Bruce was going to walk anyway

Guest Grandad

Just now, FreshOwl said:

If their job is just to write columns, surely they’d get any person in with a hint of articulation 

These people are hired for their understanding, knowledge and contacts in the game. That’s how journalism works. You want the people working for you who have the contacts, so when you get that scoop your news company trumps above all others 

Face palm. Sorry mate this is absolutely ludicrous. You are not hired for having contacts in the game. 

You get their through a passion for sport, hard work and an ability to write. 

They are local reporters. They aren’t national journalists working for big corporations like Sky News, News Corp or the BBC. They work for the little old Sheffield Star or the Yorkshire Post.

7 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Face palm. Sorry mate this is absolutely ludicrous. You are not hired for having contacts in the game. 

You get their through a passion for sport, hard work and an ability to write. 

They are local reporters. They aren’t national journalists working for big corporations like Sky News, News Corp or the BBC. They work for the little old Sheffield Star or the Yorkshire Post.

Eh? Local reports or national journalists, their job is the same. The only difference you’re alluding to is the size of the company they’re working for.

You’ve got transfer news from the Star/Yorkshire post on many occasions over the years. Growing up as a lad I would read the YP before matchdays for transfer updates 

In a hugely competitive market, if you honestly don’t think ‘who you know’ plays a part then you’re naive. You need a decent sized contacts book, a network of people to go to for stories

And with hindsight I wouldn’t put Howson and Biggs in the same category. Biggs is more investigative whilst Howson is more of a column filler 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Eh? Local reports or national journalists, their job is the same. The only difference you’re alluding to is the size of the company they’re working for.

You’ve got transfer news from the Star/Yorkshire post on many occasions over the years. Growing up as a lad I would read the YP before matchdays for transfer updates 

In a hugely competitive market, if you honestly don’t think ‘who you know’ plays a part then you’re naive. You need a decent sized contacts book, a network of people to go to for stories

And with hindsight I wouldn’t put Howson and Biggs in the same category. Biggs is more investigative whilst Howson is more of a column filler 

God this is so wrong it hurts my brain. 

Just now, FreshOwl said:

Did you read my last sentence 

So who are you talking about exactly? 

The local reporters do a good job of reporting what they can with the resources and access available to them.

If you want full on investigation into what Chansiri has for his dinner contact BBC Panorama or hire a private investigator to go undercover as a super agent. 

lol

1 minute ago, SallyCinnamon said:

So who are you talking about exactly? 

The local reporters do a good job of reporting what they can with the resources and access available to them.

If you want full on investigation into what Chansiri has for his dinner contact BBC Panorama or hire a private investigator to go undercover as a super agent. 

lol

You’re going a bit OTT with this constant Panorama reference 

The fact is although they might be nice chaps, they offer next to nothing most weeks with their empty articles and ‘what I think will happen’ columns, and appear to have very little pull with the club representatives 

Journalists have contacts, regardless of size, stature or who they work for. That’s how it is and how it always will be. Newspapers want customers to read their articles right? So how do they draw them in exactly? 

Do you seriously think it’s just about being nice, hardworking and articulate? 

And my previous post wasn’t wrong. I used to catch most of Wednesdays transfer gossip in the Yorkshire post. And this wasn’t before the turn of the century, this was post 2010.

Our transfer rumours and dealings are rarely posted in the national press, so where are we supposed to get that information? Yep you guessed it the local press 

Less expectation on Howson as his job seems to be pick your Wednesday 11 for the upcoming match, but Biggs, Crann etc can do more, in my opinion 

40 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

This is exactly why I get annoyed when people jump into threads when they're first started to slate the people who write the articles we're debating instead of the article they wrote

It ALWAYS descends into this nonsense

Tha'ts your opinion, I find it rather entertaining , its like a good old family squabble, dysfunctional family of course  ;- )

29 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

The fact is although they might be nice chaps, they offer next to nothing most weeks with their empty articles and ‘what I think will happen’ columns, and appear to have very little pull with the club representatives 

Journalists have contacts, regardless of size, stature or who they work for. That’s how it is and how it always will be. Newspapers want customers to read their articles right? So how do they draw them in exactly? 

And my previous post wasn’t wrong. I used to catch most of Wednesdays transfer gossip in the Yorkshire post. And this wasn’t before the turn of the century, this was post 2010.

Our transfer rumours and dealings are rarely posted in the national press, so where are we supposed to get that information? Yep you guessed it the local press 

Less expectation on Howson as his job seems to be pick your Wednesday 11 for the upcoming match, but Biggs, Crann etc can do more, in my opinion 

Dom Howson literally broke the news Andre Green was signing before anyone else. They get their fair share of transfer rumours.

You’re telling Biggs and Crann that they can do their jobs better? That’s a bit rich.  If it’s so easy why don’t you do it. Imagine telling two blokes with years in sports media to do their jobs better. They report the info they get, reveal the odd transfer rumour and provide content for fans to read - if you don’t read their content that’s fine. You don’t have to. If you want them to go all investigative then you’re pointing the finger at the wrong people. They only work for the local paper. 

33 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Also Wednesday is very much a closed book under DC. You’re asking them to break more transfer news when they probably try their best. DC is not transparent with fans, he sure as hell isn’t going to be transparent with the media who he probably doesn’t trust at all. 

You’re very wide off the mark on this one. The local journalists around here do a much better job than other areas of the country. 

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, brian joicey said:

always believed this to be true  all along.

they're NOT allowed to manage ,they're just coaches/yes men. hence, no british managers any more.

Like at most of the professional Football clubs today.

The day of the manager running the club have been gone for a long time, Ferguson was the last one of that breed and if the young coaches coming through the British game cant adapt to that, then they will have no future in the game.

28 minutes ago, Yorksowl said:

Its amazing how many times you pop up in these so called 'nonesense threads' There not nonsense, but debated on. You day something then I say something. Isn't that how it works. Take personalities out of it, its the content like you say, post not poster. Where exacttly as anyone actually slated the so called 'Sports Writer' come 'Journalist'. It was the content. Totally a different matter. Buts its ok for you to say posters on here talk nonsense. Ey o reight. 

Seriously - you've spent all day on this forum wanting to trash sports writers and getting narked when I point out how fooooooking TEEEEEDIOUS that is 

There's a reason it annoys me

It's because it annoys anyone reading the site  

I despise it 

Any/every time a thread is started on a subject you get the same people immediately looking to find out who wrote the article, who said what in the press, who gave the interview, which pundit said it and immediately and instantly turn the thread into that person

Like it or not I'm not having it anymore - it's been done to death and I'm sick of every thread getting sabotaged by it

Sorry if that goes against your stance of logging onto football forums to attack sports writers, pundits, TV shows, newspapers instead of talking about the football

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

6 hours ago, bigash_swfc said:

We've seen Carlton Palmer tweet like a mad man recently. Slating the club and desperately wanting the job at the same time.

This says alot.

He goes into the category..

Cook, Palmer, Cowley (want to be employed by Chansiri) but it seems unlikely and they resort to being bitter

Have you ever been in a role and quickly changed your  mind about the employer / environment. 
Not sure football managers apply for a job because they want to work for a certain owner (unless the salary is the main factor).

Some people just want work. Football is no different.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SallyCinnamon said:

DC is not transparent with fans, he sure as hell isn’t going to be transparent with the media who he probably doesn’t trust at all. 

Eh..

He said your money pays for nothing, he said pulis was a throw pot, he said we are in big shyte with ffp, he said he will take his time finding the next guy....

9 hours ago, McRightSide said:

He was also able to extend Westwood and Palmer 

Suspect SB had more influence than most. Stature and personality.... but if he had to struggle for decisions and realised the promised money for players wasn't there ( like Pulis), he was prepared to walk even if NUFC had not come knocking.