Chansiri is a victim of circumstances....

21 minutes ago, jonnyowl said:

Never heard so much crap!

Is it any wonder that Chansiri picked a club like Wednesday to buy? 

With such blind loyalty we are perfect for someone like Chansiri. He can operate in plain sight as many of the fans simply haven't got a clue.

Indicative of that is that after all he's done that so many still can't work out what sort of person he is and what he's done. Yes, there are more people who can see him for what he is but still, the majority of people are totally myopic. 

For someone like  Chansiri, Sheffield Wednesday are the perfect club to own. 

Edited by Mrmason69
Typing error
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

The whole plan to win promotion in 2-3 years was a massive gamble due to the fact that Chansiri didn't invest enough nor draw on savvy-enough contacts to make us dead-certs for promotion in the way that Wolves did. If we came up short, which we did, we needed a sensible exit strategy. Unfortunately, our chairman seems to have forgotten this part.

Don't forget, we were starting from a position in which at least half the Championship had a huge head-start in terms of investment in their squads over the past half-decade or so. To expect us to instantly rise to the top of the pile when up against teams who had been building for several years, or those with recent Premier League experience, money and squads, was a bit unrealistic.

The investment in many a Championship club over the past prior to Chansiri's arrival decade dwarfed ours. Their infrastructures, academies, technical teams, scouting networks etc... were funded by Premier League money and parachute payments. Many may not have spent as heavily in the two seasons where Carvalhal was manager, but we were playing catch-up in a major way after the best part of two decades being left to wither on the vine.

We half-heartedly went at it, spending a lot of money but with little sign of a coherent plan beyond that first season, and landed ourselves in a huge mess. In and of itself, this didn't need to be terminal, but Chansiri's refusal to sell any of our players when their value was high, and to allow them to run down their contracts and leave for nothing, has been the final nail in the coffin of our cack-handed plan to win promotion.

I've said all along 

The spendageddon Chansiri embarked upon was half hearted to say the least.

• Like 2

FWIW I think it’s a little bit of option 1 with a little of option 2.

DC has been let down by the people he’s  surrounded himself with and there’s too many in his ear who talk a good job but don’t produce - that’s throughout the club, not just limited to Paxiao. Injuries and general poor fitness have robbed the squad of any value meaning we have expensive crocks sitting out their contracts. Managers have either been ineffective or downright damaging and have wasted what meagre resources we have. Commercially we are a disaster. DC has overseen this - signs off on everything - but is still oblivious to the decline and reasons behind it. His refusal to question his own methods and those around him have ultimately damaged this club and will continue to do so if things stay the same.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Blue and white said:

And incompetence.

Serious question, why would you buy into a business you know fuckall about and proceed to spend huge sums of money whilst not really knowing what your looking for.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that it isn't going to end well as we are finding out.

This is the most baffling thing isn't it. He puts in multi millions and leads us to the brink of the 3rd division. And yet, he only takes advice from individuals who have their own agendas. You would think he would have looked around at how successful clubs operate in this league and learned from it. But he doesn't and clearly, never will. 

• Love 2

3 minutes ago, Roscoe P. Coltrane said:

I've said all along 

The spendageddon Chansiri embarked upon was half hearted to say the least.

It was enough to put us in the bracket of playoff contenders, but not enough to expect to compete for automatic promotion against teams who'd been building, investing, selling top players and reinvesting, picking up parachute payments etc. for years while we'd flirted with League One and administration.

We did spend a lot by our own standards, but not by the standards of much of the division, many of whom had benefitted from sustained investment rather than a quick, short burst as we attempted. 

The obvious issue is that we weren't smart. Some of our biggest outlays were on players who made little to no tangible improvement to our team at the time: £14m to add Rhodes and Abdi to the squad was ridiculously wasteful and tipped us perilously close to the point of no return as far as P&S is concerned. 

Even then, there were opportunities to adopt a more sustainable model; to sell players at the peak of their value and steady the ship rather than ploughing on into the tempest...yet Chansiri chose not to.

I don't begrudge him gambling to a certain extent - it goes hand in hand with our ambition to reach the Premier League - but I do begrudge both his throwing good money after bad and his lack of anything even approaching a coherent escape plan once the gamble turned sour.

This is our club that's been toyed with and tarnished here, and ultimately one man is responsible for that. To paint him as the 'victim' is reprehensible.

• Like 4

I have no doubt football is a very difficult business to get right.  Plenty have tried and failed in football who have been hugely successful elsewhere.  There are also some very , very nasty people around the game and I have no doubt at all there is criminal and fraudulent activity in places in the game.  There will always be huge pressure to spend more by managers and fans.  

Personally I would have taken an approach to the club which is rooted in some core values that supporters , players and everyone around the club understand and buy into.  They would include - buying our goods locally in the Sheffield community as much as possible, fair pay and rights for the staff and suppliers in the supply chain (be a great employer), getting the 'Fair tax Mark' as a good taxpayer, fixing my ticket pricing to a % of average earnings in Sheffield, being a bit bolder with what our 'value statement' is to players (what else can we do apart from hard cash - can we sponsor players to do coaching badges, give better support for their families etc.), having published red lines when dealing with agents, making more of the asset we have (we are a famous old club steeped in tradition ).  I would also consult with Liverpool and Nottingham Forest, and look to hold if they are open to it each season, a Hillsborough memorial day tournament each summer between the 3 clubs with all proceeds going to families of victims and other charitable causes they wish to donate to.  

There are many things we could do at the club but to me we have to root our behaviours and decision making across the club in a stronger and clearer set of core values.   If DC had done that at the start , this would have all been very different.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

It was enough to put us in the bracket of playoff contenders, but not enough to expect to compete for automatic promotion against teams who'd been building, investing, selling top players and reinvesting, picking up parachute payments etc. for years while we'd flirted with League One and administration.

We did spend a lot by our own standards, but not by the standards of much of the division, many of whom had benefitted from sustained investment rather than a quick, short burst as we attempted. 

The obvious issue is that we weren't smart. Some of our biggest outlays were on players who made little to no tangible improvement to our team at the time: £14m to add Rhodes and Abdi to the squad was ridiculously wasteful and tipped us perilously close to the point of no return as far as P&S is concerned. 

Even then, there were opportunities to adopt a more sustainable model; to sell players at the peak of their value and steady the ship rather than ploughing on into the tempest...yet Chansiri chose not to.

I don't begrudge him gambling to a certain extent - it goes hand in hand with our ambition to reach the Premier League - but I do begrudge both his throwing good money after bad and his lack of anything even approaching a coherent escape plan once the gamble turned sour.

This is our club that's been toyed with and tarnished here, and ultimately one man is responsible for that. To paint him as the 'victim' is reprehensible.

First sentence sums it up for me 

Wolves like it or not came along and showed us how to do it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Guest Grandad

All DC had to do was use the resource he was left with by Milan

Paul Aldridge was hardly used at all in the year he stayed on (which was part of the deal) and he was constantly frustrated by that.

DC could have done a lot worse than let him run things for him

7 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

I have no doubt football is a very difficult business to get right.  Plenty have tried and failed in football who have been hugely successful elsewhere.  There are also some very , very nasty people around the game and I have no doubt at all there is criminal and fraudulent activity in places in the game.  There will always be huge pressure to spend more by managers and fans.  

Personally I would have taken an approach to the club which is rooted in some core values that supporters , players and everyone around the club understand and buy into.  They would include - buying our goods locally in the Sheffield community as much as possible, fair pay and rights for the staff and suppliers in the supply chain (be a great employer), getting the 'Fair tax Mark' as a good taxpayer, fixing my ticket pricing to a % of average earnings in Sheffield, being a bit bolder with what our 'value statement' is to players (what else can we do apart from hard cash - can we sponsor players to do coaching badges, give better support for their families etc.), having published red lines when dealing with agents, making more of the asset we have (we are a famous old club steeped in tradition ).  I would also consult with Liverpool and Nottingham Forest, and look to hold if they are open to it each season, a Hillsborough memorial day tournament each summer between the 3 clubs with all proceeds going to families of victims and other charitable causes they wish to donate to.  

There are many things we could do at the club but to me we have to root our behaviours and decision making across the club in a stronger and clearer set of core values.   If DC had done that at the start , this would have all been very different.

Those are all good ideas.

But Channers was only interested in making a quick buck.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

Those are all good ideas.

But Channers was only interested in making a quick buck.

I don't think he was interested in making a quick although he probably wouldn't have said no.

I think his main motivation for taking over Wednesday was an ego trip. 

Throw money at it, get promoted and have his photo took with the great and the good in the boardrooms of all the glamorous clubs to impress his friends.

Also have his name plastered everywhere to show people what a success he was.

No, can't make excuse for years of incompetence. The fundamentals of running any football club or business are wrong. 

Closing off revenue streams, bizarre recruitment, poor quality product and overcharging customers all results in the mess were in. 

• Like 1