Wednesday players you forgot played for us thread

6 hours ago, Dooogs said:

"Shot In The Arse

And You're To Blame

You Give Scouse A Bad Name"

(air guitar)

I had genuinely forgotten about this bloke and Paul Heffernan was another, but I remember pretty much all the rest apart from the odd one, yet I can remember all the players from way back, I suppose becasue back then we had a 14 to 16 man squad and rarely deviated from the starting 11 plus one sub! 

12 hours ago, Dooogs said:

"Shot In The Arse

And You're To Blame

You Give Scouse A Bad Name"

(air guitar)

I seem to remember this one from a game I went to (tune of Que, sera, sera)

Steve Gerrard, Gerrard,

That baby’s not even yours,

It’s Jon Otsemobor’s,

Steve Gerrard, Gerrard.

Edited by punkskaphil
  • Haha 1

On 26/12/2020 at 11:13, alanharper said:

Since then, it's not been that great on Boxing Day tbh. Throwing away leads to lose games in injury time at Walsall and Stoke come to mind in recent years, but some that stand out for me are:

4-1 win at Goodison 1994 or 95, Guy Whittingham scoring twice on his debut

1-0 at Everton again 1991, Hirst with the winner. Also one of my favourite chants started that day, but for obvious reasons can't be resurrected, from "Do you wanna be in my gang". Cooooooome on come on, come on come on, come on come on come on, WEDNESDAY.

2-2 v Newcastle mid 80s, they had Mirandinha up front, the first time I saw a Brazilian play. He wasn't actually all that good and was a flop but I think he still scored that day. 

Bolton away a few years ago. We were playing really badly, saw the line-up in the pub before the game with Showumni starting and were tempted to come straight home and miss the game but we somehow won 1-0 with a goal from the man himself.

1-0 win at Newcastle with a rare goal from Loovens. 

Man Utd 1992, 3-0 up and cruising until Cantona decided to start playing and Brian McClair bagged his customary brace against us and we drew 3-3. 

On 19/01/2021 at 17:25, SallyCinnamon said:

Richard Evans.

Welsh wing wizard signed from Birmingham. Made just the 10 appearances for Wednesday. And scored in the 7-2 massacre against Burnley in 2003. He then fell down the leagues and according to Wikipedia was last seen playing for Chippenham Town.

1AA84417-A8AB-41BF-9249-E0495DDBE9C7.jpeg

If I remember he got a serious injury.  Cruciate or something and was out for a good year. Think that was the last we really saw of him. 

On 26/12/2020 at 11:13, alanharper said:

Since then, it's not been that great on Boxing Day tbh. Throwing away leads to lose games in injury time at Walsall and Stoke come to mind in recent years, but some that stand out for me are:

4-1 win at Goodison 1994 or 95, Guy Whittingham scoring twice on his debut

1-0 at Everton again 1991, Hirst with the winner. Also one of my favourite chants started that day, but for obvious reasons can't be resurrected, from "Do you wanna be in my gang". Cooooooome on come on, come on come on, come on come on come on, WEDNESDAY.

2-2 v Newcastle mid 80s, they had Mirandinha up front, the first time I saw a Brazilian play. He wasn't actually all that good and was a flop but I think he still scored that day. 

Bolton away a few years ago. We were playing really badly, saw the line-up in the pub before the game with Showumni starting and were tempted to come straight home and miss the game but we somehow won 1-0 with a goal from the man himself.

1-0 win at Newcastle with a rare goal from Loovens. 

Man Utd 1992, 3-0 up and cruising until Cantona decided to start playing and Brian McClair bagged his customary brace against us and we drew 3-3. 

On 19/01/2021 at 17:25, SallyCinnamon said:

Richard Evans.

Welsh wing wizard signed from Birmingham. Made just the 10 appearances for Wednesday. And scored in the 7-2 massacre against Burnley in 2003. He then fell down the leagues and according to Wikipedia was last seen playing for Chippenham Town.

1AA84417-A8AB-41BF-9249-E0495DDBE9C7.jpeg

If I remember he got a serious injury.  Cruciate or something and was out for a good year. Think that was the last we really saw of him. 

Just summoned one from the depths of my mind: Patrick Collins. Had one great season during the legendry 2004/05 Cardiff Play off final promotion year, looked promising with bags of potential but never kicked on and found his feet in the Championship. Ended up having to retire at 23 with 'chronic calf cramps'. 

• Like 1

On 19/01/2021 at 18:32, Pablo Bonvin said:

David Graham. 

Seem to recall him getting sacked, or at the very least reyt told off when he was with us?

Think he wasn't allowed on the pre season tour to USA during the Sturrock era, had a criminal conviction or something that prevented him from travelling.

He was team mates with one of my best friends when he was playing semi pro at Sheffield FC. My pal said he was a decent player but an absolute p!$$head. He was also team mates with Paul Smith, if you remember him? Think Turner signed him from Hartlepool along with Graeme Lee

Edited by Johnny Concrete

2 hours ago, Johnny Concrete said:

Think he wasn't allowed on the pre season tour to USA during the Sturrock era, had a criminal conviction or something that prevented him from travelling.

He was team mates with one of my best friends when he was playing semi pro at Sheffield FC. My pal said he was a decent player but an absolute p!$$head. He was also team mates with Paul Smith, if you remember him? Think Turner signed him from Hartlepool along with Graeme Lee

Graham was awful, looked more like a brickie than a footballer. Smith was supposed to be a bit of a wing wizard but we never saw any evidence of it.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Paolo Coopio said:

We had a habit of breaking wingers around then (before we signed Brunt and McGovern) - we knackered Evans, Matt Hamshaw (who'd been with us since he was a youth player,  admittedly) and Paul Smith in quick succession...

13 hours ago, lambownumber5 said:

Just summoned one from the depths of my mind: Patrick Collins. Had one great season during the legendry 2004/05 Cardiff Play off final promotion year, looked promising with bags of potential but never kicked on and found his feet in the Championship. Ended up having to retire at 23 with 'chronic calf cramps'. 

Agree - Paddy Collins looked great in that promotion year.  Would have been a nice addition to all the youngsters (Spurr, Beevers, etc) coming through...

• Like 2