The Wim Jonk Injury Clause

45 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

How do you know he didn't care?

How can you tell a genuine injury from a didn't care?

I don't 'know'.

I did watch him play though.

The stats on his diminishing appearances are plain.

The writing from inside the dressing room at the time are documented fact.

If you think he cared and didnt swing the lead then good for you sir.

I disagree.

51 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

How do you know he didn't care?

How can you tell a genuine injury from a didn't care?

I don't 'know'.

I disagree.

1 hour ago, Minton said:

O'Donnell and Donnelly were on £20k+, as was Carbone, Di Canio, Hinchcliffe, Degryse and pretty much anyone we signed was above the £10k line. We were paying players more in 1998 than we are now, so I think uncle Dave does have something to answer for. 

I know it's not exactly likely to be accurate, but I always distinctly remember Phil Scott's wage on CM01/02 as £15k per week, but it sounds about right. And I genuinely can't remember him playing a single game for us. Makes Abdi look fit and reliable. 

2 minutes ago, Loppy said:

I know it's not exactly likely to be accurate, but I always distinctly remember Phil Scott's wage on CM01/02 as £15k per week, but it sounds about right. And I genuinely can't remember him playing a single game for us. Makes Abdi look fit and reliable. 

I can remember Phil Scott scoring a goal for us v Newcastle at home when we drew 1-1.
I don't think he would have been one of the clubs top earner at the time but none the less a transfer that was a flop.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

I can remember Phil Scott scoring a goal for us v Newcastle at home when we drew 1-1.
I don't think he would have been one of the clubs top earner at the time but none the less a transfer that was a flop.

He manages the big Virgin gym near Abbeydale Road now, or he did last time I looked. 

In fairness to him he had to retire very young with his injuries. 

2 hours ago, Sefton owl said:

Not saying I disagree, but inflation and the cost for a good standard of living has soared since the mid 90s

I was curious about your point which is well made, so I used the inflation calculator on the BOE site (https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/monetary-policy/inflation/inflation-calculator).

£3000 in '93 (IIRC) is same as £6157 in 2019.  Shearer was top of his game at top of the pyramid, banging in goals every week and an England international.  Dawson is third choice keeper at the bottom of the second tier and doesn't even play cos he's a disaster, and even then I think he's punching above his weight, and he's worth 50% more than Shearer would be?

The game went mental.

4 hours ago, Manwë said:

Was it Richards or was it that the game changed?

I remember Shearer getting £3k a week when he signed for Blackburn and wondered what anyone could do with that kind of money.  Cameron Dawson earns three times what Shearer was earning.

Sky money is like a chav winning the lottery, it's blown away without thought 

Richards was quoted as saying (in the local press and maybe in a programme too) that successful teams paid higher wages and that mantra seemed to resonate through the club ever since. The notion that offering higher wages would attract a higher percentage of good players to come to the club was one thing, but it also enticed a much higher percentage of football mercenaries, with several players coming to the club to top up their pensions, knowing that at least one of their various knocks and injuries would soon finish their careers. There was a story doing the rounds at the time we signed Des Walker (and I have no idea who told us this story, but it was either an existing player or an ex player from the club), that Des Walker had been offered a contract which he was thinking over and was about to sign, because he was happy with the package being offered, but Dave Richards had insisted on getting his man and upped the wage offer before Des could get back with his answer. Looking at the wages that have been paid recently to many players who have had very little to no effect in improving our position, we have continued to pay players far more than they would settle for and far more than their services deserve. Des Walker was an extraordinary player and continued to be a great player for us, amongst a host of good young talent and players that had been drawn to us, not just because of the high wages, but also because they could see that something was beginning to happen and they wanted to be part of it. It is very hard to look at the state we are in right now and imagine how we came to sink back to this!

I only hope that somewhere out there, another Bert McGee is waiting to take over the helm at Hillsborough and guide us back through the stormy waters of the championship back to the treasure island of the prem! This time though, hopefully the new Bert Mcgee will not get us established in the prem and then hand us over to some jumped up berk with delusions of grandeur!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Minton said:

O'Donnell and Donnelly were on £20k+, as was Carbone, Di Canio, Hinchcliffe, Degryse and pretty much anyone we signed was above the £10k line. We were paying players more in 1998 than we are now, so I think uncle Dave does have something to answer for. 

Were we?

This is our total wages costs from the accounts year ending May 2000:

image.png.8bc3a17bfece5b3ddfe95be1f7df2076.png

So a wage bill of £14.3M for the entire 222 staff.

Compare that with the reported £42M wage bill for the 2017-18 season.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday-wage-bill-championship-17904235

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, Nero said:

I don't 'know'.

I disagree.

Always thought he was a decent player remember him having a really good game against Man Utd

I have no idea if cared or swung the lead.  Only he does. 

4 hours ago, bobness said:

Hands up who else got "Jonk 4" on the back of their shirt, because it offered "the best" price per letter "value".

Thanks OP for triggering my PTSD

:duntmatter:

Not only that but the same season there was a bit of confusion when the new kits were released over which was the away kit and which was the 2nd keepers kit. I ended up spunking out the best part of £50 quid for a long sleeved keepers shirt with Jonk 4 on the back! Never did dare wear it at Hillsborough once I'd seen Pavel wearing it. 😆

• Haha 2

I don’t have an issue with us spending money. More how we spent it. We tended to go for a slightly cheaper option than the main target and ended up with an average team. For example 6m for De Bilde and Sibon rather than 6m for Robbie Keane who went to Coventry. 

Jonk should’ve been good on paper and had one or two good games but he sacked it off in div 1. 

The likes of Leeds, Coventry, Leicester et al all generally spent more than us and we all ended up in the same place. Div 1 with money issues. 

Everton used to circle the drain with us and Coventry and spent well and had a decent stable manager in Moyes and they are on a different level now. 

6 hours ago, Minton said:

How dare uncle Dave bring in players on big wages that kept us competitive in the top division of English football, allowed us fans to watch international players and pay £20 for the privilege of it.😁😁

While nowadays we have players on similar wages sat in the stands never playing or injured and we pay £35-40 for it.

8 hours ago, George said:

Yep. Gambled it all away and then fizzed off. ********. 

Smug snide snivelling grovelling snout in the trough self aggrandising ******** at that.

Take it you're not a fan then? lol

10 minutes ago, room0035 said:

How dare uncle Dave bring in players on big wages that kept us competitive in the top division of English football, allowed us fans to watch international players and pay £20 for the privilege of it.😁😁

While nowadays we have players on similar wages sat in the stands never playing or injured and we pay £35-40 for it.

Kept us competitive? Relegation to League 1 (twice), £28m of debt and administration...

Edited by Minton