"I was almost idolized" says Carlos Carvalhal

2 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

I guess you haven’t read Tollertonowl’s ‘Chansiri is a victim of circumstance’ post then?

He specifically blames Carlos for our downfall. Tollertonowl did also start the ‘John Terry for Manager’ thread so I’m not sure if he isn’t just on the wind up. 

Yeah I just assumed he was a troll winding everyone up

lol

Owlstalk Shop

6 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Oh look - yet ANOTHER example of Carlos bigging hmself up

He's not a football manager

He's a salesman for the Carlos brand

Not sure the Braga fans would agree with you. 

Looking back, I feel only frustration about the whole thing.

Gray and Jones built, for free, the foundations of a terrific defensive unit.   Lees, Loovens, Westwood, Hutchinson and Lee were 5 very good footballers at their SWFC peak and playing together.  But Gray never had the funds to build the attacking side so had Nuhiu, May, McGuire, Lavery, Bus etc  who didnt have the same quality as the defensive unit.  CC bought the quality in FF , Joao, Wallace, Hooper that we needed.  

We should have gone up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NorthernOwl said:

Why on earth would you sack a manager after getting to the playoff final in their first season? 

I’m saying this with the benefit of hindsight, who’d have thought the way Carlos absolutely bottled it in the final was a sign of things to come.

Taking a side blessed with an abundance of attacking talent and turning them into one of the most negative sides I’ve seen in my time following the owls.

It’s our insistence on hanging onto this journey man coach that started us on the path that has led us to where we are now.

9 hours ago, Athelwulf said:

This morning, Portuguese newspaper O Jogo featured on their front page a big interview with Braga president Antonio Salvador, who claimed he’d like to renew Carlos Carvalhal’s contract at the club.

So as the manager also had a press conference scheduled for today, he was obviously asked about the chances of signing a new deal for the arsenalistas.

To explain the situation and dodge a little from the question, Carvalhal used his time at Sheffield Wednesday as an example, recalling the reasons why he first stayed and then left the Owls.

“I recall my time at Sheffield Wednesday. I signed for a year and at the end of that season we had gone to the playoff final,” said Carvalhal (via Mais Futebol).

“I had the chance to leave for the Premier League, but I always have three important vectors to decide: the satisfaction of the president and the administration; that players like my job and are motivated; the associative mass be happy. If these three vectors converge, it’s not money or anything else that moves me.”

“I had the chance to go to the Premier League this first year and the second, and I didn’t leave because of that. I only left because, at a certain point, in a club where I was almost idolised, I had eight or nine players injured at the same time, and then I added five or six less good results. I ended up leaving, and it was not on my own initiative. Of those three vectors, perhaps one was no longer present, and I ended up going into my life. Curiously, I ended up going to the Premier League at that time, two days later I signed for Swansea.”

Carlos Carvalhal joined Sheffield Wednesday in the summer of 2015 and only exited the club in December 2017. He left a record of 56 wins in 131 games for the club.

His campaigns, however, weren’t enough to take the Owls to the Premier League.

Following his departure from Hillsborough, Carvalhal managed Swansea City, Rio Ave and now Braga. He’s currently fighting for a place in Europe with the Portuguese side, and his campaign has been enough to make the club pretty satisfied.

by Taboola

http://sportwitness.co.uk/i-almost-idolised-manager-explains-reasons-sheffield-wednesday-exit/

He is challenging Trump for self delusion.

1 hour ago, mcmigo said:

Gray and Jones built, for free, the foundations of a terrific defensive unit.   Lees, Loovens, Westwood, Hutchinson and Lee were 5 very good footballers at their SWFC peak and playing together.  But Gray never had the funds to build the attacking side so had Nuhiu, May, McGuire, Lavery, Bus etc  who didnt have the same quality as the defensive unit.  CC bought the quality in FF , Joao, Wallace, Hooper that we needed.  

We should have gone up.

Why, we were beaten 1-0 by a much stronger Hull side, four of whom are still playing Premier League football

1 hour ago, mcmigo said:

We should have gone up.

He did have Antonio though who he castigated for not coming back to defend and sold him for a pittance!