11 minutes ago, Ever the pessimist said:

Definitely - average wage now I thought was about £25k

Average Salary and Wage in the UK

Average Salary in the UK (2021)

£29,600 per year

£1,950 per month

Edited by Ray Von shabba
  • Thanks 1

Wim Jonk is not the worst player or signing we ever made.
I remember in the Premier League he was an ok player but you never got the sense he would dig deep when we were defending a 1-1 with 10 minutes left.

He did become a bit of a poster boy at the time for expensive foreign signings that didn't work out and resulted in relegation.

Out of the expensive signings we have made I reckon only about 20% of most have come off. Probably bigger reason we have underachieved last 25 years now.

1 hour ago, Manwë said:

Was it Richards or was it that the game changed?

I remember Shearer getting £3k a week when he signed for Blackburn and wondered what anyone could do with that kind of money.  Cameron Dawson earns three times what Shearer was earning.

Sky money is like a chav winning the lottery, it's blown away without thought 

O'Donnell and Donnelly were on £20k+, as was Carbone, Di Canio, Hinchcliffe, Degryse and pretty much anyone we signed was above the £10k line. We were paying players more in 1998 than we are now, so I think uncle Dave does have something to answer for. 

Edited by Minton
  • Like 1

I bumped into him at the Hilton hotel one Sunday lunchtime he was with his family. I asked him if he was gutted that he was injured and couldn't play...he looked at me like I was an alien and said " I get paid my appearance money whether I play or not " At the time I had no idea how much that was and only found out later. It was at that point I think the penny dropped about what motivates the top players. 

1 hour ago, Bearwood Owl1 said:

I remember being really pleased when Jonk signed. He'd had an excellent World Cup in 98. Top player it seemed. 

Superb player and scored a superb Free Kick at Bellend Road against them scruff for Feyenoord or PSV 

Them we signed him and he was gash

1 hour ago, Nero said:

From Wikipedia

'For the 1998–99 season, Jonk went to join Sheffield Wednesday for a fee of £2.5 million, where he was a regular starter for the relegation-threatened side.[14] Apparently, his once-impressive performances for both club and country had gone and he was frequently injured, which caused the Wednesday fans to voice dissent about a clause in his contract which stipulated that he would automatically receive £7,500 per game which he would miss through injury.[15] At the beginning of the 2000–01 season, he announced his retirement from the game.'

I think there is a fair argument that our long slow decline actually started in the madness of the contracts being dished out to players such as Jonk at this time. We have never been back to the premiership since Dave Richards shocking and irresponsible gambles on players who didn't care and managers who didn't have it in em.

How do you know he didn't care?

How can you tell a genuine injury from a didn't care?

1 hour ago, Manwë said:

Was it Richards or was it that the game changed?

I remember Shearer getting £3k a week when he signed for Blackburn and wondered what anyone could do with that kind of money.  Cameron Dawson earns three times what Shearer was earning.

Sky money is like a chav winning the lottery, it's blown away without thought 

Not saying I disagree, but inflation and the cost for a good standard of living has soared since the mid 90s

One of the most disappointing signings for me. Thought we had made it when we signed Jonk, a top class player signing for us. Every week expected him to show some class etc and each week did nothing. Total deflation, on a par with the Blondeau lad, he looked like he had never kicked a ball.

50 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Wim Jonk is not the worst player or signing we ever made.
I remember in the Premier League he was an ok player but you never got the sense he would dig deep when we were defending a 1-1 with 10 minutes left.

He did become a bit of a poster boy at the time for expensive foreign signings that didn't work out and resulted in relegation.

Out of the expensive signings we have made I reckon only about 20% of most have come off. Probably bigger reason we have underachieved last 25 years now.

I make you right.

I reckon it's because when we spend big we more often that not buy a "name" rather than the player with the attributes we needed at the time

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gob_Bluth said:

I make you right.

I reckon it's because when we spend big we more often that not buy a "name" rather than the player with the attributes we needed at the time

What really grips my poo is that we got rid of Jim Magilton to make room. Much more suitable player who we could have paired with someone decent.

I always rated Jim Magilton back to his Oxford days.