The Rotherham vs Derby result

This one might get moved to General chat, but the permutations of these results that directly affect us are always fascinating to my mind.

A smash and grab win for Rotherham means we are still in 21st place on equal points with Derby and Rotherham respectively (19 points) and only separated by 2 goals in Goal Difference.

Was this a good result for us? Or a terrible result? For you, what would have been the best outcome?

I wont say what I think here at first since this is more about general consensus of the site and the punters.

• Like 1

I think either the actual outcome or a draw was the best result for us. We have just got to look out for ourselves. Our defence remains our best chance of staying up.

We need to recruit in the forward areas if possible but we might just have enough in Paterson and Windass to see us through this season but it’ll be a close run thing either way.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Beighton Owl 87 said:

I would've preferred a Derby win tbh. I can see both Derby and Forest getting a run of results and pulling away. We need to keep our run going and hope the likes of QPR, Coventry, Birmingham and Millwall get dragged into it.

The truth is we are where we are due to the points deduction. Add 6 points to our total and we’d be in amongst the teams you’ve mentioned which gives me a little hope for the second half of the season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Draw I would have been the best result because one point disappears down the collective plug hole. 
By and large results were very much against us this weekend. I’d hope teams like Brum get dragged in but Eg they’ve got Scott Hogan up front - we have no divine right to stay in this division and we won’t unless we can score more goals. 

• Like 1

I think a low scoring win for Rotherham was a good result for us in the round. 
Staying out of the bottom three when our next league games are a way off is a good psychological boost. 
Nil nil would have been ok but would have seen Derby go above us. As has been said table doesn’t mean a lot in some sense but being out of the bottom three even it’s just for a few more days is nice 😀

• Thanks 1

We need to be keeping an eye on points per game. Derby losing keeps them below us. A 1-0 win for Rotherham technically moves them above us (PPG) as they have 2 games in hand however if they lose them both that keeps them below us, so perfect result...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Brissy-owl said:

I'd say a draw was probably the best result, table means nothing as there are a shed loads of games left, although the season is a total pathetic farce & needs ending

The worry is that the season could get called off at any time. Infections seem to be reducing a bit at present so the risk has decreased but if the Government decide to get tough they could tighten rules any day they like.

You can guarrantee it will happen at the worst possible moment for us.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, ozzieowl said:

It kept us above them both surely was best result. 
if that had been last game of season we’d have stayed up so !!!!!

Rotherham have played less than us so if the EFL work on a points per game basis maybe not.

We don't know how our 6 point deduction will be applied, if they apply all of it, we would be down. Logically that would be unfair but this is the EFL we are talking about and I'm not convinced they are totally logical. As we are halfway through the season you can make a sensible argument that half the points deduction should apply, in which case we stay up. The margin is fine though.

We aren't playing the next round of games so if results go against us it could all change. I've got to the stage where I've given up worrying about it, what will be, will be. If things don't change between now and the end of the window I don't expect us to be out of danger at any stage this season.

I'm really not convinced Derby are as likely to pull clear as many seem to think.

They've already made their managerial change, chucking all their eggs in the Rooney basket which hasn't done that much for them in terms of results, players still not being paid and a mystery takeover dragging on and on, if that doesn't get resolved by the end of the window they'll struggle to bring any reinforcements in and if that's the case they could be in trouble.

Rooney was great player obviously but he's a total rookie when it comes to management and I'm not sure he'll have what it takes to pull the current group out if the situation they're in right now without plenty of cash.

The next couple of weeks are absolutely huge for them.

Edited by Dunkstar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Dunkstar said:

I'm really not convinced Derby are as likely to pull clear as many seem to think.

They've already made their managerial change, chucking all their eggs in the Rooney basket which hasn't done that much for them in terms of results, players still not being paid and a mystery takeover dragging on and on, if that doesn't get resolved by the end of the window they'll struggle to bring any reinforcements in and if that's the case they could be in trouble.

Rooney was great player obviously but he's a total rookie when it comes to management and I'm not sure he'll have what it takes to pull the current group out if the situation they're in right now without plenty of cash.

The next couple of weeks are absolutely huge for them.

It really is a poor appointment by Derby. The players will also be further demoralised by that loss yesterday. 

I'd say with squads and managers as they stand, I'd back us to stay up over Derby. 

• Like 2