clubs to reject Championship salary cap

4 minutes ago, Salmonbones said:

The stadium sale won't be allowed in 2018-19 either - not for EFL purposes anyway.

We have lost the ability now to use the sale of the ground - we had one shot, we lost it.    Essentially selling the ground now cannot help us with P&L.    It was a waste of time.

Ruling decision states it was the year it was applied to that was the issue, not the sale.

https://www.efl.com/news/2020/july/efl-statement-sheffield-wednesday-verdict/

15 minutes ago, Salmonbones said:

The stadium sale won't be allowed in 2018-19 either - not for EFL purposes anyway.

We have lost the ability now to use the sale of the ground - we had one shot, we lost it.    Essentially selling the ground now cannot help us with P&L.    It was a waste of time.

Utter bōłlocks 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, wellbeaten-the-owl said:

Nothing other than date disputed, will be counted in following years accounts and/or P&S calcs

Accounts are one thing.   

P&S is another

Our accounts were accepted, but the EFL said that the ground sale was incorrect - hence they will not allow it in a future years accounts. 

We had one shot, we messed up and lost the chance to use it ever again.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, toooldforthis said:

No cap for me and owners should be free to run their businesses how they see fit...so no P&S either...

Prem parachute clubs have too big an advantage anyway

I think if it wasn't for FFP / P&S rules Wednesday would be in an even worse position.

Put a brake on the irresponsible spending before it spiralled totally out of control.

34 minutes ago, Salmonbones said:

Accounts are one thing.   

P&S is another

Our accounts were accepted, but the EFL said that the ground sale was incorrect - hence they will not allow it in a future years accounts. 

We had one shot, we messed up and lost the chance to use it ever again.

I'll try this again just in case you missed it the first time. Read it, you might learn something. 

56 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Ruling decision states it was the year it was applied to that was the issue, not the sale.

https://www.efl.com/news/2020/july/efl-statement-sheffield-wednesday-verdict/

18 minutes ago, ruscol85 said:

Salary cap should be a % of turnover. The better ran, more lucrative clubs should be able to pay more, that’s their reward for generating the turnovers they receive

Isnt that sort of what we have now, better run clubs can afford better players in the long term. Badly run clubs who just pay high for bad players end up with the scraps by the end. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

I think if it wasn't for FFP / P&S rules Wednesday would be in an even worse position.

Put a brake on the irresponsible spending before it spiralled totally out of control.

Our owners are billionaires and affordability should be the measure not some arbitrary one size fits all cap.

Wycombe budget should not be the same as Wednesday budget...but they should have to be able to afford their budgets.

No ‘big’ clubs have ever gone bust in any league...small clubs go bust. More of them will go bust this year.

10 minutes ago, toooldforthis said:

Our owners are billionaires and affordability should be the measure not some arbitrary one size fits all cap.

Wycombe budget should not be the same as Wednesday budget...but they should have to be able to afford their budgets.

No ‘big’ clubs have ever gone bust in any league...small clubs go bust. More of them will go bust this year.

A fair few good-sized clubs have gone into administration. There has to be some accountability. 

11 minutes ago, toooldforthis said:

This may be true however if that is an argument that Wednesday have some type of protection, the last 20 years says that we are not a 'big club'. 

Yeah we can get 25,000 in the ground but in the days of TV money and perpetually full PL grounds for all clubs, that doesn't mean anything any more.

• Like 1

Just now, londonowl said:

This may be true however if that is an argument that Wednesday have some type of protection, the last 20 years says that we are not a 'big club'. 

Yeah we can get 25,000 in the ground but in the days of TV money and perpetually full PL grounds for all clubs, that doesn't mean anything any more.

Why would anyone want to own and invest in a club like Wednesday?

P&S doesn’t work on any business level...

Players work for employers that can afford them. Fans are paying customers and want a good product. In what other sector does restriction of trading resources like P&S work? In fact where else is it a thing at all?

It’s the wrong mechanism and doesn’t do what it’s trying to do.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, toooldforthis said:

All in the Premier League now...so what did P&S (FFP) contribute to their present success? Nothing. It didn’t stop them going bust nor did it help them recover.

I agree with you in the respect that the current P&S rules are not fit for purpose but I feel there has to be some accountability whereby it isn't just a case of spend what you want at this level as continuing to spend beyond means is just not sustainable. 

2 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I agree with you in the respect that the current P&S rules are not fit for purpose but I feel there has to be some accountability whereby it isn't just a case of spend what you want at this level as continuing to spend beyond means is just not sustainable. 

That’s my point...if you can afford it it’s sustainable.

If Jeff Bezos wants to buy Mansfield and sign 30 Lionel Messi and storm to the Premiership and win it for the next 20 years...just so he can put Amazon on the shirt...P&S says no??

• Like 1

Just now, toooldforthis said:

That’s my point...if you can afford it it’s sustainable.

If Jeff Bezos wants to buy Mansfield and sign 30 Lionel Messi and storm to the Premiership and win it for the next 20 years...just so he can put Amazon on the shirt...P&S says no??

But just because some owners are said to have money, it doesn't mean they can afford it. The owners of Leeds, Southampton, Leicester etc will have shown funding on paper that should have been able to cover club losses but the reality was that they didn't or wouldn't commit the money to cover the losses.

Unless you put bonds or guarantees in place for owners to cover substantial losses then it might look sustainable based on their wealth but it might not be supported.