Chansiri is a victim of circumstances....

I'd also like to ask the op in his defense of Chasiri, why has he made mistake after mistakes after mistake and not learnt his lesson, he continues to learch from one disaster to another.

We are now a joke of a club, our reputation is in tatters after his amateurish attempted ground sale, we are being propped up by companies that don't even exist, sadly we are a grubby tin pot club and that lays squarely with Dejphon Chansiri.

Edited by Blue and white
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

Lets  look at the OP another way.

In my 'real' life I run a business with turnover which is over double that of SWFC.  If I:

1.  Were one of the worst performing of the 24 businesses in my sector

2.  Were unable to make staff payroll on multiple occassions

3.  Were in constant trouble with the regulator who banned me from hiring anyone else for periods, and gave me fines.

4.  My customers were paying the highest prices in the sector but hated my product.

5.  Had to rely on creative accounting to disguise the massive losses I was making

6. Kept hiring bad CEOs , including sacking the last one after 6 weeks

7.  Decided to make my staff wear shirts and ties with my name all over it, changed the company logo and also stuck my name in massive letters on the front of the office building, despite the company not being named after me and it being 150 years old.

etc etc

Would my staff or customers say I was just unlucky?

Summed it up perfectly.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Blue and white said:

And incompetence.

Serious question, why would you buy into a business you know fuckall about and proceed to spend huge sums of money whilst not really knowing what your looking for.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that it isn't going to end well as we are finding out.

It's less incompetence than arrogance IMO. But one inevitably follows the other.

• Love 2

4 hours ago, Tollertonowl said:

When Chansiri came to SWFC he clearly stated that he knew very little about English football, but would employ advisors (to help him) and was willing to invest in our club to ensure promotion upto the premier league. He kept to his word immediately investing funds into the stadium along with a new manager (arguably a bit premature) and a number of high value players (at least to SWFC) for key areas. Then the new manager said that he'd let the team pick itself for the first year and sit back to analyse the team performances/players during this time. The results of this approach was an SWFC team that played fast attacking football and scored goals e.g. we beat Arsenal (full team) in the cup, but also played them off the park in terms of football. Then after Christmas we were looking like contenders for (possibly automatic) promotion (at least the playoffs), which is when Carlos stopped watching the team and took charge along with imposing negative tactics, which I believe resulted in a the play-off place  (for 2yrs running) and also losing out to Hull/Huddersfield (who were both promoted). The latter game (after a full season of enduring CC's defensive football (for the greater good - grind it out - pass back - pass side ways) whilst knowing what we could actually do as an unleashed attacking side) so Huddersfield was just unforgivable, as I've a few mates that support them so aside from the usual banter/ turning the knife/ torturing me on the final result etc.... They actually took pity on me and gave their honest analysis of the game, which was WTF was your manager doing with the negative tactics given the circumstances - does he understand the rules... They reckoned (as did I) that if we'd have gone all out attack that they would have been unable to hang on.... They also ask me if CC actually new what the rules were for the play-offs given his tactics.

Anyway after losing out in the playoffs for the 2nd time we had (with Chansiri's Money) taken a big chance on the push and spent too much on players/ high wages/ old players (injury Prone) with long contracts to get us over the promotion line, which if we'd gone up made sense, as we'd just release them...

The team we had should've gained promotion in the first year and then most definitely gained promotion in the 2nd year, CC messed up with tactics and should've been sacked immediately after the Huddersfield game... By this point we also really needed to start changing the team, as most players had been at SWFC for over 3yrs and some players had asked to leave for premier league clubs (FF/AR).... An example is FF who spat his dummy out when refused a transfer which (for me) we handled badly as we should've just agreed with him to stay until the closed season and then if promoted he could then leave, which is what Alex Ferguson did with Ronaldo.. He also says that a team is only good for 2-3 yrs before you start to break it up and start again... 

However we kept CC, the same team that had failed twice and then endured his (CC's) negative tactics for a few more months, which based on the results by then (and until his departure) was clear the players (along with supporters) held him accountable for failure..

Since then we've become increasingly screwed by the Financial Fair Play Rules, which means that although we've got a Millionaire/ Billionaire owner who has/is willing to invest heavily in the club for promotion. We now seem in a worse position than when we were on the brink of survival and unable to sign players. 

So I don't blame Chansiri for the current situation, as he's backed us to the hilt and took a calculated risk, which should've paid off... Unfortunately CC let him down/ us down and the team down with his poor negative tactics...

So now the Financial Fair Play/ Bosman Rules have kicked in they are literally destroying our chances for promotion along with a number of other teams that also have wealthy owners/ investors such as Derby, Middlesbrough etc. who are willing to invest their own/ partners/ consortiums money regardless of turnover/ initial yearly accounting losses for promotion. However they cant do this due to FFP rules, which (for example) is why Gibson at Middlesbrough was kicking off about SWFC/ Derby to highlight his own frustrations, as he wants to spend big for promotion, but can't... So the result was they were lucky to avoid the drop last year, we will be this year and Derby next year...

To add injury to insult (of the FFP rules) then we've also got the Bosman rulings, which means a player can leave a club free of charge after their contracts expires... So we've got (I believe) Westwood, Bannan and Reach (now playing well) who will most likely leave by the end of this season KW/BB (last pay day for them) and AR to the premiership most likely, which I believe would suit him better football wise. We also can't sell these players now, as we wouldn't get market value with their contracts due to end shortly and we also need these players to stay up this season, as we can't spend. However if we weren't tied on transfers previously due to the FFP rules then these players would've most likely left the club already for a fee to move elsewhere. Unfortunately they are now unlikely to agree an extensions to their contracts (unless for silly wages/ long length/ unbalancing the club) especially when a large signing on fee elsewhere is looming, high wages/ long contract (no initial fee), then we have the SWFC bad Karma/ wages issue and other clubs are already interested in signing them...

So for me its CC messing up with promotion and then the resulting rules of Financial Fair Play causing the issues we have currently... Its not Chansiri who invested like he said he would in the club and since the FFP kicked in has had his hands tied... He's also done all he can to get around the rules by buying the ground for stupid money and luckily reducing the points deduction (by 6 so far) due to the EFL error on their accounting advice mistake on the ground... 

I think that NT will keep us up and then hopefully we won't be tied by FFP rules in the closed season, which is when we should get a proven manager and spend big like Wolves did and go for it (rules don't count if promoted) or we will be stuck in the championship for years to come...

If the neg button was still in use your reputation would be like the clubs, in absolute tatters.

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, Bing Cosby said:

It's less incompetence than arrogance IMO. But one inevitably follows the other.

Where do you start, fwiw I honestly don't believe he is a businessman, there is nothing to back that up at all.

I firmly believe he is the spoilt brat of a billionaire and this is his vanity project, unlike his brother he doesn't even have a role in the family business.

He is arrogant and pushes good, knowledgeable people away from the club.

Numerous reports have surfaced that he is very difficult to work with and no manager worth their salt will come here.

He is to pig headed to admit he is wrong and has brought our club to the brink of financial ruin through incompetence.

I could go on and on but I'll leave it there.

• Like 7
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

When Chansiri came to SWFC he clearly stated that he knew very little about English football, but would employ advisors (to help him) and was willing to invest in our club to ensure promotion upto the premier league. He kept to his word immediately investing funds into the stadium along with a new manager (arguably a bit premature) and a number of high value players (at least to SWFC) for key areas. Then the new manager said that he'd let the team pick itself for the first year and sit back to analyse the team performances/players during this time. The results of this approach was an SWFC team that played fast attacking football and scored goals e.g. we beat Arsenal (full team) in the cup, but also played them off the park in terms of football. Then after Christmas we were looking like contenders for (possibly automatic) promotion (at least the playoffs), which is when Carlos stopped watching the team and took charge along with imposing negative tactics, which I believe resulted in a the play-off place  (for 2yrs running) and also losing out to Hull/Huddersfield (who were both promoted). The latter game (after a full season of enduring CC's defensive football (for the greater good - grind it out - pass back - pass side ways) whilst knowing what we could actually do as an unleashed attacking side) so Huddersfield was just unforgivable, as I've a few mates that support them so aside from the usual banter/ turning the knife/ torturing me on the final result etc.... They actually took pity on me and gave their honest analysis of the game, which was WTF was your manager doing with the negative tactics given the circumstances - does he understand the rules... They reckoned (as did I) that if we'd have gone all out attack that they would have been unable to hang on.... They also ask me if CC actually new what the rules were for the play-offs given his tactics.

Anyway after losing out in the playoffs for the 2nd time we had (with Chansiri's Money) taken a big chance on the push and spent too much on players/ high wages/ old players (injury Prone) with long contracts to get us over the promotion line, which if we'd gone up made sense, as we'd just release them...

The team we had should've gained promotion in the first year and then most definitely gained promotion in the 2nd year, CC messed up with tactics and should've been sacked immediately after the Huddersfield game... By this point we also really needed to start changing the team, as most players had been at SWFC for over 3yrs and some players had asked to leave for premier league clubs (FF/AR).... An example is FF who spat his dummy out when refused a transfer which (for me) we handled badly as we should've just agreed with him to stay until the closed season and then if promoted he could then leave, which is what Alex Ferguson did with Ronaldo.. He also says that a team is only good for 2-3 yrs before you start to break it up and start again... 

However we kept CC, the same team that had failed twice and then endured his (CC's) negative tactics for a few more months, which based on the results by then (and until his departure) was clear the players (along with supporters) held him accountable for failure..

Since then we've become increasingly screwed by the Financial Fair Play Rules, which means that although we've got a Millionaire/ Billionaire owner who has/is willing to invest heavily in the club for promotion. We now seem in a worse position than when we were on the brink of survival and unable to sign players. 

So I don't blame Chansiri for the current situation, as he's backed us to the hilt and took a calculated risk, which should've paid off... Unfortunately CC let him down/ us down and the team down with his poor negative tactics...

So now the Financial Fair Play/ Bosman Rules have kicked in they are literally destroying our chances for promotion along with a number of other teams that also have wealthy owners/ investors such as Derby, Middlesbrough etc. who are willing to invest their own/ partners/ consortiums money regardless of turnover/ initial yearly accounting losses for promotion. However they cant do this due to FFP rules, which (for example) is why Gibson at Middlesbrough was kicking off about SWFC/ Derby to highlight his own frustrations, as he wants to spend big for promotion, but can't... So the result was they were lucky to avoid the drop last year, we will be this year and Derby next year...

To add injury to insult (of the FFP rules) then we've also got the Bosman rulings, which means a player can leave a club free of charge after their contracts expires... So we've got (I believe) Westwood, Bannan and Reach (now playing well) who will most likely leave by the end of this season KW/BB (last pay day for them) and AR to the premiership most likely, which I believe would suit him better football wise. We also can't sell these players now, as we wouldn't get market value with their contracts due to end shortly and we also need these players to stay up this season, as we can't spend. However if we weren't tied on transfers previously due to the FFP rules then these players would've most likely left the club already for a fee to move elsewhere. Unfortunately they are now unlikely to agree an extensions to their contracts (unless for silly wages/ long length/ unbalancing the club) especially when a large signing on fee elsewhere is looming, high wages/ long contract (no initial fee), then we have the SWFC bad Karma/ wages issue and other clubs are already interested in signing them...

So for me its CC messing up with promotion and then the resulting rules of Financial Fair Play causing the issues we have currently... Its not Chansiri who invested like he said he would in the club and since the FFP kicked in has had his hands tied... He's also done all he can to get around the rules by buying the ground for stupid money and luckily reducing the points deduction (by 6 so far) due to the EFL error on their accounting advice mistake on the ground... 

I think that NT will keep us up and then hopefully we won't be tied by FFP rules in the closed season, which is when we should get a proven manager and spend big like Wolves did and go for it (rules don't count if promoted) or we will be stuck in the championship for years to come...

I've broadly supported Chansiri, but it's in the hiring and firing of managers where he's messed things up most IMO.

If a manager loses two play-offs, then he's done.

The players lose confidence in him, you can't sack the squad, so he has to go.

If Chansiri had sacked Carlos after the play-off semi then we could have had a third shot at promotion under someone else, as we were still a strong team.

That season was wasted, and the chance was gone.

We only had 2-3 seasons to try to gain promotion and couldn't legally sustain that type of expenditure indefinitely, so the subsequent departure of quality players was inevitable.

Those who equate Carlos with relative success forget that he had access to much better players than we now have, and a squad of 34 players.

No manager in our history has ever had the finance to work with that Coco had.

• Like 1

I've read it

Was an interesting read

But it's simply not accurate.

It's like a fairytale version although I do understand that some of our fans really do believe it's the EFL not allowing Chansiri to spend his millions and the parachute payments that are at fault. I understand some of our fans still actually really do believe that.

But the worst part of all of the original post at the top of the thread? Well Imagine writing that the bosman ruling is at fault for us repeatedly losing players

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Owlstalk Shop

46 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

Lets  look at the OP another way.

In my 'real' life I run a business with turnover which is over double that of SWFC.  If I:

1.  Were one of the worst performing of the 24 businesses in my sector

2.  Were unable to make staff payroll on multiple occassions

3.  Were in constant trouble with the regulator who banned me from hiring anyone else for periods, and gave me fines.

4.  My customers were paying the highest prices in the sector but hated my product.

5.  Had to rely on creative accounting to disguise the massive losses I was making

6. Kept hiring bad CEOs , including sacking the last one after 6 weeks

7.  Decided to make my staff wear shirts and ties with my name all over it, changed the company logo and also stuck my name in massive letters on the front of the office building, despite the company not being named after me and it being 150 years old.

etc etc

Would my staff or customers say I was just unlucky?

8. And blamed my customers' complaints for putting off potential investors.

• Like 2

Guest Grandad
2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I've read it

Was an interesting read

It's like a fairytale version although I do understand that some of our fans really do believe it's the EFL not allowing Chansiri to spend his millions and the parachute payments that are at fault. I understand some of our fans still actually really do believe that.

But the worst part of all of the original post at the top of the thread? Well Imagine writing that the bosman ruling is at fault for us repeatedly losing players

To be fair the Bosman ruling doesnt apply to Brentford 

It’s just down to luck when you get a new owner, ratification by the FA doesn’t include psycho analysis unfortunately so we are where we are .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

I've broadly supported Chansiri, but it's in the hiring and firing of managers where he's messed things up most IMO.

If a manager loses two play-offs, then he's done.

The players lose confidence in him, you can't sack the squad, so he has to go.

If Chansiri had sacked Carlos after the play-off semi then we could have had a third shot at promotion under someone else, as we were still a strong team.

That season was wasted, and the chance was gone.

We only had 2-3 seasons to try to gain promotion and couldn't legally sustain that type of expenditure indefinitely, so the subsequent departure of quality players was inevitable.

Those who equate Carlos with relative success forget that he had access to much better players than we now have, and a squad of 34 players.

No manager in our history has ever had the finance to work with that Coco had.

The whole plan to win promotion in 2-3 years was a massive gamble due to the fact that Chansiri didn't invest enough nor draw on savvy-enough contacts to make us dead-certs for promotion in the way that Wolves did. If we came up short, which we did, we needed a sensible exit strategy. Unfortunately, our chairman seems to have forgotten this part.

Don't forget, we were starting from a position in which at least half the Championship had a huge head-start in terms of investment in their squads over the past half-decade or so. To expect us to instantly rise to the top of the pile when up against teams who had been building for several years, or those with recent Premier League experience, money and squads, was a bit unrealistic.

The investment in many a Championship club over the past prior to Chansiri's arrival decade dwarfed ours. Their infrastructures, academies, technical teams, scouting networks etc... were funded by Premier League money and parachute payments. Many may not have spent as heavily in the two seasons where Carvalhal was manager, but we were playing catch-up in a major way after the best part of two decades being left to wither on the vine.

We half-heartedly went at it, spending a lot of money but with little sign of a coherent plan beyond that first season, and landed ourselves in a huge mess. In and of itself, this didn't need to be terminal, but Chansiri's refusal to sell any of our players when their value was high, and to allow them to run down their contracts and leave for nothing, has been the final nail in the coffin of our cack-handed plan to win promotion.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

The whole plan to win promotion in 2-3 years was a massive gamble due to the fact that Chansiri didn't invest enough nor draw on savvy-enough contacts to make us dead-certs for promotion in the way that Wolves did. If we came up short, which we did, we needed a sensible exit strategy. Unfortunately, our chairman seems to have forgotten this part.

Don't forget, we were starting from a position in which at least half the Championship had a huge head-start in terms of investment in their squads over the past half-decade or so. To expect us to instantly rise to the top of the pile when up against teams who had been building for several years, or those with recent Premier League experience, money and squads, was a bit unrealistic.

The investment in many a Championship club over the past prior to Chansiri's arrival decade dwarfed ours. Their infrastructures, academies, technical teams, scouting networks etc... were funded by Premier League money and parachute payments. Many may not have spent as heavily in the two seasons where Carvalhal was manager, but we were playing catch-up in a major way after the best part of two decades being left to wither on the vine.

We half-heartedly went at it, spending a lot of money but with little sign of a coherent plan beyond that first season, and landed ourselves in a huge mess. In and of itself, this didn't need to be terminal, but Chansiri's refusal to sell any of our players when their value was high, and to allow them to run down their contracts and leave for nothing, has been the final nail in the coffin of our cack-handed plan to win promotion.

Spot on.

• Thanks 1

Guest Grandad

Stuart Grey and Mandaric had built very firm foundations in our 3 years in the Championship - indeed the side that took us to Wembley was heavily based on that.

What Chansiris millions did was allowed us to add the real quality and attacking flair we needed to turn us from a solid mid-table Championship team into contenders for the play-offs.

In that first summer - the real impact players we brought in were Forestieri, Bannan, Wallace, Joao and Matias. 

So yes - Carlos did get a fair bit of money invested. 

The real money was thrown at the team in the 2nd summer. And very little since that season.

In that time we have gone backwards, finishing further and further down the league and playing worse and worse football.

Is that really the fault of Carlos?

Chansiri is very rich and powerful. He hasn't achieved everything by being stupid. 

He's a very clever man. He's manipulative, power crazed, controlling and the master of misdirection. All the required traits to be a rich businessman. 

He knows exactly what he's doing at the club. His departure will have been planned before he arrived as these sort of ruthless people always have their get out of jail card ready to play when required. 

Only yesterday, was on about wanting Wednesday to play with two strikers and be more attacking. 

On the face of it that's great. But then you look behind that and you find the clubs only striker on a blacklist. You find other attacking players on a blacklist. 

So he wants an attacking team that scores plenty of goals 

What does he do? He blacklists our only striker. 

I'm sure that he's got his reasons for having blacklists. He's had them for over 4 years. He's continually signed players that never played. He's done it this season with at least 2 players. 

I've been pointing out this insanity for over 4 years now. More and more people are starting to see Chansiri for what he is and the walls are slowly by inexorably closing in on him as he starts to unwind. 

People like Chansiri who operate on the fringes of legality can't afford to be overly visible. 

Whatever his endgame is, I'm certain that it's got nothing to do with the best interests of the club and everything to do with Chansiris own particular needs. Such needs have no place in football. 

Unfortunately, money is God now and that's why he's got away with so much and ruining so many careers. 

He's out own version of Vincent Tan. And we do seem to do a lot of business with Mr Tan at Cardiff . Don't we? 

Tan and Chansiri. Two sides of the same coin. Ouch. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Guest Mcguigan
1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

I've read it

Was an interesting read

Loads of inaccuracies and more a broad brush attempt to cover up DC’s running of the club.

Anyone who thinks a removal of FFP will benefit us or that’s it’s currently, or has in the past, been a restriction on us, needs to think again.

Without it the percentage of clubs automatically promoted back would surely increase. No trimming of squads, no fire sale of top earners just mega rich owners with £70-80m of PP to boot, keeping together PL squads for another shot at auto promotion.

Then factor in the half a dozen or so current Championship clubs and a couple of Lg1, with wealth that dwarfs DC’s. We’d be outbid by bloody Barnsley if the FFP gloves were off.

Finally factor in who’s actually holding the purse strings and who’s advising who we invest in player wise.

Far from FFP being a hindrance on us, it’s probably saved us from going severely bust.

1 minute ago, Mrmason69 said:

Chansiri is very rich and powerful. He hasn't achieved everything by being stupid. 

He's a very clever man. He's manipulative, power crazed, controlling and the master of misdirection. All the required traits to be a rich businessman. 

He knows exactly what he's doing at the club. His departure will have been planned before he arrived as these sort of ruthless people always have their get out of jail card ready to play when required. 

Only yesterday, was on about wanting Wednesday to play with two strikers and be more attacking. 

On the face of it that's great. But then you look behind that and you find the clubs only striker on a blacklist. You find other attacking players on a blacklist. 

So he wants an attacking team that scores plenty of goals 

What does he do? He blacklists our only striker. 

I'm sure that he's got his reasons for having blacklists. He's had them for over 4 years. He's continually signed players that never played. He's done it this season with at least 2 players. 

I've been pointing out this insanity for over 4 years now. More and more people are starting to see Chansiri for what he is and the walls are slowly by inexorably closing in on him as he starts to unwind. 

People like Chansiri who operate on the fringes of legality can't afford to be overly visible. 

Whatever his endgame is, I'm certain that it's got nothing to do with the best interests of the club and everything to do with Chansiris own particular needs. Such needs have no place in football. 

Unfortunately, money is God now and that's why he's got away with so much and ruining so many careers. 

He's out own version of Vincent Tan. And we do seem to do a lot of business with Mr Tan at Cardiff . Don't we? 

Tan and Chansiri. Two sides of the same coin. Ouch. 

Your first sentence should read “Chansirs family is very rich and powerful”

im beginning to think Chansiri hadn’t got a pot to pïss in. 

• Like 1