"I was almost idolized" says Carlos Carvalhal

7 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

Oh dear. This is a bit of a social media 'aren't I just fabulous?' post. There simply is not widespread bitterness for Francis in particular (notwithstanding the owner of this site's mania about him). However, both of the managers you referred to did oversee the start of a period of decline; one of them still ongoing right now. Of course there were other factors at work, especially emanating from the boardroom, but each has to take at least some blame for what unfolded. No reason to be hypersensitive about it.

I don't know about anyone else but I'm really bitter about Howard Wilkinson and Ron Atkinson. What on Earth did they think they were they doing?

Francis rode on the success of Atkinson's team for a season and fell out with players, he was never that good a manager. Not bitter that's just how it was. He

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, briggowl said:

Francis rode on the success of Atkinson's team for a season and fell out with players, he was never that good a manager. Not bitter that's just how it was. He

I kind of agree, although I have to say it was a fantastic ride while it lasted.

There are some managers who - while not exactly terrible - are merely adequate. They can inherit someone else's team, but are unable to build on their predecessors work. They'll do OK for a while, but the team will go into a gradual decline which they are unable to reverse. He never really prospered after we gave him the boot, did he.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Just to eradicate any doubt about this..

TREVOR FRANCIS RUINED OUR CLUB

Behave it was the clueless curb crawler Pleat that did this.

Carlos brought us the most stylish, winning brand of football Wednesday have played in years but should have left after the Huddersfield game, it felt like his time was up when the whistle blew in that game.

The Hull play off final was just a case of them being better than us.

1 minute ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

I kind of agree, although I have to say it was a fantastic ride while it lasted.

There are some managers who - while not exactly terrible - are merely adequate. They can inherit someone else's team, but are unable to build on their predecessors work. They'll do OK for a while, but the team will go into a gradual decline which they are unable to reverse. He never really prospered after we gave him the boot, did he.

Yeah and didn't he do poorly with QPR before us? 

It was immense and he brought in some good players. I always though Andy Sinton was where it went horribly wrong!!

Aww bless him.... talking himself up...he should count himself lucky he had the chance to manage a sleeping GEIANT! HAHAHA 

Loved him till he changed to crap negative philosophy.  If he got shut of that could be a top manager..... so far he goes into a place attacks dies amazing.... changes style wheels come off crash and burn.... never seems to see he needs to change and then could be a top manager....  huge shame 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, briggowl said:

I think it's rather more complicated than that. For a couple of years he was able to continue our ascent from what he'd inherited with additions like Waddle, Warhurst, Bright and Petrescu. But after a while, things started to fall away. It seems that he started to lose the respect of many of the players but it was also notable that there was a decline in the quality of signings. This was in large part down to the budget as the board had quickly scorched it's way through the Charterhouse windfall, but Francis did not maximise what he had regardless. By the time he was dismissed, the writing was on the wall in large letters, despite those who try to rewrite history.

It should not be forgotten how close he came to becoming a club legend though. You don't get to both domestic cup finals and our highest league finish in about half a century by just being fortunate. It seems to me that proclaiming him either 'great' or 'useless' is painting with much too broad a brush.

• Like 1

Not here you weren’t 

15 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

I think it's rather more complicated than that. For a couple of years he was able to continue our ascent from what he'd inherited with additions like Waddle, Warhurst, Bright and Petrescu. But after a while, things started to fall away. It seems that he started to lose the respect of many of the players but it was also notable that there was a decline in the quality of signings. This was in large part down to the budget as the board had quickly scorched it's way through the Charterhouse windfall, but Francis did not maximise what he had regardless. By the time he was dismissed, the writing was on the wall in large letters, despite those who try to rewrite history.

It should not be forgotten how close he came to becoming a club legend though. You don't get to both domestic cup finals and our highest league finish in about half a century by just being fortunate. It seems to me that proclaiming him either 'great' or 'useless' is painting with much too broad a brush.

Francis just couldn’t get as much out of the players on a regular basis as Atkinson did and for me, he never seemed to have the aura of a winning manager about him in the way Big Ron did.

Bottom line, we never recovered from losing both cup finals, the replay defeat being right up there in my all time worst moments supporting the club.  It wasn’t so much losing the game, it’s what the defeat meant in the short to medium term - borne out in our slow descent to relegation in 2000.

I still believe, rightly or wrongly we’d have won one of the games if Atkinson has been in charge - this would have generated interest, investment and momentum for the club and we’d have gone in a different direction.

Sadly, we’ll never know and the ghosts will only be laid of/when we return to the top level, something that made the 2016 PO defeat all the more frustrating. 

1 minute ago, quinnssweetshop said:

And we once wanted you thrown out of the city carlos 
Never known such a vain self obsessed t.0sspot in all my life

If you idolize someone, then you revere them almost as a god on earth.

That's what Carlos claims we did.

CARLITO.PNG

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

Not here you weren’t 

Francis just couldn’t get as much out of the players on a regular basis as Atkinson did and for me, he never seemed to have the aura of a winning manager about him in the way Big Ron did.

Bottom line, we never recovered from losing both cup finals, the replay defeat being right up there in my all time worst moments supporting the club.  It wasn’t so much losing the game, it’s what the defeat meant in the short to medium term - borne out in our slow descent to relegation in 2000.

I still believe, rightly or wrongly we’d have won one of the games if Atkinson has been in charge - this would have generated interest, investment and momentum for the club and we’d have gone in a different direction.

Sadly, we’ll never know and the ghosts will only be laid of/when we return to the top level, something that made the 2016 PO defeat all the more frustrating. 

I agree with some of that. With the same team I too believe we would have won at least one of the two cup finals, however I don’t think Francis specifically made any tactical blunders in those games. In the replay, we were the better team over 120 minutes. Francis wasn’t to blame for his goalkeeper making a monumental error.

I’ve heard people say that if we had won the replay things would have been different? Would they? We signed Walker and Sinton who were thought of as excellent signings, one of them was outstanding. I don’t see what other players we would have got different. What might have been a factor as how we would have done in Europe the following season. Arsenal went on and won the ECWC in 1994 IF we had done the same then who knows what would have happened.

Edited by sexpistol