Burnley v Sheffield Wednesday FA Cup Quarter Final 1983

22 minutes ago, ttimeowls said:

Picture from the you tube action showing Wednesday fans to the left and Burnley to the right packed out 

177CBDCD-BB41-40DF-8AC8-47AC9CFBBD9B.jpeg

All that stand used to be officially be the Burnley home end. Very similar to the Kippax at City. The club and police decided to split it as there were many battles on there at one time with away clubs trying to take it. It was a great stand for creating an atmosphere with the low roof.

I was there that day. I was on the Burnley end. I was only a young lad and saw loads of bother. I remember the Wednesday fans being led to the away end across the pitch and wishing I was with them. Still a load left on their end though and we grouped together on the left hand side of the goal. 

initially like Rourke's Drift as they kept coming but soon quietened down. 

Reply was ace. Fair play to Burnley as they packed the Lepps out. 

1 hour ago, Pulsar said:

For the semi at Highbury?

Well i was on the North Bank with the Wednesday and Brighton had the smaller clock end.

I forget which side stand we had?

No mate I meant Burnley

Was in the seats opposite their end with the main lot of Wednesday to our left.  Went with my Dad in the car and stopped for a couple of pints somewhere outside Burnley.  Pub was packed with Wednesday, including loads we knew.  A lot of them ended up on the Burnley end and then, subsequently, on the pitch.  After the match when we headed back to the car, the police tried to make us walk in the opposite direction to where we'd parked which was behind the Burnley end.  My Dad wasn't having any of it so we ducked through the cordon and walked against a tide of Burnley fans with our Wednesday flat caps on.  I took mine off but he made me put it back on, he was a lot handier and braver than me.  We then got separated by a barrier and I got a couple slaps from a few of them, luckily some older Burnley fans stepped in and stopped it before I got a real kicking.  I took my hat off again and caught up with him snarling his way through the crowd.  He made me put my hat on again.  Great memory now but at the time I don't mind admitting that I was pooing my pants (not literally, I might add).

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Pulsar said:

For the semi at Highbury?

Well i was on the North Bank with the Wednesday and Brighton had the smaller clock end.

I forget which side stand we had?

Wednesday had the stand to the right ( if stood on the North bank) I think it was the West stand. I was on the North bank that day I think it held 20,000 back then and it was rammed.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, M Royds said:

I was there that day. I was on the Burnley end. I was only a young lad and saw loads of bother. I remember the Wednesday fans being led to the away end across the pitch and wishing I was with them. Still a load left on their end though and we grouped together on the left hand side of the goal. 

initially like Rourke's Drift as they kept coming but soon quietened down. 

Reply was ace. Fair play to Burnley as they packed the Lepps out. 

I’m sure Wednesday fans had some of the Lep for the replay.

28 minutes ago, sexpistol said:

I’m sure Wednesday fans had some of the Lep for the replay.

Maybe? I thought it was for Burnley fans only. 

2 hours ago, EBRAwe'rebarmy said:

Was in the seats opposite their end with the main lot of Wednesday to our left.  Went with my Dad in the car and stopped for a couple of pints somewhere outside Burnley.  Pub was packed with Wednesday, including loads we knew.  A lot of them ended up on the Burnley end and then, subsequently, on the pitch.  After the match when we headed back to the car, the police tried to make us walk in the opposite direction to where we'd parked which was behind the Burnley end.  My Dad wasn't having any of it so we ducked through the cordon and walked against a tide of Burnley fans with our Wednesday flat caps on.  I took mine off but he made me put it back on, he was a lot handier and braver than me.  We then got separated by a barrier and I got a couple slaps from a few of them, luckily some older Burnley fans stepped in and stopped it before I got a real kicking.  I took my hat off again and caught up with him snarling his way through the crowd.  He made me put my hat on again.  Great memory now but at the time I don't mind admitting that I was pooing my pants (not literally, I might add).

Your dad made you do that?

• Like 2

Was at both Burnley games 

The replay is my second favourite night match after the Brighton SF.

Without check a BIG attendence back then might have been ,30,000 so to get 41,000 was astonishing.

7 hours ago, marconi said:

Went to the replay, you just knew the attendance was going to be massive by the queues outside the Kop with minutes to go to the kick off. 

I was in the north for the replay sat next to an older guy and when Gary Shelton scored he waited for me to sit down after the goal and said to me " that's my son"

How proud must he have been to see his lad score in that atmosphere.

• Like 4
12 hours ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

Turf Moor is a tidy football ground ...

Apart from the old Bob Lord Stand which is shallow by comparison it's about the same as ours & Goodison ...

They fill it regularly pre lockdown

To say it's a shìt hole is a cheap childish comment ....

to be fair, I love Turf Moor, proper old ground, went a few seasons ago and they had a big old valve television perched on top of the pie stall showing the football results. classic!, but what I would ad is the area around the ground is a poo hole, and every time I have been you end up getting mither off the locals.Years ago I spent six months working in Blackburn and not taking into account the intense football rivalry . they consider Burnley to be a deprived area

16 hours ago, Grandad said:

George ****ing Tyson as referee.

Almost as bad as George Courtney

Well we didn’t have to wait long as Courtney refereed the semi final. No wonder we lost!

• Haha 1

I was at the replay that wonderful night when we destroyed Burnley. 

We were on the Kop and I've never seen the Kop so overcrowded. It was dangerously overcrowded as the police had allocated the other end for Burnley fans.

The official attendance was 42000 but I'd put the actual attendance much higher than that. There were significantly more people on the Kop that night than there were for the boxing day match with Sheffield United. 

We played incredibly well that night. TC and Big Andy up front were magnificent. 

Unforgettable stuff. Sadly, the severely overcrowded Kop is also unforgettable.

• Like 1

I was there but remember little about it , 4 of us in my dads car.

We stopped in the Todmorden area for a drink on the way , and then in a pub near the ground , it was on a hill overlooking the stadium and it remains to this day one of the filthiest most ramshackle pubs i have ever been in , even by 70,s / 80,s standards.

Can recall Bannister scoring but not much else , think Brian Laws and future Everton / England player Trevor Steven were in the Burnley line up that day ?

Memories of replay are a bit clearer , classic night !!!..............And yes , to back up what has already been said , the Kop was badly overcrowded for this match , picked this of all games to take my then girlfriend to her first match and we got stuck in the most horrendous crush in the bottom corner getting out at the end.

I was at both games and they were great.

The game at Burnley was tough but Sgt Wilko really fired up the team for the replay.

What a difference  having a high quality Manager makes.

1 minute ago, Owls Loyal said:

I was at both games and they were great.

The game at Burnley was tough but Sgt Wilko really fired up the team for the replay.

What a difference  having a high quality Manager makes.

It was Jack Charlton... 

• Haha 3
15 hours ago, Watto said:

No mate I meant Burnley

Well there were Wednesday fans on all four sides of Turf Moor that day but the OP's photo is the view looking out from the side most of the Wednesday fans were on. We were further to the right with the Burnley fans to the left (next to their Kop end)

If you have been to Burnley in the last 20 years+ we were to the left of where you'd sit these days.

• Like 1