I actually had a look today at putting a tenner on Thompson this am at 20 to 1. I am not on any gambling sites so by the time I though about getting an account and all the faffing about that comes with it he had drifted in to 10 to 1. Doesn’t mean much I suppose. I have been saying for a while the more chaotic things are the more likely Thompson is to get the job to the end of the season so maybe it will happen?

It will probably end Thompson’s career here though!

Just as an aside, I saw Stuart Gray walking along with Paul Parker the other day on the TV. He looked like a man loving life to be fair! I wish he’d stayed on as a coach here as he added a lot to the club and is clearly a pretty decent coach!

As I said previously I would be tempted to give it Thompson until the end of the season.  At least that’s some sort of plan, albeit a short term one.  Chance to take stock and not lurch from one crisis to the next.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, striker said:

When does he become a credible candidate

If it seems Chansiri wants to play championship manager and  wants a coach to work with players Chansiri buys, rather than a manager to manage, surely he's a credible candidate more so than some of the names linked. 

Won more games than Pulis, knows and has the respect of players and a damn site cheaper than bringing in a random manager to sack in a couple of months.

Based on the job specification Chansiri seems to be working with, ticks many boxes. 

He is already a credible candidate and I think he could well get the gig to the end of the season with a remit to keep us up. DC from what I hear will be selling up and then the new owners can appoint their own man

• Like 3
12 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

He is already a credible candidate and I think he could well get the gig to the end of the season with a remit to keep us up. DC from what I hear will be selling up and then the new owners can appoint their own man

Please let that be true. Where did you get that info from?

6 minutes ago, striker said:

Please let that be true. Where did you get that info from?

One of the lads who I know who is normally a credible source of info. It all hinges on staying in this division from what he has said

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
22 hours ago, striker said:

When does he become a credible candidate

If it seems Chansiri wants to play championship manager and  wants a coach to work with players Chansiri buys, rather than a manager to manage, surely he's a credible candidate more so than some of the names linked. 

Won more games than Pulis, knows and has the respect of players and a damn site cheaper than bringing in a random manager to sack in a couple of months.

Based on the job specification Chansiri seems to be working with, ticks many boxes. 

If what you say is true in the first paragraph then Thompson will be the ONLY candidate. There’s people showing interest right now and applying but I feel they aren’t getting the right signals from the owner with subsequent comments from people like Cook (just) and Cowley (previously). 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

One of the lads who I know who is normally a credible source of info. It all hinges on staying in this division from what he has said

Fingers crossed we stay up then. Thanks for sharing 👍

• Thanks 1

Personally I don’t think Thompson is the right option even until the end of the season. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, room0035 said:

In 175 games managerial career he has a win percentage of 28% that would make him one of the worst manager we have ever.

he has not managed a team since 2004, bar stepping in for us every so often as coach.

It's one thing setting up a team for a few games, it's another thing building a successful team. For me it's a no, but DC does love a cheap option so he has a chance.

Yeah, so cheap he hired Bruce and Pulis - probably two of the most expensive managers you can get in this league. If you’re gonna criticise DC then crack on pal, but you don’t need to make stuff up to do it.

3 minutes ago, Yellowbelly said:

Yeah, so cheap he hired Bruce and Pulis - probably two of the most expensive managers you can get in this league. If you’re gonna criticise DC then crack on pal, but you don’t need to make stuff up to do it.

Lets be fair, if DC preferred the cheap  (Cost effective and sensible) option, we would not have been in the mess we've been in for the last three years.

Before Monk came in I argued Bullen should have been kept in the role full time, as it was clear even then all DC, the advisors and the money men want is a coach.

I would be happy if DC says Thompson has it for the rest of the season, then we move forward knowing he's going to continue to integrate the u23s into the first team.

Thompson will last a couple of games then when the wheels come off Dc will bring someone in. Meanwhile the transfer window is passing by with no direction. When Thompson gets the elbow the window will have gone and we will be well on our way to div 1.

Odds are on that happening anyway. I wish they weren't but if we don't have any system other than hoping to out Pulis, Pulis, I can't see anything else.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Ozymandias Owl said:

Lets be fair, if DC preferred the cheap  (Cost effective and sensible) option, we would not have been in the mess we've been in for the last three years.

Before Monk came in I argued Bullen should have been kept in the role full time, as it was clear even then all DC, the advisors and the money men want is a coach.

I would be happy if DC says Thompson has it for the rest of the season, then we move forward knowing he's going to continue to integrate the u23s into the first team.

I’ll agree with you wholeheartedly on your first point. Some people have worked themselves up into such a lather they don’t remember all the bad things they’re supposed to be accusing DC of and end up contradicting their own argument.

I’ll have to disagree with you on the rest though I’m afraid. We’re a team in desperate need of new impetus and we’re only going to get that with the appointment of a new manager. Personally I’m intrigued by the suggestion of a continental appointment - mainly because virtually all the homegrown suggestions are so uninspiring. I’d like to hope in a man like Fink we could have our own Farke in the making.

If it isn’t going to be Cook then the only other choice I’d even passingly consider is Thompson until the end of the season.

no need to spend more on hiring a new coach and staff, he knows the young lads and I reckon this needs to be our future direction. And if we are relegated we won’t need to sack anyone neccesarily since Thompson would probably go back to coaching role.

Then again, I speak as though we actually have a sensible chairman. Never mind.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Yellowbelly said:

So hiring a guy already at the club is not the cheap option.

No stuff make up lad just 5 years of the same rubbish excuses.

If true that Chansiri wants to sell in the summer then you can see why convincing a manager to sign a 6 month contract may be difficult.  

Im lumping on Thompson now 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, room0035 said:

So hiring a guy already at the club is not the cheap option.

No stuff make up lad just 5 years of the same rubbish excuses.

You said he likes a cheap option when that is demonstrably untrue - hence the current financial constraints we find ourselves in, which you yourself have been persistently vocal about.

Your second line is virtually incomprehensible.

On 15/01/2021 at 22:54, Royal_D said:

Thompson appointed until end of the season is still likely outcome for me 

This ^

Seems increasingly the most likely outcome, with each passing day and after each game. If he continues to get results, it almost seems nailed on. It would possibly be the best outcome for the players and would give DC more time to find the right man, especially if true about wanting a foreign head coach, that would be more likely after the end of the season. 

21 hours ago, Yellowbelly said:

You said he likes a cheap option when that is demonstrably untrue - hence the current financial constraints we find ourselves in, which you yourself have been persistently vocal about.

Your second line is virtually incomprehensible.

He has appointed Carlos, Jos, Monk all the cheap option all out of work managers no one else wanted if any one did we would have been paying compensation for them. Carlos had not managed for 3 years before we had him and rarely stayed anywhere longer than a year Jos had been out of management just as long 2 years and he only last 4 months in his previous role before falling out with the people who ran the club, not the personality that would work well with DC.

He also appointed Bruce and Pulis once again both out of work making then cheaper. The later was that far past management he was working for sky on the games. 

Not exactly going out a spending on getting the best managers in. As so know as the cheap option.

Look if you can say with a straight face that DC is doing a good job, then dear god where would we be if he was doing a bad job, probably out of business and playing games at Hillsborough park, with a new name from the phoenix club set up.