Chansiri is a victim of circumstances....

2 hours ago, hasthagotanycheese said:

The sooner his involvement with SWFC ends the better for all of us.

I worry the only way he goes is through boredom and just drops us demanding repayment of loans and leaves us in debt and in administration. So, i kinda want him to go, but don't at the same time. 

12 hours ago, Tollertonowl said:

When Chansiri came to SWFC he clearly stated that he knew very little about English football, but would employ advisors (to help him) and was willing to invest in our club to ensure promotion upto the premier league. He kept to his word immediately investing funds into the stadium along with a new manager (arguably a bit premature) and a number of high value players (at least to SWFC) for key areas.

Then the new manager said that he'd let the team pick itself for the first year and sit back to analyse the team performances/players during this time. The results of this approach was an SWFC team that played fast attacking football and scored goals e.g. we beat Arsenal (full team) in the cup, but also played them off the park in terms of football. Then after Christmas we were looking like contenders for (possibly automatic) promotion (at least the playoffs), which is when Carlos stopped watching the team and took charge along with imposing negative tactics, which I believe resulted in a the play-off place  (for 2yrs running) and also losing out to Hull/Huddersfield (who were both promoted).

The latter game (after a full season of enduring CC's defensive football (for the greater good - grind it out - pass back - pass side ways) whilst knowing what we could actually do as an unleashed attacking side) so Huddersfield was just unforgivable, as I've a few mates that support them so aside from the usual banter/ turning the knife/ torturing me on the final result etc....

They actually took pity on me and gave their honest analysis of the game, which was WTF was your manager doing with the negative tactics given the circumstances - does he understand the rules... They reckoned (as did I) that if we'd have gone all out attack that they would have been unable to hang on.... They also ask me if CC actually new what the rules were for the play-offs given his tactics.

Anyway after losing out in the playoffs for the 2nd time we had (with Chansiri's Money) taken a big chance on the push and spent too much on players/ high wages/ old players (injury Prone) with long contracts to get us over the promotion line, which if we'd gone up made sense, as we'd just release them...

The team we had should've gained promotion in the first year and then most definitely gained promotion in the 2nd year, CC messed up with tactics and should've been sacked immediately after the Huddersfield game... By this point we also really needed to start changing the team, as most players had been at SWFC for over 3yrs and some players had asked to leave for premier league clubs (FF/AR).... 

An example is FF who spat his dummy out when refused a transfer which (for me) we handled badly as we should've just agreed with him to stay until the closed season and then if promoted he could then leave, which is what Alex Ferguson did with Ronaldo.. He also says that a team is only good for 2-3 yrs before you start to break it up and start again... 

However we kept CC, the same team that had failed twice and then endured his (CC's) negative tactics for a few more months, which based on the results by then (and until his departure) was clear the players (along with supporters) held him accountable for failure..

Since then we've become increasingly screwed by the Financial Fair Play Rules, which means that although we've got a Millionaire/ Billionaire owner who has/is willing to invest heavily in the club for promotion. We now seem in a worse position than when we were on the brink of survival and unable to sign players. 

So I don't blame Chansiri for the current situation, as he's backed us to the hilt and took a calculated risk, which should've paid off... Unfortunately CC let him down/ us down and the team down with his poor negative tactics...

So now the Financial Fair Play/ Bosman Rules have kicked in they are literally destroying our chances for promotion along with a number of other teams that also have wealthy owners/ investors such as Derby, Middlesbrough etc. who are willing to invest their own/ partners/ consortiums money regardless of turnover/ initial yearly accounting losses for promotion. However they cant do this due to FFP rules, which (for example) is why Gibson at Middlesbrough was kicking off about SWFC/ Derby to highlight his own frustrations, as he wants to spend big for promotion, but can't... So the result was they were lucky to avoid the drop last year, we will be this year and Derby next year...

To add injury to insult (of the FFP rules) then we've also got the Bosman rulings, which means a player can leave a club free of charge after their contracts expires... So we've got (I believe) Westwood, Bannan and Reach (now playing well) who will most likely leave by the end of this season KW/BB (last pay day for them) and AR to the premiership most likely, which I believe would suit him better football wise. We also can't sell these players now, as we wouldn't get market value with their contracts due to end shortly and we also need these players to stay up this season, as we can't spend.

However if we weren't tied on transfers previously due to the FFP rules then these players would've most likely left the club already for a fee to move elsewhere. Unfortunately they are now unlikely to agree an extensions to their contracts (unless for silly wages/ long length/ unbalancing the club) especially when a large signing on fee elsewhere is looming, high wages/ long contract (no initial fee), then we have the SWFC bad Karma/ wages issue and other clubs are already interested in signing them...

So for me its CC messing up with promotion and then the resulting rules of Financial Fair Play causing the issues we have currently... Its not Chansiri who invested like he said he would in the club and since the FFP kicked in has had his hands tied... He's also done all he can to get around the rules by buying the ground for stupid money and luckily reducing the points deduction (by 6 so far) due to the EFL error on their accounting advice mistake on the ground... 

I think that NT will keep us up and then hopefully we won't be tied by FFP rules in the closed season, which is when we should get a proven manager and spend big like Wolves did and go for it (rules don't count if promoted) or we will be stuck in the championship for years to come...

A good post for defending Chansiri, but not exactly correct in terms of the financial issues surrounding the club, the complete lack of communication with the fans, the way money has been wasted so extravagantly and the way that so many coaches have been brought in purely to be sacked when it becomes blatantly clear that the players brought in by DC and his chief recruitment advisor are not good enough. The same advisor is still associated with the club after helping lose all that money, yet 4 coaches and one manager (we will come that in a moment) have all paid his price for failure. Our only manager under Chansiri, Jos, was given the manager's title but was not told when he took on the manager's job that he could only spend £50K (on Pelupessy), which ended up, arguably being the best £50K that DC has spent. 

Also, Chansiri did not start off by buying us a new pitch, scoreboard and squad then ask us to fork up a pile more money for tickets. He whacked up the prices for everything and then started to spend for England, Thailand and a few countries in-between, but we never actually got the team, or squad that was promised before our jump of faith and extra cost to fans, many of whom had several tickets to pay for which they could ill afford before his massive rice hikes.  How much of the money spent on players do we still have contracted to the club now? How much of the very expensive talent signed will still be contracted to us in the summer? How nearer is our club now to going up and how much closer are we to self sustainability? The last one is demanded by fair play rules not an option to be totally disregarded and disrespected. With his total disregard and lack of respect for everything to do with football, the club and the fans he has single handedly fannied about with every little thing he can to suit himself. He took absolutely no notice of what the fans wanted him to do, not notice of what his 4 coaches and one manager wanted him to do and no notice of what the EFL and the rules governing running a football club responsible needed him to do to avoid fines and bans on buying new players. In short he has put us exactly where we deserve to be due to his mis-management.

Of course he wants us to succeed, but not for the club's benefit, he didn't even know we existed before he bought us as a status symbol, he bought us so that he could show the world how clever he is. Well it has not worked out very well has it and right now, if he could cut his losses and the fans, or any one else, could afford to buy him out and save any further embarrassment he would be off like a shot.

The only thing that Chansiri is a victim of is having too much money and too little sense. Trying to cheat the fans, the EFL and all the other clubs in the Championship by overcharging, twisting the rules etc and blaming everybody else when it all goes wrong are not the traits of an honorable man. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

TLDR;

Foreign owner takes over a club with zero knowledge of football or how the commercial side of football works...but understands that if he can reach the Premier League he can make lots of money. 

Listens to the wrong people, doesn’t hire the right people thus makes bad decisions...and a few years later is left with lots of debt that he is hesitant to resolve as the Golden Ticket to the PL gets increasingly further away whilst his losses grow and grow as does pressure and negativity from the always loyal fan base.

Sells club which is now taken over by modest ‘good bloke’ who wants to return club to former glory. This means total rebuild, loss of star players, likely relegation and the trials and tribulations of The Football League.

The cycle continues!  

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Kew Owl said:

Yes, agreed, MM could not be expected to interrogate any potential purchaser to see what plans they had for the club or how they were going to run it.

He did give us what turned out to be flannel about ensuring the club was passed into good hands.  He did have a modest amount of duty to do that.What about the previous guy he tried to sell us to? Wasn't impressive was it?

• Like 1
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, mcmigo said:

I have no doubt football is a very difficult business to get right.  Plenty have tried and failed in football who have been hugely successful elsewhere.  There are also some very , very nasty people around the game and I have no doubt at all there is criminal and fraudulent activity in places in the game.  There will always be huge pressure to spend more by managers and fans.  

Personally I would have taken an approach to the club which is rooted in some core values that supporters , players and everyone around the club understand and buy into.  They would include - buying our goods locally in the Sheffield community as much as possible, fair pay and rights for the staff and suppliers in the supply chain (be a great employer), getting the 'Fair tax Mark' as a good taxpayer, fixing my ticket pricing to a % of average earnings in Sheffield, being a bit bolder with what our 'value statement' is to players (what else can we do apart from hard cash - can we sponsor players to do coaching badges, give better support for their families etc.), having published red lines when dealing with agents, making more of the asset we have (we are a famous old club steeped in tradition ).  I would also consult with Liverpool and Nottingham Forest, and look to hold if they are open to it each season, a Hillsborough memorial day tournament each summer between the 3 clubs with all proceeds going to families of victims and other charitable causes they wish to donate to.  

There are many things we could do at the club but to me we have to root our behaviours and decision making across the club in a stronger and clearer set of core values.   If DC had done that at the start , this would have all been very different.

Bingo!

In my real life I work with sports coaches and sports clubs. Culture and identity are the core of any successful organization. I have no idea what the core values of Wednesday are or what we stand for. There is simply no vision or mission withing the club. We appear to be slowly sinking into oblivion with an incompetent captain at the wheel. It would take some time to turn things around but in my opinion the current chairman does not have the capability to do this.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, eightbelow said:

Bingo!

In my real life I work with sports coaches and sports clubs. Culture and identity are the core of any successful organization. I have no idea what the core values of Wednesday are or what we stand for. There is simply no vision or mission withing the club. We appear to be slowly sinking into oblivion with an incompetent captain at the wheel. It would take some time to turn things around but in my opinion the current chairman does not have the capability to do this.

Worrying isn't it.

Imagine being born to so much wealth that your papa allows you to spend a third of a £billion of his money in a distant land called somewhere you can't pronounce or have even heard of before, on something you don't know anything about, for reasons unknown and YOU'RE THE VICTIM here.

• Thanks 1

Chansiri has been an unmitigated disaster. I’m not entirely convinced he’s spent the sums he claims BUT if he has it’s absolutely staggering how little there is to show for it. 

The training ground, comparatively, is still woeful. The stadium still dated, and no longer owned by the club. The relationship with the fans weakened. Very, very few saleable assets. 

He gambled financially early on and came close but with no forward planning so we’ll suffer the consequences for years to come. Top assets leaving on free transfers each season now. 

Take this season alone as a mark of his incompetence. He’s put us on -6. To help us rectify that he’s seen us waste the summer window recruiting for a manager/system that we bailed on weeks into the season. He then employed a manager who wouldn’t have the players to play his own preferred style and sacked him within 10 games. We’ve now had a perfect two week window with no games where a new manager could  have had precious time on the training ground and bolstering the squad but we’ve let it pass us by. Three weeks into the window and we’ve still not plugged the obvious gaps in the squad. 

Presumably now we’re unofficially persisting with Thompson and will make a panicked appointment when he eventually loses a couple. In a season where our own owner has shot us in the foot he’s going to take it down to the last 10-15 games and gamble that a new manager can drag us out of trouble with an incomplete squad.  

Chansiri is far from unlucky. He’s incompetent, he’s arrogant and he’s so stiflingly stubborn that he’ll toy with OUR clubs Championship existence ahead of admitting his mistakes and making the blindingly obvious adjustments.   

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Guest Grandad
15 hours ago, victorturner said:

He did give us what turned out to be flannel about ensuring the club was passed into good hands.  He did have a modest amount of duty to do that.What about the previous guy he tried to sell us to? Wasn't impressive was it?

And who didn't think we were in good hands under Chansiri?

There was absolutely zero way of looking into the future and realising the guy was a loon. He had plenty of money which he was prepared to invest in the club. He retained Paul Aldridge as CEO and put in an advisory team to assist him with transfers and team issues. He had decent people in senior positions at the club, like Paul Bell (who soon ran off back to Leeds).

Seriously. Mandaric left the club a million miles better off than when he came

And a zillion miles better than where it is now

25 minutes ago, Grandad said:

And who didn't think we were in good hands under Chansiri?

There was absolutely zero way of looking into the future and realising the guy was a loon. He had plenty of money which he was prepared to invest in the club. He retained Paul Aldridge as CEO and put in an advisory team to assist him with transfers and team issues. He had decent people in senior positions at the club, like Paul Bell (who soon ran off back to Leeds).

Seriously. Mandaric left the club a million miles better off than when he came

And a zillion miles better than where it is now

If you think any of these people, including Mandarin, are in it for the good of the club you are unbelievably naive.

All of these people are in it for the money or promise of money, end of.

The end result is the same though, we, the fans, have lost our club and football itself has been stolen by the super rich to make even more money.

Just now, Stripes or die said:

If you think any of these people, including Mandarin, are in it for the good of the club you are unbelievably naive.

But capable, professional experienced people who do a great job

Owlstalk Shop

16 hours ago, eightbelow said:

Bingo!

Retirement fund for average second tier footballers.

Guest Grandad
49 minutes ago, Stripes or die said:

The end result is the same though, we, the fans, have lost our club and football itself has been stolen by the super rich to make even more money.

Of course they are in it for the money. Its THEIR JOB

If you think we can get experienced people to work in senior positions for the good of the club it is you thats unbelievably naive.

Guest Therealrealist

I think buying a football club then admitting he knows nothing about football maybe set himself up to be goosed by parasites and leeches etc

22 hours ago, victorturner said:

Yes we nearly got sold to a dodgy taxi dealer from Azerbaijan (land of fire). didn't some dodgy court case interrupt proceedings before the fit and proper person procedure had been started?  

4 hours ago, Grandad said:

Of course they are in it for the money. Its THEIR JOB

If you think we can get experienced people to work in senior positions for the good of the club it is you thats unbelievably naive.

If you think Stripes or Money did not say, "All of these people are in it for the money or promise of money, end of", you are not naive, you cannot read and comprehend!

lol

We have experienced people in senior positions in the player recruitment department? What are they experienced in, harvest strategies, alchemy? They have an uncanny knack of being able to turn hundreds of millions of pounds into less than £20M of squad players. I wonder what magical powers they used other than smoke, mirrors and sleight of hand. There must have been a few people walking away from us with big fat back pockets.