Sheffield Wednesday and Hillsborough in the 1960's

Screenshot 2021-01-17 at 17.21.33.jpg

Screenshot 2021-01-17 at 17.21.58.jpg

Screenshot 2021-01-17 at 17.22.18.jpg

Screenshot 2021-01-17 at 17.23.19.jpg

Screenshot 2021-01-17 at 17.23.27.jpg

Screenshot 2021-01-17 at 17.23.42.jpg

Thought you might like to see these photos of games at Hillsborough in the sixties!

This amateur film gives a revealing picture into top flight football in England, the old First Division, in the mid-1960s. The film shows action from Sheffield Wednesday playing at home at Hillsborough Stadium to Arsenal, possibly the match in March 1964: the Scottish centre half Ian Ure looks to be playing for Arsenal.

The other two games have quite small crowds, so are probably both reserve team fixtures, possibly against Manchester United and Blackpool.

These films were taken by keen Sheffield Wednesday supporter Harry Wilson of Barnsley, who also filmed around the same time the world champion potato grower, George Brook, also from Barnsley. There is also amateur film of the West Germany v Uruguay World Cup game played at Hillsborough.

This is of course a much different looking Stadium to the one that was re-built in the wake of the tragedy there of 1986. It isn’t clear what the connection is, if any, between the football matches and the photograph of the Manchester United Busby Babes displayed at the end, just before another football tragedy, the Munich air crash of February 1958.

• Like 2
  • Love 4
  • Thanks 2

Owlstalk Shop

See that small barrier on the left hand side of Leppings Lane on the 5th picture. That was my usual spot when I started going.

Must have been lording it in the South that day. Reserve matches were an opportunity to sit there and pretend you’d got a few bob and nod to Eric and and Sir Andrew.  Happy days  

• Like 4

Looks like a Central League (reserves) game to me with just the East End of the South terrace open. Arsenal games were always well attended and you would expect about 25000 in Hillsborough for that.

I used to go to the reserves games in the early 60’s.when I got chance. Used to see some soon to be famous up and coming players along with those coming back from injury. Only a few in the ground and you could hear  every word of what went on on the pitch. Bit like today really.

• Like 1

I love Hillsborough now but i started going regularly in 80/81and miss the old terracing.

Even the current Lepp looked class when it was terracing at the front and in the corner, somehow looked a lot bigger and cleaner and the stadium lines were better. 

However, have seen many pics of the old Leppings Lane from the 30s to the 60s and it looks amazing, especially when it was packed.

There used to be a small roofed section on the North West corner and it still stood for a season or two when the Cantilever was built. 

I know we have to move on but i do miss old football grounds. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pulsar said:

I love Hillsborough now but i started going regularly in 80/81and miss the old terracing.

Even the current Lepp looked class when it was terracing at the front and in the corner, somehow looked a lot bigger and cleaner and the stadium lines were better. 

However, have seen many pics of the old Leppings Lane from the 30s to the 60s and it looks amazing, especially when it was packed.

There used to be a small roofed section on the North West corner and it still stood for a season or two when the Cantilever was built. 

I know we have to move on but i do miss old football grounds. 

Same here - I have loads of books about football stadiums and every single one had proper character

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

15 hours ago, onslow said:

We need a virtual museum section on the club website,...there can only be so many historic photographs knocking around.

Be great to have them in one place for everyone to see

Perhaps one set up on owlstalk.co.uk

Could have Different sub sections eg 60's , peles visits etc