"I was almost idolized" says Carlos Carvalhal

Don't buy into this Hull was a better team than us

The Wednesday team and Carlos just bottled it, 1 nil down and brings Helan on ffs 

Again same thing against Huddersfield 

Should have walked after that collapse 

He wasn't the worse manager ever but he was 100% a bottle job 

And the way he set us up to go up against the pigs was unforgivable 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

It was reliant on then two, but then again most mangers do that. Have a good plan A and a not so good plan B.

We had a lot of quality in that team to be reliant on two players struggling with injury and signed direct wingers only not to play them. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Oh look - yet ANOTHER example of Carlos bigging hmself up

He's not a football manager

He's a salesman for the Carlos brand

In that case, let's go to Perrys and get their top salesman!! They might bring a decent win percentage n get us out of the hole as well! 😜

49 minutes ago, Sticky Micky said:

The Wednesday team and Carlos just bottled it, 1 nil down and brings Helan on ffs 

Again same thing against Huddersfield 

Should have walked after that collapse 

He wasn't the worse manager ever but he was 100% a bottle job 

And the way he set us up to go up against the pigs was unforgivable 

Agreed - it was Hull, not Barcelona.

We never remotely looked threatening and he showed he didn’t  have the imagination to change things around when it was clear the setup was wrong.

1 hour ago, Sticky Micky said:

Look at there team again. Majority of there players spent most of there careers in the premier league. They were a better team and a much more experienced team than us.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, S72 Owl said:

Look at there team again. Majority of there players spent most of there careers in the premier league. They were a better team and a much more experienced team than us.

Yes, I tend to agree.

They had better all-round players than us, and a manager who'd been there and done it before - which is why we hired him.

I've always regarded the game against Hull as a free shot, and but for Brighton's injuries we probably wouldn't have been playing in the final anyway.

There were two Hulls, the one which played in the first semi against Derby and the one which played in the second.

In the first they were great, in the second pants.

If we got the good Hull then I always thought we'd lose, and unfortunately for us they turned up on the day.

As 'Olly said: "PL nous won it".

My personal view (cheesy as this may be) is that being a football fan isn’t really about the destination, it’s more about the journey.

The reality is we didn’t win any trophies or promotions under Carlos & yes we suffered a particularly awful result against that lot.

But on the whole it was a great time to be a Wednesday fan, first season we signed some good new players, the players we had already raised their game and we played with a bit of swagger.

Fair enough if anyone can prove me wrong but when Carlos (who hardly anyone had heard of) got the job I don’t remember anyone saying ‘No excuses if this guy doesn’t get us up’. It was the unknown.

We stuffed Arsenal early on & it felt so good. So good!! Didn’t it?!? 

We had great nights against Brighton.

We broke our clean sheet record, we played actual good football.

We had the pleasant surprise of watching Kieren Lee become the Championship Iniesta.

As a fan I felt more connected to the club than I do now.

I get that, in hindsight, the DC/CC thing was all fur coat & no knickers ultimately.

But it was great while it lasted.

Great to see a bit of proper Wednesday style again.

Shame about the hangover but I’m convinced that Wednesday history will remember Carlos more fondly than DC.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

34 minutes ago, S72 Owl said:

Better teams get beat all the time by lower class teams (we beat arsenal) 

If we showed up, I'm confident we would have given them a game and possibly got a result 

Carlos did nothing to cause them a threat 

Soon as they scored it was game over 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, MarvelOwls said:

In over 30 years theres not been much to shout about being a Sheffield Wednesday fan.

Whether it was Carlos' influence or not it brought the good times back and gave me hope.

Some brilliant nights. Some not so much.

But in 30 years Cardiff 2005,  2012 promotion, Wembley 1993 only a handful of great moments.

I'm not going to say I idolized him but I'd pick that time over this 100%

And I think that's what it is.

It's the time, rather than Carlos.

His arrival coincided with our signing some very good players.

Whatever happened to Forestieri after the arrival of Fletcher, in that first season he was as good as any player we'd seen in a Wednesday shirt for many years.

Carlos just happened to be here at a time when we were in the money.

No manager before or since has had access to those sort of funds.

Were Carlos here now, with this squad of players, I think our future impressions of him would be quite different.

• Like 1

Very mixed feelings on him.

The first season was brilliant and then he and the team got it wrong when it really mattered. Lopez should have started over Hutchinson imo. We just never turned up that day.

Second season, not so pleasing on the eye, but we grinded it out and had a great run to finish 4th. He then went so negative in the play offs; it was embarrassing.

He probably should have gone after that match. The rot was really setting in and it culminated in that derby debacle.

Like most things with Wednesday since Chansiri came in, it promised quite a bit but turned into a bit of a disaster. 

• Like 1

Should be pointed out that Carlos has done quite well in Portugal.

I think he's a decent coach, but has a propensity to go negative and stacking it at crucial times. Also seems incapable of turning things when it starts to go wrong.

Edited by SiJ

On 21/01/2021 at 07:10, @owlstalk said:

Oh look - yet ANOTHER example of Carlos bigging hmself up

He's not a football manager

He's a salesman for the Carlos brand

Nothing wrong with self belief.

Carlos gave us some fantastic memories. I am grateful for them.