Jump to content

Paul Cook “ If you’re not allowed to manage, then you’re an employee and not a manager.”


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:


Ok so what about the comments of Monk, Cowley, Pulis just all bitter managers? Bruce walking out after 6 months?

 

What about the advisory board of Pearson, Roeder, Hill, Senior and co who left their role soon after they were employed?

 

CEO Katrien Meire who left after a year? 
 

Are all the above things which have happened and the comments made just all a coincidence? 

 

Monk, Cowley and Pulis were/are dogseggs, Bruce left to join his boyhood team in the Premier League.

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Something is wrong with the way DC is doing things. Surely? 
 

Bruce walks out after 6 months.

 

Monk kept alluding to issues behind the scenes and ‘certain situations’. 
 

Pulis lasted 10 bloody games.

 

Why is the Sheffield Wednesday job a seemingly impossible one for any manager? 

Didn’t Carlos say things were wrong

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

DC wants a coach not a manager which would be fair enough if we had a successful team covering all the other aspects of the club.......as it is we are sh!te on all fronts.

 

6 suggestions to put us on the right track......

  • Give the job and the control to someone who understands the game inside out.
  • Enhance the board with some genuine football knowledge and expertise.
  • Enhance the board with someone that understands the history of the club, the fans and the city.
  • Ditch those that have helped you put us in this perilous position.
  • Own the club at arms length, because after several years you may actually be worse at this now than when you started.....
  • Do not make cakes in the shape of giant footballs.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Rogers said:

Didn’t Carlos say things were wrong

I honestly believe when he was saying that it had nothing whatsoever to do with Chansiri.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

what a bloody set up at the top lol  Mr knows nowt about football and the stooges , sadly with the set up as it is I

can't see us going much further forward 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

DC wants a coach so he can manage the coach. We need a manager that can coach DC so the manager can manage the team. 

 

DC keeps to keep is nose out of all football matter because he hasnt got a clue. He's also not wise enough to realise his "advisors" are rinsing him. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, JoshTheOwl said:

Chansiri the dictator. 
 

may as well make himself manager. Maybe then he could sack himself lol 

He'd fall out with the owner and walk long before then!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Philb125 said:


Maybe it’s my rose tinted glasses or the ever optimism and hope for my beloved Wednesday but I do feel we are changing and that we soon will no longer be paying for the past costly mistakes. 
 

Getting rid of almost an entire squad of overpaid players is not an easy task. And sure many mistakes have been made but the transfer approach now, seems far more akin to what we should have been doing or were doing prior to the Rhodes, Abdi, Jones, type signings. 
 

We were very good at signing players below their market value with a point to prove. I think back to Westwood, Lees, Hutch, Bannan, Lee, Fessi, Hooper etc. But something changed after the first near miss and we tried to over pay for the missing piece of the puzzle. Believing we needed players who were already at their peek, who had been there and done it. This was compounded by us doubling or vastly increasing the contracts of the players who had done well for us. 
 

The last of the overpaid players are now out of contract. I sincerely hope that they are offered reduced terms or they leave as we cannot afford for 4/5 players to have 40% of the playing budget.
 

Our transfer business on the whole looks better. Some players are clearly stop gaps to tide us over until we are back to under budget. But many look like great investments. Iorfa and Dunkley probably draw less salary combined than Lees. Luongo Harris and Green less than Rhodes. 
 

Our squad cannot compete, comply with rules  whilst we have been paying for past mistakes. But my hope (and it’s the hope that kills you) is those mistakes are almost paid for and next season the rebuild can finally begin without paying a third / first choice keeper 25k, a 7th choice striker 40k, etc etc. 

 

 

This is all true.

 

But you talk about the missing piece of the puzzle previously being a player?

 

We’re now in a new territory where the missing of the puzzle is a manager than can pull, likely almost a whole new team of players in the summer, together. We’re hopefully gonna do this in the championship and (unless we have a fluke season) will again be looking at the lower to mid range of the table.

 

To truly build upwards, and I really don’t get how long it takes as long as we can see building blocks being formed, we need the right sort of manager. It also would be helpful to have an owner who has a plan and is open and honest with us about the plan, especially if he wants our continued financial support through ST sales and ticket sales once Covid allows for fans back. I feel like we’re not going have either once the 2021-22 season kicks off. If the worst happens this season and we drop to the league one? That just causes a lot of further unrest.

 

In short, this next managerial appointment couldn’t be more crucial and I really had high hopes if we managed to get Paul Cook in. It now seems increasingly likely it’ll be a foreign manager, and probably this Ilic guy. I just don’t feel inspired. I don’t think it’s an appointment the players will buy into. I don’t think it’s an appointment that signals the new era, but more dragging on this current era we’re in.

 

Would absolutely love to be proved wrong on this mind you. I’m not someone who won’t hold my hands up if I’m wrong. I’m usually quite an optimist but I just have a vibe now that we’re missing out on the perfect man for the job and will give it to the next available ‘yes man’.

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hitcat said:

 

Monk, Cowley and Pulis were/are dogseggs, Bruce left to join his boyhood team in the Premier League.

As annoyed as I was at the time he did it, I’m now utterly convinced that he’d not have left if we didn’t have DC as owner and chairman. 
 

If Newcastle came sniffing BUT he saw a future with us (ie: one where he called the shots as manager as what happens in most other clubs) I reckon he stays. Perhaps has his head turned? But ultimately, stays. 
 

There’s been too much managerial upheaval and unrest for me to think differently now. Bruce, like Pulis, was hired with certain promises given to him and Bruce left when he realised things on the inside were a LOT different than what was pitched to him when he was hired AND it just so happened that his boyhood club were sniffing around. Perfect scenario really. He no longer wanted the job he was in and his perfect job has opened up. I don’t blame him.

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, FlyingOwl said:

This is all true.

 

But you talk about the missing piece of the puzzle previously being a player?

 

We’re now in a new territory where the missing of the puzzle is a manager than can pull, likely almost a whole new team of players in the summer, together. We’re hopefully gonna do this in the championship and (unless we have a fluke season) will again be looking at the lower to mid range of the table.

 

To truly build upwards, and I really don’t get how long it takes as long as we can see building blocks being formed, we need the right sort of manager. It also would be helpful to have an owner who has a plan and is open and honest with us about the plan, especially if he wants our continued financial support through ST sales and ticket sales once Covid allows for fans back. I feel like we’re not going have either once the 2021-22 season kicks off. If the worst happens this season and we drop to the league one? That just causes a lot of further unrest.

 

In short, this next managerial appointment couldn’t be more crucial and I really had high hopes if we managed to get Paul Cook in. It now seems increasingly likely it’ll be a foreign manager, and probably this Ilic guy. I just don’t feel inspired. I don’t think it’s an appointment the players will buy into. I don’t think it’s an appointment that signals the new era, but more dragging on this current era we’re in.

 

Would absolutely love to be proved wrong on this mind you. I’m not someone who won’t hold my hands up if I’m wrong. I’m usually quite an optimist but I just have a vibe now that we’re missing out on the perfect man for the job and will give it to the next available ‘yes man’.

 

 


I don’t disagree. But whoever does come in, from next season onwards (assuming we don’t do anything crazy) will at least be operating within a budget that falls within ffp criteria. Assuming we’ve learnt our lesson we can then begin to build and bring in good value players. 

 

A huge task is ahead of us. But hopefully, if we stay up it’s all up from here without being weighed down by Overpaid, hardly played mistakes. 
 

if we can build a team of good players without the silly salaries I’ll be happy. But for every Rhodes, Westwood, Bannan Lees etc. earning 20k plus, we unfortunately have to have a sub par player to average things out. Mid/top level players are available for less than 15k per month so we shouldn’t be paying anyone 20+ for the foreseeable future in my opinion. 
 

I fully expect us to lose Bannan, Reach, Lees, Westwood, JvA, Rhodes but despite some of them being my favourite players and our best players I think it’s ok. We need the next Bannan, The next Westwood, I think Iorfa and Dunkley are more than capable to replace Lees and probably cost the same combined. 
 


 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:


That didn’t work too well for Pulis. 

 

Pulis wasn't open. He was playing the media game. Apparently it's his strategy and it's well documented on here. He did the same at Boro too.

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, FlyingOwl said:

As annoyed as I was at the time he did it, I’m now utterly convinced that he’d not have left if we didn’t have DC as owner and chairman. 
 

If Newcastle came sniffing BUT he saw a future with us (ie: one where he called the shots as manager as what happens in most other clubs) I reckon he stays. Perhaps has his head turned? But ultimately, stays. 
 

There’s been too much managerial upheaval and unrest for me to think differently now. Bruce, like Pulis, was hired with certain promises given to him and Bruce left when he realised things on the inside were a LOT different than what was pitched to him when he was hired AND it just so happened that his boyhood club were sniffing around. Perfect scenario really. He no longer wanted the job he was in and his perfect job has opened up. I don’t blame him.


If Bruce had a track record of loyalty you’d have a stronger argument here. Unfortunately he has a track record of quitting what he perceives as lessor clubs to take over at what he perceives as bigger clubs. We are undoubtedly lessor than Newcastle at this point in time, so we could have had the best, most knowledgeable, most wealthy owners in the land and he’d still have jumped in my opinion. It’s in his DNA.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Something is wrong with the way DC is doing things. Surely? 
 

Bruce walks out after 6 months.

 

Monk kept alluding to issues behind the scenes and ‘certain situations’. 
 

Pulis lasted 10 bloody games.

 

Why is the Sheffield Wednesday job a seemingly impossible one for any manager? 


Carlos said a similar thing to Monk

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Philb125 said:


I don’t disagree. But whoever does come in, from next season onwards (assuming we don’t do anything crazy) will at least be operating within a budget that falls within ffp criteria. Assuming we’ve learnt our lesson we can then begin to build and bring in good value players. 

 

A huge task is ahead of us. But hopefully, if we stay up it’s all up from here without being weighed down by Overpaid, hardly played mistakes. 
 

if we can build a team of good players without the silly salaries I’ll be happy. But for every Rhodes, Westwood, Bannan Lees etc. earning 20k plus, we unfortunately have to have a sub par player to average things out. Mid/top level players are available for less than 15k per month so we shouldn’t be paying anyone 20+ for the foreseeable future in my opinion. 
 

I fully expect us to lose Bannan, Reach, Lees, Westwood, JvA, Rhodes but despite some of them being my favourite players and our best players I think it’s ok. We need the next Bannan, The next Westwood, I think Iorfa and Dunkley are more than capable to replace Lees and probably cost the same combined. 
 


 

 

Again, I totally agree. Player wise I think starting with an almost fresh start is good way to begin the rebuild, rebrand and re-identity of the club.

 

But again, we need to hire the right manager to then buy in the next crop of players at the right/sensible prices. Another guy in the mould of a Stuart Gray, if you will. If it is gonna be this Ilic guy (and I think it will be) my confidence is rock bottom on him being here a full season. And considering we are about to start a massive rebuild, picking the right manager is so bloody important. I’d genuinely rather let Thompson have a crack at it 😖😖

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Any new manager arriving, will be shocked, within months, at how little influence he has at the club. Thompson has been here all through Chansiri’s tenure and knows better than most, how DC operates. He is a coach, not a manager and will be able to accept working under DCs methods, more than any new man coming in. He doesn’t appear to have a big ego, so a clash of personalities should be avoided. His results so far, have been miraculous, considering the absolute mess he inherited. Not fashionable among fans wanting a big name, but for me, the best option for the rest of the season to keep us in the championship.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Ronio said:

DC jumping from one bad decision to another.

 

 

At least the one thing we are guaranteed is consistency. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Philb125 said:


Maybe it’s my rose tinted glasses or the ever optimism and hope for my beloved Wednesday but I do feel we are changing and that we soon will no longer be paying for the past costly mistakes. 
 

Getting rid of almost an entire squad of overpaid players is not an easy task. And sure many mistakes have been made but the transfer approach now, seems far more akin to what we should have been doing or were doing prior to the Rhodes, Abdi, Jones, type signings. 
 

We were very good at signing players below their market value with a point to prove. I think back to Westwood, Lees, Hutch, Bannan, Lee, Fessi, Hooper etc. But something changed after the first near miss and we tried to over pay for the missing piece of the puzzle. Believing we needed players who were already at their peek, who had been there and done it. This was compounded by us doubling or vastly increasing the contracts of the players who had done well for us. 
 

The last of the overpaid players are now out of contract. I sincerely hope that they are offered reduced terms or they leave as we cannot afford for 4/5 players to have 40% of the playing budget.
 

Our transfer business on the whole looks better. Some players are clearly stop gaps to tide us over until we are back to under budget. But many look like great investments. Iorfa and Dunkley probably draw less salary combined than Lees. Luongo Harris and Green less than Rhodes. 
 

Our squad cannot compete, comply with rules  whilst we have been paying for past mistakes. But my hope (and it’s the hope that kills you) is those mistakes are almost paid for and next season the rebuild can finally begin without paying a third / first choice keeper 25k, a 7th choice striker 40k, etc etc. 

 

 

I hope you are right.

 

FFP is rolling, but with Wednesday still not releasing their accounts, all we can do is speculate (while wondering why they still haven't released them).

 

Wage bill is bound to be down, but it was very very high compared to revenue, so even a cliff edge drop might not be enough to make us sustainable.  I'm speculating that we are still at or close to the £13m a year losses operationally, but for FFP purposes, in profit as Hillsborough sale is moved forward a year.

 

We've been doing porridge for several years now, I hope this is the year we are free of it all.

  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, English Man said:

DC wants a coach so he can manage the coach. We need a manager that can coach DC so the manager can manage the team. 

 

DC keeps to keep is nose out of all football matter because he hasnt got a clue. He's also not wise enough to realise his "advisors" are rinsing him. 

We had one, he lasted 45 days.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Chansiri wants a lapdog and not a manager. 

Given Cooks approach to football management then he's a disaster waiting to happen with a despot like Chansiri. 

A manager like Cook simply doesn't fit Chansiris image of what a manager should be. 

Whoever Chansiri picks will be a manager in name only. Chansiri will expect to sign the players he and his 12 year old son wants, he will expect to pick the team. 

Why not just save the money and appoint himself? 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...