Burnley v Sheffield Wednesday FA Cup Quarter Final 1983

20 hours ago, TheSlicer said:

image.png.5578be7985f2c2e5b7c037d5219f8a5e.png

Burnley V Sheffield Wednesday FA cup quarter final 1983.  

Picture is of Wednesday fans that had ended up on the home end. Was anyone there? And what are your memories. Be interested to hear. 

photo is courtesy of “Lost Football Grounds and Terraces of the United Kingdom” Facebook page. If anyone is interested. 

hope this thread is allowed. 

I was on that side terrace, with half a dozen mates, we split up into two's and kept schtum, got some funny looks, couple of other Wednesdayites just in front of us ended up brawling, but to be fair they gave as good as they got until the plod hauled them out

different times

• Like 1
1 hour ago, FreshOwl said:

There ground looks just the same now. What a shithole. All that Prem money and they can’t upgrade from that! 

Their ground is 50% different now to '83.

the big side terrace where the Wednesday hordes (and Burnley fans) were stood is a totally different stand now housing seats and boxes.

Their old Kop to the left of the pic has also been replaced with a similar seat and box stand.

Both sides drastically cutting their capacity down. 

I think the stand opposite, visible in the pic  and the stand to the right (where away fans are now housed) are pretty much the same. 

• Like 2

Turf Moor is a tidy football ground ...

Apart from the old Bob Lord Stand which is shallow by comparison it's about the same as ours & Goodison ...

They fill it regularly pre lockdown

To say it's a shìt hole is a cheap childish comment ....

Edited by OWLERTON GHOST
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, wakefieldowl said:

I was there too. On the away end and it was ridiculously full. Proper crushed.

There were loads of wednesday ites on that open end. Police moved about 1000 owls on to where we were and i remember thinking how the hell will they get another 1000 in here. 

Unbelievable disregard for safety in those days. The atmosphere was brilliant tho. I think they got a penalty in tge first minute which bolder saved.

The 5 nil replay was one of the geatest ive witnessed. Ive never seen the goals as i dont think cameras were there which is bizarre considering it was quarter final.

Grsat days indeed

The semi was one of the best yet also saddest days of watching wednesday too

I believe the goals were shown on Calendar or Look North.

19 minutes ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

Turf Moor is a tidy football ground ...

Apart from the old Bob Lord Stand which is shallow by comparison it's about the same as ours & Goodison ...

They fill it regularly pre lockdown

To say it's a shìt hole is a cheap childish comment ....

:tango:

More like the New Den, at best 

53 minutes ago, Pulsar said:

Their ground is 50% different now to '83.

the big side terrace where the Wednesday hordes (and Burnley fans) were stood is a totally different stand now housing seats and boxes.

Their old Kop to the left of the pic has also been replaced with a similar seat and box stand.

Both sides drastically cutting their capacity down. 

I think the stand opposite, visible in the pic  and the stand to the right (where away fans are now housed) are pretty much the same. 

When I went in 73 we were sat where the away fans sit now and I don't think it's changed much, didn't go in 83 was living in South Africa at the time , came back for the semi at Highbury though and what an atmosphere that was , disappointed by the performance on the day though.

So what was the away end that day ?

My Dad took me to my First "real" away match (I'd previously been to Bramall Lane) at Cambridge in the Previous Round. (2 goals from a certain G Megson if my memory serves me correctly)

He told me we would be going to the next Cup match, the excitement I felt looking forward to this was only surpassed by my disappointment when he told me we couldn't go as tickets had sold out.

Recall watching it on Tv and remember Hodge's Penalty save, wishing I'd been there.

The disappointment didn't last though, the Replay soon saw to that, not just the scoreline but the Atmosphere on the Kop that Night, and the genuine feeling that indeed i would soon be going Wembley. (Effing Brighton!!) 

Guest mkowl

My first away game 

Me and a couple of school mates went on the coach, thinking we had booked the ICO. 

In fact booked on the Supporters Club coach and you were supposed to be a member. Thought we would get kicked off before we got there.

In the away end and like everybody said it was packed. Then they put more in. 

Ended up stood next to one of the deputy heads from our school as well. Fearsome bloke so we kept quiet. Saying that was only 15 and of course you think you are streetwise but you suddenly realise this was proper mesters stuff. Remember just getting in the middle of the Wednesday fans on the walk back.

Anyway ended up getting proper dose of flu on the Monday so never got to the home replay. 

1 hour ago, sexpistol said:

I believe the goals were shown on Calendar or Look North.

I think goals from the boxing day massacre took about 20 odd years before being seen again.....maybe that 5.0 will be seen again one day soon..... id love to see that night again......what a night

• Like 2

I was 10, it was only my second ever away game. We were in the stand behind the goal with those awful wooden seats which looked like they'd been there since the 15th century (and were still there when I last went to Burnley, decades later), but over to the side and I couldn't even see the goal at our end. When they got the early penalty, all I could do was look at the fans in the "stand" to our left which was split half Wednesday and half Burnley, either that or all the Wednesday fans were stood at our end, and pray that it would be the Wednesday fans celebrating and not Burnley. Thankfully it was our lot who went barmy but I had to wait until I saw it on MOTD later that night to see what had actually happened.  Apart from that, it just seemed like the Alamo, with our defence throwing themselves in front of every shot and defending for their lives, and then of course the replay was one of the great Hillsborough nights.

1 hour ago, OWL1969 said:

My Dad took me to my First "real" away match (I'd previously been to Bramall Lane) at Cambridge in the Previous Round. (2 goals from a certain G Megson if my memory serves me correctly)

He told me we would be going to the next Cup match, the excitement I felt looking forward to this was only surpassed by my disappointment when he told me we couldn't go as tickets had sold out.

Recall watching it on Tv and remember Hodge's Penalty save, wishing I'd been there.

The disappointment didn't last though, the Replay soon saw to that, not just the scoreline but the Atmosphere on the Kop that Night, and the genuine feeling that indeed i would soon be going Wembley. (Effing Brighton!!) 

Just read someone else's comment, I think they're right and it was Bolder not Hodge who saved the Penalty.

Memory not what it once was, but do remember seeing it on Tv.

17 minutes ago, OWL1969 said:

Just read someone else's comment, I think they're right and it was Bolder not Hodge who saved the Penalty.

Memory not what it once was, but do remember seeing it on Tv.

Yeah it was Big Bob, Wilko signed Hodge in the summer of 1983

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Watto said:

When I went in 73 we were sat where the away fans sit now and I don't think it's changed much, didn't go in 83 was living in South Africa at the time , came back for the semi at Highbury though and what an atmosphere that was , disappointed by the performance on the day though.

So what was the away end that day ?

For the semi at Highbury?

Well i was on the North Bank with the Wednesday and Brighton had the smaller clock end.

I forget which side stand we had?