"I was almost idolized" says Carlos Carvalhal

3 minutes ago, Lincs Owl said:

At least he got us to a playoff final.  The next one we get to will be a League one or two Final.

Whenever we got to a big match (such as the playoff final or semi finals), Carlos took a side blessed with attacking talent and went ultra defensive, terrified of losing.

As critical as I have been over the last few seasons of our chairman, his investment into the side did more to get us to Wembley than Carlos did. He picked the side but was tactically naive and relied on having better players than the opposition rather than getting it tactically right.

We are now paying the price of Chansiri’s repeated insistence on renewing Carlos’s contracts.

• Like 4

Guest Therealrealist
6 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Except not a single person is

You do and the post above mine his..'we are now paying the price for dc renewing ccs contracts'

3 hours ago, FinnishOwl said:

Carlos was a journeyman before he joined us and simply wore out his welcome. His "new manager" boost lasted for that one season when everything seemed to go to plan, too bad there never really was a plan B.

On the contrary, he did have a Plan B, his reinvented season two side, actually finished higher than in season one. Who knows what the master tactician might have come up with to salvage season three. 
Certainly would have been better than what we’ve had to endure since.

• Like 4

Guest Therealrealist
6 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I don't and the post above mine is basically explaining to you that it's not Carlos fault but DC's for renewing Carlos contract

So you and the post above are saying its not ccs fault..its dcs fault for hiring cc😶..thats like not blaming the booze you had for your hangover..your blamin the company who made the booze..that gave you said hangover

2 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I liked Carlos but no this is wrong. The biggest mistake was giving him a new contract after two successive play off failures. That was the biggest mistake. Along with still believing the same group of tired players could muster up a third promotion push. 

New manager and a fire sale was needed to stop the misery of the past 3 years. That’s DC’s fault.

What we’d give for those successive failures now eh

Guest Therealrealist
5 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

No it isn't

Yuve been hatin on holiday camp carlos for ages..do you forget what you write? Anuway im not bothered..bring carlos home and job wud be a gud un🏆

3 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Oh look - yet ANOTHER example of Carlos bigging hmself up

He's not a football manager

He's a salesman for the Carlos brand

Totally agree. I definitely didn’t idolise him, in fact I always wondered how TF the players understood his gibberish, more of which is in the above article. I also always wondered and still do, who these mystery premier league clubs were, who were so desperate to drag him away from Hillsborough and why only lowly Swansea actually showed any interest when he was available. The first season was good, but his side failed to turn up in the biggest game for years and the following season was an anti climax. One season wonder. 

First season he does well everywhere.

I didn’t mind the approach second season but it was reliant on Hooper and Lee linking midfield and attack. The attempt to strangle the life out of the playoff semis rather than go and win it was a mistake.

But we need to move on from looking back to this point in recent history.

• Like 3

Let's face it we're just a nearly club - have been in my years of watching, but we're not the only ones.

We don't seem to have the capability of a sustained approached. Always rushed and then after a year or two of disappointment on not achieving the targets, we fire the manager; rip up any long-term plan and start again - always the same answer/outcome.

We've had several decent managers; including Big Jack; TF, BFR and Wilko in my time - who had success at other clubs; particularly Wilko who won the PL three years after leaving us. We then have ok managers - Sturrock, Laws, Megson and CC - these are held in some esteem amongst the fan base but didn't really achieve a great deal.

We had a whole lot of rubbish, including the latest incumbent.

The common issue; particularly in the last 20 odd years is the lack of resources available to the manager. Only Megson and CC had decent support for the respective leagues, and one could argue that CC perhaps should have done better.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

55 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

First season he does well everywhere.

I didn’t mind the approach second season but it was reliant on Hooper and Lee linking midfield and attack. The attempt to strangle the life out of the playoff semis rather than go and win it was a mistake.

But we need to move on from looking back to this point in recent history.

It was reliant on then two, but then again most mangers do that. Have a good plan A and a not so good plan B.

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Except not a single person is

I guess you haven’t read Tollertonowl’s ‘Chansiri is a victim of circumstance’ post then?

He specifically blames Carlos for our downfall. Tollertonowl did also start the ‘John Terry for Manager’ thread so I’m not sure if he isn’t just on the wind up.