Carlos Carvalhal

Carlos won too many games for my liking, usually by using the outdated method such as scoring goals, and even more disgustingly, by scoring more goals than the opposition.  It was painful to watch.  Every game we won, I came out angry and sad that we could have lost 6-5, or 24-23.  

Thankfully, Carlos saw his errors and moved to a more futuristic and exciting defensive setup towards the end and sliding down the table clearly put us closer to promotion.   The closer we are to relegation, the further we are from harm.  If you catch my drift.  Fans stayed away because like the steam powered horseless carriage of the same age, the chances of heart attacks dramatically increased and milk turned sour.  It was exciting and dangerous, but fans loved it from a distance.

Anyone who thinks winning games wins games doesn't know anything about football.   

• Haha 3

Guest T Hardy

We obviously needed a rebuild after the Huddersfield game and CC wasn’t backed to do it, how different things might have been if he’d have been given the resources to improve us after that game 

When Chansiri came here he wanted to give the fans what they wanted - a new pitch, a new scoreboard, and a complete change to the football played under Gray.

So in Carlos' first season we bought a load of forwards and went on the attack.

But Carlos rightly sussed that the best way for us to get over the line was to be more pragmatic, as Karanka had done at bonny 'Boro.

The snag was that we didn't have the players to do that as effectively as them.

Instead of spending a fortune on Rhodes, for instance, that money should have been spent on the defence.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Owlsend said:

Good team lots of money very opposite of Sheffield Wednesday Now ...

can he manage without money?

Probably not

I don’t think Braga are known for splashing the cash. Unless someone else can tell me otherwise 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Prince said:

It was crap to watch, we had the players to do better and ultimately it failed. Dress it up all you like to justify your argument but we went home with nothing.

Spot on 

My issue is that he changed the style to one that did not suit the existing players, he did not even attempt to integrate many of the new signings, he overplayed players leading to long term injuries.

So its not about what he did but what he could have achieved with the resources to hand.

I just dont get the hate for CC, i get people were disappointed and feel we missed 2 golden opportunities to get to the promise land and I get some fans don't like the foreign manager and prefer a British manager but in my opinion fans go to far when remembering his time here 

In my opinion He gave us the best season of football in 25 years 

yes he disappointed a lot of fans me included when he went more negative the following season but he still gave us our highest finish in 21 years 

Fans saying it was crap to watch, well it was a dam site better than what we've had since 

questions ive asked myself to measure CC time at the club and where he ranks 

Was he better than what weve had ? in my opinion YES in the last 20 - 25 years 

Was the football better than we had before? again  as above yes the best in the last 20-25 years 

Have we had better since ? In my opinion NO 

Has the football been better since? NO 

Will we get better this time around ? I doubt it

Will we get better football? I doubt it 

As always its all about opinions I've been watching Wednesday just shy of 40 years and this is just mine  

4 hours ago, T Hardy said:

We obviously needed a rebuild after the Huddersfield game and CC wasn’t backed to do it, how different things might have been if he’d have been given the resources to improve us after that game 

What resources would they have been? By that time we were already WAY beyond the limits of the league's financial regulations. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PARKOWL said:

I just dont get the hate for CC, i get people were disappointed and feel we missed 2 golden opportunities to get to the promise land and I get some fans don't like the foreign manager and prefer a British manager but in my opinion fans go to far when remembering his time here 

In my opinion He gave us the best season of football in 25 years 

yes he disappointed a lot of fans me included when he went more negative the following season but he still gave us our highest finish in 21 years 

Fans saying it was crap to watch, well it was a dam site better than what we've had since 

questions ive asked myself to measure CC time at the club and where he ranks 

Was he better than what weve had ? in my opinion YES in the last 20 - 25 years 

Was the football better than we had before? again  as above yes the best in the last 20-25 years 

Have we had better since ? In my opinion NO 

Has the football been better since? NO 

Will we get better this time around ? I doubt it

Will we get better football? I doubt it 

As always its all about opinions I've been watching Wednesday just shy of 40 years and this is just mine  

I think if you take all the circumstances and resources given we have had some better managers over last 25 years than Carlos Carvahaul.
Think taking everything into consideration Brian Laws, Stuart Gray and Paul Sturrock were better IMO.
Of course we have had managers who have done poorer also as well as a couple who were not here long enough to have an opinion about.

Think Carlos did himself no favours in the end when you could tell he couldn't handle the pressure with the crumpled £20 note and the games v Hull (I think) which he claimed was a penalty for hand ball even when the reply showed he was clearly wrong. 
I don't hate Carlos Carvahaul but even when we were doing well I found him a bit smarmy.

He was only manager in last 20 years who was funded. He participated in buying aging players with no resale value and putting on long contracts. He achieved nothing (unless you call losing a play off final a success). 

I found him a fool and although football was good for a few months it was rumbled towards end of first season and he then reverted to negative tactics. Club still recovering from extravagance of his reign.

Guest wilyfox

Portuguese league is shyte.

Carlos did well here, but probably because DC threw a truck load of cash at it in a massive overspend. His successors have had nowhere near the budget Carlos had.

Guest T Hardy
3 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

Portuguese league is shyte.

Carlos did well here, but probably because DC threw a truck load of cash at it in a massive overspend. His successors have had nowhere near the budget Carlos had.

Whilst yes there was money spent, some of our fans revise history with this a bit. Nobody at all expected us to get to Wembley. It’s spoken about like the money was spent and promotion was promised. The most optimistic of our fans said maybe a late play off push, but nobody predicted we’d get as close as we did.

6 minutes ago, T Hardy said:

Whilst yes there was money spent, some of our fans revise history with this a bit. Nobody at all expected us to get to Wembley. It’s spoken about like the money was spent and promotion was promised. The most optimistic of our fans said maybe a late play off push, but nobody predicted we’d get as close as we did.

Plenty of clubs spent a lot more, and never got near the play offs

• Like 1

Guest wilyfox
6 minutes ago, T Hardy said:

10mil a year on players a big help. Our managers since had a mere fraction of that.

14 minutes ago, Quist said:

He was only manager in last 20 years who was funded. He participated in buying aging players with no resale value and putting on long contracts. He achieved nothing (unless you call losing a play off final a success). 

I found him a fool and although football was good for a few months it was rumbled towards end of first season and he then reverted to negative tactics. Club still recovering from extravagance of his reign.

I dont think he was a fool but that his methods were very short term.

Once those started to wear off he didn't really knew what to do.

To me CC time in charge was a missed oppotunity of getting the Premier League (Although I doubt we would have stopped there for long) and putting things in place for something more long term. Club couldn't see beyond the bright lights of going up and everything else didn't matter.

Guest wilyfox
9 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Plenty of clubs spent a lot more, and never got near the play offs

who? Stoke the only ones I can think of.

Edited by wilyfox

I have followed Wednesday for 40 years plus seen the good times and bad. In my opinion Carlos was up there with the best and I was sorry to see him go, yes he made mistakes but the managers I have seen and people running our club have made plenty.

I have witnessed people who have galvanised our club Jack Charlton, Ron Atkinson and Carlos. They all brought a unity to the club, players and the support you went in to games together and came out together no matter the result. I can mention many stand out games but the Hull play off game my over riding thought of the day despite the result....we were all as one......we need that again we need a Jack, Ron, or Carlos.

• Like 3