Bruce was going to walk anyway

Guest Grandad

4 hours ago, swinners said:

Purely this.  I, like everyone around, wanted a sugar daddy who would come in, pump in millions bankroll the club and take me on a ride.  He's done just that.  Talk about being careful what you wish for.  I feel firmly bitten on my.bum!

I think his philosophy is..   I have paid for it, it's  mine and I don't care what anyone thinks. 

Exactly my point, we just need to sit back and watch it unfold...hopefully we'll be reyt

2 hours ago, Jamie_W said:

And they usually have people who know about football working around that Coach. A Director of Football etc. Not our set-up of a stubborn, ego-maniac chairman who is learning football as he goes who wants to run the show and is being taken advantage of by self-serving ‘advisors’ but doesn’t seem to want to admit it isn’t working.

Flipping Urby for gods sake... 

Parked up here.

23 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

I don’t think he’s very hands on

Bruce saying today he's "going to do it his way", which suggests that he's not been entirely in control of things up until now. Yet people here saying he was going to walk because Chansiri was controlling certain things and he wouldn't work under those conditions...

12 minutes ago, Minton said:

Bruce saying today he's "going to do it his way", which suggests that he's not been entirely in control of things up until now. Yet people here saying he was going to walk because Chansiri was controlling certain things and he wouldn't work under those conditions...

I don’t think he was happy here with some of the ffp issues but whether he would’ve walked is another thing. As I posted earlier he was still able to make some decent signings.

Thing is with Bruce he will say what he needs to in the press, but the impression I get in Newcastle is that Ashley isn’t really a day to day man. He has a business plan and parameters but it’s his directors like charnley who are the feet on the ground.

4 hours ago, brian joicey said:

so,  the trouble our club is in is due to alan biggs not breaking any news ???🤷‍♂️

look at the BIGGER picture

WTF you on about. The club is a shambles we all know that, AB is not telling us anything new for gods sake

1 minute ago, Big Jack said:

WTF you on about. The club is a shambles we all know that, AB is not telling us anything new for gods sake

This is it for me 

Correct me if I’m wrong, and I have no problem with the current crop of journalists by the way, but isn’t there job to unravel information we as fans are not privy to? 

Otherwise what’s the point in having a journalist, if all they do is tell us stuff we already know? 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

This is it for me 

Correct me if I’m wrong, and I have no problem with the current crop of journalists by the way, but isn’t there job to unravel information we as fans are not privy to? 

Otherwise what’s the point in having a journalist, if all they do is tell us stuff we already know? 

No this isn’t their job.

A local sports reporter fills columns, reports matches and provides content for their readers in line with what their editor asks of them. 

They might get a scoop every now and again. But they don’t have the resources or time to do a proper investigation into Sheffield Wednesday. Even if they did get pieces of information which fans want to know , revealing it could damage the relationship/trust between reporter and club which could risk their job and open them up to legal issues. A local on the beat reporter is not BBC Panorama or Dan Roan. 

Hope this clears it up for everyone who thinks Dom Howson who probably earns less than 25k a year should be writing double page spreads exposing the inner dealings of Sheffield Wednesday for the whole world. Not even national newspapers gain that kind of access.

Edited by SallyCinnamon

2 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

No this isn’t their job.

A local sports reporter fills columns, reports matches and provides content for their readers in line with what their editor asks of them. 

They might get a scoop every now and again. But they don’t have the resources or time to do a proper investigation into Sheffield Wednesday. Even if they did get pieces of information which fans want to know , revealing damage the relationship/trust between reporter and club which could risk their job and open them up to legal issues. A local on the beat reporter is not BBC Panorama or Dan Roan. 

Hope this clears it up for everyone who thinks Dom Howson who probably earns less than 25k a year should be writing double page spreads exposing the inner dealings of Sheffield Wednesday for the whole world. Not even national newspapers gain that kind of access.

The problem is, people can gain all that information themselves these days. 

Edited by FreshOwl

Just now, FreshOwl said:

The problem is, people can gain all that information themselves these days. Probably 

Yes which is why newspapers are dying. That’s not a Sheffield Star problem, it’s a problem up and down the country created by the huge amount of information you can consume on the Internet. 

It’s why the Sheffield Star now have to charge a subscription to read articles and have adverts all over their website to try and generate income. 

They do a good job the local reporters. We’d miss them if they weren’t there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Yes which is why newspapers are dying. That’s not a Sheffield Star problem, it’s a problem up and down the country created by the huge amount of information you can consume on the Internet. 

It’s why the Sheffield Star now have to charge a subscription to read articles and have adverts all over their website to try and generate income. 

They do a good job the local reporters. We’d miss them if they weren’t there.

I’ll be brutally honest, I doubt many would notice.

You’re right, journalism has changed. Any old person can get a match report themselves. Readers want to be enticed now more than ever 

It comes down to what value they’re offering. I could read @frastheowl’s match review on here and it would be far better than anything from Biggs or Howson 

I’d argue their job is largely based on getting a scoop, which is why Biggs has been so heavy on the Cook content 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

I’ll be brutally honest, I doubt many would notice.

You’re right, journalism has changed. Any old person can get a match report themselves. Readers want to be enticed now more than ever 

It comes down to what value they’re offering. I could read @frastheowl’s match review on here and it would be far better than anything from Biggs or Howson 

I’d argue their job is largely based on getting a scoop, which is why Biggs has been so heavy on the Cook content 

People would notice, I follow them on social media and they often are useful for updates during matches or for passing on info. However I agree, I’d rather read what someone on here says post game then what Howson or Biggs write. But that’s the way sports writing and journalism has gone. Anyone can have an opinion and anyone has a platform to air their views. 

But they do still have readership. People do read what they say. And they are also on hand for press conferences, post match interviews etc which we all follow and listen/read about. 

Nowadays a lot of sports writing is click bait and being finger on the pulse when news breaks to engage with fans and get clicks on your articles.

And of course the elderly still read newspapers! That readership isn’t dead yet.

Edited by SallyCinnamon

If their job is just to write columns, surely they’d get any person in with a hint of articulation 

These people are hired for their understanding, knowledge and contacts in the game. That’s how journalism works. You want the people working for you who have the contacts, so when you get that scoop your news company trumps above all others 

• Haha 1