Carlos Carvalhal

9 hours ago, jonnyowl said:

Braga's transfers in the summer were nothing to shout about.

Spent £7.2 miliion on a striker for Barceloana B.

£900k on a goalkeeper 

5 others on free transfer.

Spending 7.2 million on a striker we can’t even afford the boots That there striker is wearing:duntmatter:

12 hours ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

Pound for pound, Laws and Gray both better than Carlos.

I don't have any "hate" for CC, I just think he's overrated by some. Yes, he got us to two successive play-offs, including a play off final, but he did so with a large and expensively assembled squad. I sometimes wonder what Stuart Gray would have accomplished with just 25% of that investment.  

Laws better than Carlos. Heard it all now.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

Consider the budget and the squad that Carlos had.

Then consider the budget and squad that Brian Laws had.

That's why I said "pound for pound" Laws was better.

I'm fully aware of what both managers had to work with. I agree Laws did well with what he had.

Do I think he was better "pound for pound" than Carlos? Not a chance.

Just don’t get the love in with Carlos.  First season was good and we played some nice season.

The season we finished 4th was some of the most dire uninspiring dull as dish water football witnessed at Hillsborough.  In the playoffs against Huddersfield when we should have gone at em, grabbed em by the balls and twisted we went out with an absolute whimper.    Carlos was scared to lose and when the crunch came he didn’t have the cajones.  After the second season it really was downhill.

Carlos is a charming fella with his patter, the type of fella you would keep your sister well away from!

52 minutes ago, Marro said:

Just don’t get the love in with Carlos.  First season was good and we played some nice season.

The season we finished 4th was some of the most dire uninspiring dull as dish water football witnessed at Hillsborough.  In the playoffs against Huddersfield when we should have gone at em, grabbed em by the balls and twisted we went out with an absolute whimper.    Carlos was scared to lose and when the crunch came he didn’t have the cajones.  After the second season it really was downhill.

Carlos is a charming fella with his patter, the type of fella you would keep your sister well away from!

If you want to sack someone after one disappointing game (which finished 1-1 by the way), we would have about 30 different managers a season.  Carlos has cajones, and a good cerebro too.  

• Haha 1

On 21/01/2021 at 01:53, Orlando_Trustful said:

Sweet baby Jesus I miss him. I miss his aura, his enthusiasm, his voice, his smile, his celebrations on the touchline when we scored big goals etc etc etc.  

That feeling from the 15/16 season might never return. The whole club was on such a high riding the waves of CC's flamboyancy. I used to love going to Hillsborough that season.

What a travesty he didn't just stick to his guns and take us up in 16/17 😭. That penalty defeat to Huddersfield was the beginning of the end as we now sink into the abyss. 

Personally I think our style of football even went backwards during season one of CC

Just look at the opening games with Lee, McGoogan and Nuhui tearing up the opposition with "Aggressive Attacking Football"

The result against Arsenal was immense. Taking the game to a top four Premier / Champions League side.  By the end of the season we have lost all dynamism to our play, and were not even prepared to take the game to Hull City, in a half empty Wembley Stadium. That was poor.

The quality of striking had improved massively on previous seasons. And that was down to the quality of players signed. Hooper and FF were at the top of there game for us five years ago. Ross Wallace and Bannan were also striking from midfield, along with Lee. CC was relying on the quality of the players we had bought to get results by the end of the season.

CC came to us with a reputation of only staying at a club for one season. Unfortunately he got caught up in the fair tale, and it turned into the nightmare we are still living with.

Poor old DC didn't even get the credit for season one. CC should rightly shoulder the blame with DC et al for where we are now.

Anyway, enjoy the YouTube links

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

Full of kids 🤣🤣

Some kids....

One lad with a CL winners medal & 4 Prem titles.

Another 2 World Cup winners.

Two other lads with over 30 England caps each.

Arsenal put a good side out that night.

Beating them 3-0 was an achievement.

On 21/01/2021 at 00:33, mildatheart67 said:

Tearing up the place

15 wins in last 20.

FIFTHTEEN.

47 Goals

Thru to the Cup Final after knocking Benfica out.

And we ended up with Pulis ball.

Well done the know nothing's who hounded him out

What about the incredible strange fitness regime? He wasn’t all that

Guest Therealrealist
2 minutes ago, torryowl said:

impact manager thats  one ive not heard before .....is that a good thing or bad thing ?........

We don’t want no managers makin an impact round here thank you very much...it’s like when a prime minister gets slagged off for populist policies..policies that are popular with voters...we don’t need owt like that..

Guest Therealrealist
46 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

Full of kids 🤣🤣

Yeah wat a crap night...a full hillsbro rocking to the rafters...the fans..the team..the manager as one..can remember leaving 5hat night thinking ..bob bar manager Carlos..so what..we beat a bunch er kids...crap atmosphere in 5he boozer after 

On 21/01/2021 at 01:30, Emerson Thome said:

The second season of defensive non-football that saw us finish fourth in the league?

The poor Huddersfield side that came 16th in the Premier League the next season, staying up with a game to spare.

It was the defensive non football that he resorted to when we went 1-0 up through Fletcher against Hudders in the second leg that did us. 

We had them on the wrack and we let them off. They scrambled a goal and the rest is history.  Best chance we could have had to get to the PL with Reading waiting in the final.  It’s been down hill since. 

So far down hill that I’d be open to Carlos coming back. We are desperate for that but of charisma and attacking football that he brought. We should have progressed after Carlos left, our stock was high, but we picked the wrong successor.

Our stock now is well below the level it was when CC left. The longer this new manager debacle goes on, the less and less attractive we become as a club for any potential managers. 

We are going to be left with a small pool of ‘yes’ men to choose from. Not overly confident about that.

3 minutes ago, bobowl said:

He lost to United and called it just another game, that was the end for me.

Can you show me where he actually said that?

Because I keep hearing it now and again and I don't remember him saying it at all.

I remember him saying "We prepare the same" but that isn't the same as "it's just another game".