Hillsborough

No matter how crap we are. Does anyone proper, proper miss it? 
I don’t always get chance these days to get down there as I work away etc. Used to have a season ticket for 10+ years and no matter what... even with Ola Tidman in goal I still turn up on a Tuesday night. 
Maybe it’s the fact we’re not allowed that pulls on the heartstrings more so? But got to stage now where I just want to watch my friggin team and have an overpriced pie and a half mile queue for a ********. 

• Like 1

The game has become an online event, which is cheaper, avoids the battle and time to get to the ground, and you can drink, smoke and do whatever you want while watching Wednesday.  We've been watching bad football in empty stadiums, like reserve team games I used to go to.

After Covid, will people flock back to pubs, restaurants, planes etc sustainably when it's all done, or have they discovered some more home comforts?   

Wednesday's saving grace could be our own incompetence, as season tickets get carried over to next year(idle speculation on my part) will get fans back in to the routine of going to games rather than staying online.  

Do I miss Hillsborough?  Nope.  I only miss it when I walk up the steps to the North, glance at the away end to see how many they've brought and then the Kop and then take my seat, only then do I realised I missed it.   

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Manwë said:

The game has become an online event, which is cheaper, avoids the battle and time to get to the ground, and you can drink, smoke and do whatever you want while watching Wednesday.  We've been watching bad football in empty stadiums, like reserve team games I used to go to.

After Covid, will people flock back to pubs, restaurants, planes etc sustainably when it's all done, or have they discovered some more home comforts?   

Wednesday's saving grace could be our own incompetence, as season tickets get carried over to next year(idle speculation on my part) will get fans back in to the routine of going to games rather than staying online.  

Do I miss Hillsborough?  Nope.  I only miss it when I walk up the steps to the North, glance at the away end to see how many they've brought and then the Kop and then take my seat, only then do I realised I missed it.   

The same could be said of other sectors... high street retail for example. Although there already was an unstoppable migration from bricks and mortar shopping to online shopping there will always be people who enjoy the social buzz of physical shopping, the day out , meeting with friends etc, but the more it is denied to them and the more used that they get to the comfort of shopping from home there will inevitably be people who don’t return to the old traditional methods.

Wednesday will definitely loose some bums on seats because the passion and habits will wain, especially with the way that the club is being run at the moment, but speaking for myself nothing can replace a visit to Hillsborough for me. I can’t wait to make the pilgrimage again... because that’s what it is for me. Watching Wednesday on a screen playing in a vacuous soulless stadium is soul destroying, I miss the old familiar sights, sounds. smells, and the pride of being at the home of the club that you love with the fans that you love.  

• Like 3

I come to Hillsborough with my son. He prefers going to games rather than watching on tv. That 5 hours in the car and stadium with him are a joy - though “joy” during the actual 90 minutes has been pretty thin on the ground in recent seasons.

He’ll be off to Uni when the 22/23 starts, so I’ve probably only got 21/22 left when we’ll be attending every game.

Yes I miss it a lot. Love match-days and match evenings.

Got to say though that I’m loving the ability to watch every match on ifollow/Sky.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, robowl4life said:

No matter how crap we are. Does anyone proper, proper miss it? 
I don’t always get chance these days to get down there as I work away etc. Used to have a season ticket for 10+ years and no matter what... even with Ola Tidman in goal I still turn up on a Tuesday night. 
Maybe it’s the fact we’re not allowed that pulls on the heartstrings more so? But got to stage now where I just want to watch my friggin team and have an overpriced pie and a half mile queue for a ********. 

Me & especially mi lad Miss the long walk down t’Beres🤤

Guest hirstysfags
46 minutes ago, owls-swfc said:

I'm trying to fathom out what it is you queuing for, given the amount of asterisks?

I think we all know 😉😉😉

For me, the longer its been going in (not being able to go to games) the less interested I am and its all down to the poo show off the pitch (not that on the pitch is much better!). 

Hopefully things are in a better position by the time we can go back and there's a glimmer of hope/uplift that things are changing for the better. 

• Like 2

No one really knows what the post COVId world will be yet.  We might still have some restrictions - eg face masks at matches - that will put some off going. But equally we may have a massive reaction to being locked up for nearly a year and a half and basically do as much as possible as soon as this is over. I am very much in the latter camp .  

I miss it a lot. 
I am in the groove of watching games on the interweb to some extent but do miss the physical experience of going to watch a match in a crowd. 
Its a day out really more than it’s a sporting event. 

I am as cheesed off as everyone with the way the club is right now, but seem to have disassociated the whole debarcle from my ‘enjoyment’ and support for the team. 

4 hours ago, owls-swfc said:

I'm trying to fathom out what it is you queuing for, given the amount of asterisks?

The services of the infamous lady on the Kop?lol

Edited by prowl
  • Haha 1