equally like there’s plenty at the club saying yes though, so surely that carries weight?

If he comes on less than half his original salary or the same wages as Shaw, then I might give him the nod as a stop gap for Lees, or possibly Palmer in a back three, but playing only 133 games in 6 and a half years, in all competitions just shows how many games the younger Hutch missed. I cannot see that improving.

9 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

It isn’t a time to rely on injury prone players keeping us up either. 

Can you list all the games Hutchinson as missed through injury over the last 3 years 

think you’ll find that shouldn’t be a factor 

3 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Kids make mistakes, Shaw has played so well and also made 3 mistakes in the last few games that really could have been punished. 

What you don’t want, is they make a mistake that costs us (which kids do because they are learning and it’s unfair to expect that they won’t), in a relegation scenario, and get absolutely ripped to shreds by fans etc and can’t deal with it. 

Older heads can deal better with this generally.
You don’t want a young talented player getting his confidence ripped away because it can ruin them.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

If we were relying solely on him, then it would be.

But I see him as a boost to our squad, and with no fee.

And he's upbeat, which is what we need.

May as well put an offer in for Mr motivator as well then

19 minutes ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

Ruben Dias (23) Eric Garcia (20) Phil Foden (20) Ferran Torres García (20) Gabriel Jesus (23). All young players. All featuring regularly for Manchester City. Manchester City are a bigger club than Sheffield Wednesday. I assume the pressure of being expected to win the Premier League is higher than the pressure of trying to avoid expected relegation from the Championship. I don’t understand your point. I don’t understand your correlation between mental fortitude and age. 

The thread is about signing Hutchinson. I don’t believe it is in the best interest of the club because I don’t think Hutchinson will significantly increase our chances of avoiding relegation but I do think it will hamper the development of our young players. My point is clear. What is your point ? 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

I would if it keeps us in this league. There is a time to develop but it isnt in the middle of a relegation fight. Neither of the 2 are ready and playing them regularly at this stage would be foolhardy. The financial implications of relegation are dire and its the time for experience not development.