The Owls 'Back in the Big Time' 1984-86. Research for New Book

Hello everyone,

As you may know or remember - I was fortunate enough last year to have my first book published "Our Lowest Ebb?" - focusing on the Owls in the mid-70s. I got plenty of help from people on here - for which I am grateful. I am also very appreciative of the support from OwlsTalk when the book was released. 

I think that I've caught the writing and researching bug - as I've agreed to write and publish a follow up. This time looking at happier times on the field as the Owls go 'Back in the Big Time, 1984-86'. So, looking at the team's assault on Division One under Howard Wilkinson.

As with the first book, I am interested in the memories and views of supporters, alongside what was happening on the pitch and at the club. If anyone has memories of the period (Sterland, Marwood, Lyons, Chapman and all) and can spare 15-20 minutes - then I have a survey open here. I'd love to read about and hear people's memories: https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/9MJJVBF

I'm also really interested in the memorabilia people have kept from the mid-80s. So, if you've got a selection of programmes, shirts, rosettes, tickets or anything else of interest - I'd love to hear from you. If there's a great story to go with it, even better!

Cheers, and UTO - John Dyson 

owls rosette.jpg

We are the Owls 1.jpg

• Like 3

Just off topic but wife's just bought me a new book for my birthday. Absolutely brill, full of newspaper reports about Weds from 1907 onwards. Some great match reports and a fantastic read. It's called Football history told through newspaper headlines Sheffield Wednesday and published by Historic Newspapers Limited. Not cheap though at about £40 but fabulous memories.

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ken52 said:

Just off topic but wife's just bought me a new book for my birthday. Absolutely brill, full of newspaper reports about Weds from 1907 onwards. Some great match reports and a fantastic read. It's called Football history told through newspaper headlines Sheffield Wednesday and published by Historic Newspapers Limited. Not cheap though at about £40 but fabulous memories.

Just had a look mate,thanks.

6 hours ago, Bearwood Owl1 said:

Hello everyone,

As you may know or remember - I was fortunate enough last year to have my first book published "Our Lowest Ebb?" - focusing on the Owls in the mid-70s. I got plenty of help from people on here - for which I am grateful. I am also very appreciative of the support from OwlsTalk when the book was released. 

I think that I've caught the writing and researching bug - as I've agreed to write and publish a follow up. This time looking at happier times on the field as the Owls go 'Back in the Big Time, 1984-86'. So, looking at the team's assault on Division One under Howard Wilkinson.

As with the first book, I am interested in the memories and views of supporters, alongside what was happening on the pitch and at the club. If anyone has memories of the period (Sterland, Marwood, Lyons, Chapman and all) and can spare 15-20 minutes - then I have a survey open here. I'd love to read about and hear people's memories: https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/9MJJVBF

I'm also really interested in the memorabilia people have kept from the mid-80s. So, if you've got a selection of programmes, shirts, rosettes, tickets or anything else of interest - I'd love to hear from you. If there's a great story to go with it, even better!

Cheers, and UTO - John Dyson 

owls rosette.jpg

We are the Owls 1.jpg

I'd just like to wish you all the best with this Pal. 

This one is much more in my era (14-16 Years old) and still holds some fantastic Memories.

Having said that I will still be purchasing your first effort "The lowest ebb" as unexpectedly I didn't get get it for Christmass 😠

Good luck John.

11 minutes ago, OWL1969 said:

I'd just like to wish you all the best with this Pal. 

This one is much more in my era (14-16 Years old) and still holds some fantastic Memories.

Having said that I will still be purchasing your first effort "The lowest ebb" as unexpectedly I didn't get get it for Christmass 😠

Good luck John.

Someone needs to have a word with Father Christmas if he didn't sort you out with a copy of Our Lowest Ebb! Hope you enjoy it if and when you do get hold of a copy. 

Plan currently for this one is to have it out for Spring 2022. Fair bit to do first, but it is a great era. We had a top, top team for a while then 🙂

• Like 1