'91: The inside story of Sheffield Wednesday's historic 1990/91 season

1833560132.jpg

Screenshot 2021-01-17 at 08.57.34.jpg

'91: The inside story of Sheffield Wednesday's historic 1990/91 season

Our very own @Toadie has been working hard on the ultimate story of the 91 season and it's now available for pre-order 

Im sure Alex will give us more info on some of the things covered but from what I"ve seen and heard so far it's looking like a must have book for Wednesday fans

Pre-Order here - https://www.verticaleditions.com/shop/-p268281909

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Owlstalk Shop

8 hours ago, Owl999 said:

30 Years in just 3 short Months.

Wow, as they say, time wait for no man's,  where have those Years gone?

It really doesn't feel like 30 Years

There'll be loads on here, who weren't even born, but that day is etched indelibly in my Mind, down to where we Parked, the Walk upto Wembley Way, The first sight of the famous Towers(sadly no longer here 😕

Yes, I was at Wembley, I could see the famous Towers, I was going to watch my team, our team Sheffield Wednesday in a Cup Final at Wembley, it wasn't all a dream, after a lifetime of waiting (I was only 21 but it had been forever for me, strange how the following 30 Years have flown by) after a lifetime of singing "were the Famous Sheffield Wednesday and we're going to Wembley" it was happening, I, we all of us, The Wednesday were at Wembley.

The Walk down Wembley Way, which somehow was almost 95% Wednesday Fans, (IT was a Special day to us, but just another Wembley Appearance to them). 

The sight of the Team Bus, coming down Wembley Way and the reception they got, The Noise we made to welcome them.

And then into the Stadium, not just any Stadium but Wembley Stadium wow.

The excitement as I, we handed over our tickets and were going to Enter Wembley to watch our team Sheffield Wednesday at Wembley! 

(In all honesty once inside itwas probably a letdown to what we expected, but we didn't care we were there and that was all that mattered)

Then The Noise, The Noise pre kick off, especially as the lads walked round the pitch, which somehow got louder as Carlton walked towards us, The Noise as the teams came down the famous Tunnel, the Noise as the game kicked off and by God the Noise when we scored!!

Then the tension, could we hold on? 

Could we score again?

Me praying for a second goal, my Dad (RIP Dad) only very near the end saying he was glad we hadn't got another goal as the memories of losing from 2 nil up 25 Years previously still haunted him.

And still The Noise, constant none stop ear splitting Noise and flag waving, supporting our team, backing our team, begging our boys to do it.

A disallowed goal for Man Utd, just one Great save from Turner, Man Utd for all their Superstars ( who a few short weeks later would defeat Barcelona in the European Cup Winners Cup)  didn't really trouble us, this 2nd Division Team were not grimly hanging but actually more than matching our illustrious opponents.

A few minutes, maybe only seconds left, we can do it and then our long serving reliable Centre Half, who'd only just come on (and who in all his previous career wI think us I'd barely seen pass the halfway line) decides now is the time for a rampaging marauding run up the Wing.

What are you doing? I shout, hold it, pass it, GO ON! GO ON! GO ON!

A few more seconds, minutes, Hours, Days, who knows how long of agony and then Finally, Blissfully, Unbelievably, it's over we've done it!!

Please don't wake up Now, Please not Now.

No its not a Dream we get to see Our Captain Nigel go up and collect the Cup  off errr anybody? The girl from Rumbelows?  Tracy Something? Bateman? Who knows? Who cares?

Certainly no one of a Blue and White Persuasion 

By now the other end is already empty, would we be so eager to leave if we'd just lost I ask myself (Unfortunately I was soon to find out, then again many Years later)

Of course we wouldn't were made of stronger stuff.

Then the aftermath, the team, the Manager, the Fans as one rejoicing, joyous scenes, that will stay with me forever.

I can even recall the trip home and flying the Flag out of the Car window for at least 20 miles up the M1 as the traffic wasn't moving much up until then.

Will we get back in time for last orders?

No, but I could live with that.

Get in and watch it all again (except for the Post match Celebrations, Thanks YTV)  on the good old Betamax just to make sure it wasn't a dream.

What a day, what a season, what a team, What a Time.

Sorry for the longevity but some memories are definetly worth sharing.

We love You Wednesday we do!

8 hours ago, Owl999 said:

• Love 1

On 17/01/2021 at 22:03, OWL1969 said:

Then the aftermath, the team, the Manager, the Fans as one rejoicing, joyous scenes, that will stay with me forever.

I can even recall the trip home and flying the Flag out of the Car window for at least 20 miles up the M1 as the traffic wasn't moving much up until then.

Will we get back in time for last orders?

No, but I could live with that.

Get in and watch it all again (except for the Post match Celebrations, Thanks YTV)  on the good old Betamax just to make sure it wasn't a dream.

What a day, what a season, what a team, What a Time.

Sorry for the longevity but some memories are definetly worth sharing.

We love You Wednesday we do!

Jesus Christ even in 91 you must have been one of the remaining Betamax users, the video libraries didn’t stock anything new from 85 onwards , did you watch Crocodile Dundee at a mates house ?