Remember this one? Sheffield Wednesday vs Everton in 1998

One too many benders has meant that I can remember very little from the period around the millennium but watching the highlights there, it felt like it was only yesterday. I was only 17 at the time and had gone on an inbetweeners style trip to Merseyside. We sat in the home end as one of the fellas was an Everton fan and I was gutted looking over at the away end as they were in full voice and going mental.

Abiding memories were:

1) The quality of our away support 

2) Di Canio's goal and that he was bang up for it and absolutely unplayable despite his little pal being suspended

3) Emerson Thome's performance & celebrations: The man was going berserk, not seen many of our players enjoying a victory like that since

4) The new ball that was being tested out (The Mitre Fluo Flare) which was flourescent green and allegedly much easier to see even though it was a sunny day in April? 

5) That shitty snide kick on Dicano after he had walked the ball into the net (was it Craig Short?)

Also by todays standards the refereeing for Booth's second yellow seems very draconian and backward. 

7 hours ago, torryowl said:

booth gets sent off  not hearing the whistle and there bloke gets bugger all for kicking di canio as he's off on his celebration ......its a strange game at times 

Indeed it is, A red card due to the referee costing us a goal due to his inability to play the advantage. These days players are told to put the ball in the back of the net in those situations and there's never a yellow card shown unless it's flagrant time wasting. 

11 hours ago, lambownumber5 said:

Apta they were, I couldn't pull the Black one's off let alone a pair of white one's! 

They were Pantafolo d'Oro. There was only one shop in Sheffield that sold them can't remember the name of the shop (might have been inter sports) but it was next door to GT news near where St.Pauls hotel is now. 

My lads got some Pantafolo d'Oro now, nice boots, when he found out that Wednesday players used to wear them, they sold themselves.

• Like 1

On 21/01/2021 at 17:00, DJMortimer said:

Thank God we helped Di Canio out of the club (yes, I know he was a nutcase). We were much better off without him. Humphreys, Pembridge, Magilton, Sonner et al used to score goals like that all the time. :dry:

Regrets, I've had a few, but then again, too many to mention...

Looking back you have to think Dave Richards already had an eye on his new Premier League job.

I'll also add. Andy Booth, Jordan Rhodes, Elias Kachunga. I hope we never sign another striker from Huddersfield Town ever again.

:duntmatter:

On 21/01/2021 at 21:27, lambownumber5 said:

3) Emerson Thome's performance & celebrations: The man was going berserk, not seen many of our players enjoying a victory like that since

What I'd give for a player like Thome today (or any point in the last 21 years). It's a cliche but the man was an absolute warrior.

• Love 1