The Wim Jonk Injury Clause

From Wikipedia

'For the 1998–99 season, Jonk went to join Sheffield Wednesday for a fee of £2.5 million, where he was a regular starter for the relegation-threatened side.[14] Apparently, his once-impressive performances for both club and country had gone and he was frequently injured, which caused the Wednesday fans to voice dissent about a clause in his contract which stipulated that he would automatically receive £7,500 per game which he would miss through injury.[15] At the beginning of the 2000–01 season, he announced his retirement from the game.'

I think there is a fair argument that our long slow decline actually started in the madness of the contracts being dished out to players such as Jonk at this time. We have never been back to the premiership since Dave Richards shocking and irresponsible gambles on players who didn't care and managers who didn't have it in em.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Was it Richards or was it that the game changed?

I remember Shearer getting £3k a week when he signed for Blackburn and wondered what anyone could do with that kind of money.  Cameron Dawson earns three times what Shearer was earning.

Sky money is like a chav winning the lottery, it's blown away without thought 

• Like 2

Just now, Tea Baggins said:

See this depends on the clause. It could be seen as a good thing.

Say he was on £15k a week.... but when he was injured and couldn't play, he only got £7,500.

Surely that's good?

I think it was more that most players got a basic , appearance bonus and win bonus and he wanted to get paid if he wasn't playing.

Dolling out silly contracts was the only way we could attract players of that stature but spanking money on them meant we had fizz all to spend on the rest of the squad so whilst you had a recently worked class player like Jonk he was lined up with Danny Sonner. We would have been far better off with Jim Magilton and another premiership standard player alongside him but we went and chased the big name.

Just now, Ever the pessimist said:

Whilst you are right, some of the contracts given to players who then had little to no re-sale value were a key part of our decline, I must admit to being delighted when we signed Jonk. 

Yes I was too. But I came to realise after a while that he didn't really care what happened, he was a mercenary - not his fault really - he just wasn't at the right time in his career to want to play i a relegation side or a Championship side.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, George said:

Yep. Gambled it all away and then fizzed off. ********. 

Smug snide snivelling grovelling snout in the trough self aggrandising ******** at that.

To be clear I am referring to Richards, not Jonk who was just doing his best for himself and hi family in getting the best deal available.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Bearwood Owl1 said:

I remember being really pleased when Jonk signed. He'd had an excellent World Cup in 98. Top player it seemed. 

That pass for Bergkamp in Marseille was something else. Everyone remembers Bergkamp's wonderful control and finish but it was Jonk who put the pass over IIRC.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tea Baggins said:

See this depends on the clause. It could be seen as a good thing.

Say he was on £15k a week.... but when he was injured and couldn't play, he only got £7,500.

Surely that's good?

From what I remember the £7,500 was extra.

So in your scenario he would earn £22,500 if he was injured!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, George said:

That pass for Bergkamp in Marseille was something else. Everyone remembers Bergkamp's wonderful control and finish but it was Jonk who put the pass over IIRC.

Nope. I tell a lie, it was one of the de Boer brothers.

3 minutes ago, Nero said:

image.png.d59609b1746d82e7454b597993caa9de.png

He signed when contracts really started to get silly. Some interesting stats in here! Difference between Prem and First Div is staggering

I don't know about the other columns but column A is well off. 

• Like 4

Signed when the decent foreign players were starting to come over and were still seen as a novelty.

If he'd have signed for a decent team in the ascendancy at the time like Arsenal or Chelsea he'd have looked amazing with the decent players around him.

As it was he signed fous, who were on the decline, although none of us knew how bad it was actually gonna get

12 minutes ago, George said:

Nope. I tell a lie, it was one of the de Boer brothers.

It’s certainly not an exaggeration to say that:

a) That is a very good goal

b) The commentator enjoyed it very much

c) The commentator clearly knew the name of the scorer

• Like 1