Could the south of England host the Euros?

I think it will go ahead but there’s no way it will be across Europe AND with fans.

I can see it still being held across Europe if behind closed doors but what’s the point? Might as well keep it to one country, ie. England. If the vaccine programme keeps going as well as it is, you could have a limited number of fans in (possibly 50-75%) but strictly UK or even GB residents only. 

On 03/02/2021 at 10:52, PeteG_1984 said:

I think it will go ahead but there’s no way it will be across Europe AND with fans.

I can see it still being held across Europe if behind closed doors but what’s the point? Might as well keep it to one country, ie. England. If the vaccine programme keeps going as well as it is, you could have a limited number of fans in (possibly 50-75%) but strictly UK or even GB residents only. 

Haven't some French and German clubs refused to.play in England?

Glasgow and Dublin could lose games.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56250120

Glasgow and Dublin are at growing risk of being cut from the list of hosts for this summer's European Championship.

With fewer than 100 days until the delayed Euros, Uefa wants each of the countries staging matches to submit their plans - including for the return of fans - by a deadline of 7 April.

Organisers say they still hope to stage matches at the 12 venues as planned.

But the Scottish and Irish governments are yet to provide assurances whether fans will be allowed back by June.

And Uefa is understood to be increasingly concerned they may have to strip Glasgow and Dublin of their matches.

Both Hampden Park and the Aviva Stadium are due to stage four games.

According to one source with knowledge of tournament planning, the position on fans in Dublin and Glasgow is currently "very bad", with the respective governments "taking a much tighter approach to Covid than other cities".

On Wednesday, Scotland's Health Secretary Jeane Freeman said that being part of the Euros was "a really big deal" for her country.

But she added that fans being able to attend depended on "all of us abiding by the rules", cases falling, and the take-up of vaccines.

The Scottish government said: "In response to the Covid situation, all 12 host cities are considering a range of planning scenarios, including the scale of supporter attendance at stadiums and fan zones.

"Partners are in regular contact with Uefa, who will review scenario planning with each of the hosts in April before confirming final proposals."

It is understood that the next few days will be crucial and that the Scottish government is aware of the need for clarity.

The Scottish FA says it will "remain in constant dialogue" with Uefa as Scotland looks forward to a first major men's tournament for 23 years.

"We also note Uefa's re-stated commitment to holding Euro 2020 across the 12 European cities, with no other plans being pursued," it stated.

Last week, the Football Association of Ireland said it was still planning for fans to be present in Dublin but admitted it would only remain a host venue if it could guarantee spectators would be permitted.

Irish government restrictions on fans will remain in place until at least 5 April.

The British government has said up to 10,000 spectators will be permitted inside English grounds from mid-May - and unlimited numbers from 21 June.

Earlier this week, Prime Minister Boris Johnson said

England could stage more than the seven matches currently being played at Wembley, if Uefa needed it to step in.

The Football Association is understood to be willing in principle to stage additional matches in England if asked to do so by Uefa, but sources suggest there has been no such request to date.

'It's looking bleak' - analysis

BBC Scotland sports news correspondent Chris McLaughlin

Given some of the conversations I've had, things at this stage are looking pretty bleak. I don't think the Scottish government is of a mind to budge, to take any chances on pressure that may well come from Uefa. It just thinks it's too early.

Come June, we may well be in a position to have fans inside stadiums, but Uefa wants assurances now. I don't think the Scottish government is of a mind to take a chance - as it sees it - on giving those assurances. I think it might well be just too late and, at the moment, it's looking bleak.

'Uefa need 30-35% of stadium capacity to turn a profit'

Speaking on BBC Radio 5 Live's Euro Leagues podcast, German football expert Raphael Honigstein said he expected more venues to be unable to host games.

"I think there will be a whittling down and cities will withdraw," he said. "Next month is the deadline for Uefa to get guarantees that [the grounds] can provide enough access for Uefa to turn a profit.

"They need 30-35% of stadium capacity to turn a profit and it will come down to that. I'm not sure even a place like Munich, where all the Germany games are, are in a position to say 'we will be fine in June'.

"In that 30% of capacity, Uefa do not envisage travelling fans and I think that will be the case, even at Wembley.

"It's less of a problem than if it was all held in one country and if the Champions League is anything to go by then Uefa have a degree of flexibility. It's more doable and less of a nightmare than if it was scheduled to just be in Germany or France for the whole five weeks."

Looks like more pressure is being put on host countries for assurances fans will be allowed. They need at least 30% attendance so they can achieve a profit. I cannot see UEFA allowing the games to go ahead without any fans.

Sad to say it as a Scot but Hampden is a shitehole anyway so it won’t be a loss to the tournament. Good for us for home advantage but that’s it. It was an absolute joke that they kept it as the national stadium when Murrayfield was on offer to the SFA recently. 

Murrayfield has a bigger capacity, it’s a better stadium, it has better facilities, better views, better transport links, more parking, more space outside for fans to congregate, it’s better for pubs and eating close by, it’s a better location in the city, it beats Hampden in literally every aspect other than the history. Hampden isn’t even the best stadium in Glasgow, Ibrox is far better. The stadia in Glasgow are an embarrassment, some of the views in Hampden and Celtic Park are absolutely shocking 

Hasn't the SFA bought Hampden now it's strange ownership under Queens Park held back development.

Should Scotland plump for a new national stadium ,in some ways Scotland taking the national team to Aberdeen / Murrayfield  either of the Old Firm grounds would make perfect good sense.But what's sense to do with football politics