Players Celebrating and Covid

fudge27

13 minutes ago, fudge27 said:

I think it's the perception of it and the excuses trotted out over something like oh it's hard to contain your excitement, when there's people who csnt see their elderly relatives or parents or kids cos of the illness. 

Football has been granted a huge dispensation to Continue and they go off like the public should be on bended knee thanking them. 

Guardiola lost his mum to the virus, he and others in the game know what problems COVID is causing. They are not immune to the affects.

I'd be more concerned by people who can't understand that players will instinctively celebrate goals and the fact that this kind of contact makes no difference given they have spent 90 minutes running around in close contact with each other. If you don't want to see footballers who are tested twice weekly celebrate goals then why are you watching it anyway? Take any little enjoyment left in it away and it becomes pointless. 

10 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

It's because it's all about mitigating the risk. It's like saying "we're either safe to go to ASDA or we're not" of course there is no guarantee of safety but it needs to open or we will starve. 

So avoiding celebrations/handshakes etc are something that will decrease the risk of transmission but won't affect the game.

In addition footballers are role models and therefore it's helpful if they follow the same rules as they rest of us. 

But they don't follow the same rules as the rest of us, otherwise they wouldn't be playing football during the current lockdown.

When you've been in close contact with your teammates all week during training, as well as with members of the opposition team during the game, high-fiving a member of your own team is really no more risky, is it?

In the grand scheme of things, footballers celebrating a goal is not where this virus is being spread.

Just now, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

But they don't follow the same rules as the rest of us, otherwise they wouldn't be playing football during the current lockdown.

When you've been in close contact with your teammates all week during training, as well as with members of the opposition team during the game, high-fiving a member of your own team is really no more risky, is it?

In the grand scheme of things, footballers celebrating a goal is not where this virus is being spread.

Well it's their work, and they can't work from home so they do follow the rules as the rest of us.

I am in close contact with my workmates, it doesn't mean I can start touching them. If I did start touching them, yeh it would heighten the risk of transmission and it's the same in footballers too.

In the grand scheme of things, we all have to make little changes to lower the spread, football isn't any different. 

Just now, Ellis Rimmer said:

Well it's their work, and they can't work from home so they do follow the rules as the rest of us.

I am in close contact with my workmates, it doesn't mean I can start touching them. If I did start touching them, yeh it would heighten the risk of transmission and it's the same in footballers too.

In the grand scheme of things, we all have to make little changes to lower the spread, football isn't any different. 

They're in close physical contact with their teammates and opposition players through the act of playing football.

If high-fiving a teammate is really so risky , then the whole game needs to be scrapped, as there are far more risky physical interactions throughout the course of a game than during the few seconds after a goal.

3 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

They're in close physical contact with their teammates and opposition players through the act of playing football.

If high-fiving a teammate is really so risky , then the whole game needs to be scrapped, as there are far more risky physical interactions throughout the course of a game than during the few seconds after a goal.

You wouldn't condone shaking all your work colleagues hands, why is football different?

Just because playing football increases risk doesn't mean everything should go out of the window.

3 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

You wouldn't condone shaking all your work colleagues hands, why is football different?

Just because playing football increases risk doesn't mean everything should go out of the window.

Because football is different - they're forced into a situation where they're in close physical contact with their teammates all week during training, and then with their opponents for much of each game they play.

Why they should suddenly have to keep their distance when they score a goal, I have no idea. It's not as if the virus only becomes active in the moments after the ball hits the net!

As I've said, if, after all the testing they go through, high-fiving your teammate is unsafe, then so is closely marking an opponent from a corner.

If that's the case, call the whole thing off.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Because my colleague hasn't been tested twice a week every week! 

18 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Because my colleague hasn't been tested twice a week every week! 

I assume you also don't condone your colleagues repeatedly pressing themselves against your back, grabbing hold of your arms to prevent you from moving, and panting and sweating all over you from close quarters?

Well, except that Janine from accounts, of course.

:duntmatter:

I wonder why...

9 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I assume you also don't condone your colleagues repeatedly pressing themselves against your back, grabbing hold of your arms to prevent you from moving, and panting and sweating all over you from close quarters?

Well, except that Janine from accounts, of course.

:duntmatter:

I wonder why...

Quite.

Who is watching professional football, seeing them tackle each other, pull shirts, mark closely and breathe on each other at set pieces, then thinking 'yeah but they shouldn't be high fiving and celebrating a goal with each other, if they can do that, why can't I hug my nan?'

Just another thing to express outrage at without any real justification. 

39 minutes ago, Roscoe P. Coltrane said:

Just an observation 

Watched dippers v manure 

Players spitting everywhere 

Then same players rolling around in it ..

I've never understood the spitting or why anyone does it really.

I've gone my whole life without needing to unless maybe exercising with a bad cold which isn't going to be frequent.

If my aunt was here still she'd get it sorted out though. She was a big tennis fan and wrote letters complaining about Ivanisevic spitting on court and the next match he didn't do it once.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Quite.

Who is watching professional football, seeing them tackle each other, pull shirts, mark closely and breathe on each other at set pieces, then thinking 'yeah but they shouldn't be high fiving and celebrating a goal with each other, if they can do that, why can't I hug my nan?'

Just another thing to express outrage at without any real justification. 

And largely instigated by a government minister, of course.

Now quite why he might want to highlight this peripheral issue rather than the bigger picture of his government's overall covid response, we can only speculate, of course.

🤨

I don’t read newspapers etc, so not seen what the media are saying about celebrating. 

I’m going to guess that the media are acting sanctimonious about it?  Whilst being happy to  watch and report on football to sell papers? 

I bet people who have an issue with celebrating therefore don’t watch 1 second of football ?   👀

Football is either safe or it isn’t as far as I can see... I don’t doubt that most footballers are up their own bums, and most will want to play - but I think people should be mad at the TV companies, government and League owners instead. 

Now compare celebrating ‘in the moment’ with Celtic’s ridiculous trip to Dubai and that’s where you can blame the players - who should have refused to go and asked ‘why are we doing this???’ 

Footballers are being slated for celebrating a goal, yet it’s perfectly acceptable for rugby players to ruck, maul and scrum for 80 minutes.

Why is that? Why isn’t there any mention whatsoever being made by TV news celebrities or politicians regarding what happens during a game of rugby. If hugging a team mate once, twice, perhaps even three or four times at most during a game is far worse than what goes on during a game of Rugby then I’d love to see their scientific evidence. 

As usual, football and footballers will always be the first ones that are criticised because they earn the most. 

• Like 1

Football is ridiculous without fans anyway , I don't know why everyone involved is pretending it isn't. It simply isn't the same game.

Now the game is being played withy players and coaches going down like flies; apparently Steve Cotterill, Shrewsbury boss, has been in intensive care and is now watching games from his hospital bed - are we just taking this as part and parcel of the game here?

Aston Villa are 3 games behind other teams I think, in league 1 teams have played anything between 18 and 24 games due to postponements. 

Half your average squad is injured or isolated , I think Liverpool played Fabinho and Henderson as centre backs against Man Utd for example

It really is a complete farce , but because it's football - the great untouchable - it carries on regardless.

As for Euro 2020 or 2021 , whatever we have branded it as..what is the point, seriously? tournaments like that are only successes due to the huge coming together of supporters in cities, fan parks and stadiums.

Anyway, until a player, coach, official or general member of club staff dies, football will continue. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bannofan said:

Football is ridiculous without fans anyway , I don't know why everyone involved is pretending it isn't. It simply isn't the same game.

Now the game is being played withy players and coaches going down like flies; apparently Steve Cotterill, Shrewsbury boss, has been in intensive care and is now watching games from his hospital bed - are we just taking this as part and parcel of the game here?

Aston Villa are 3 games behind other teams I think, in league 1 teams have played anything between 18 and 24 games due to postponements. 

Half your average squad is injured or isolated , I think Liverpool played Fabinho and Henderson as centre backs against Man Utd for example

It really is a complete farce , but because it's football - the great untouchable - it carries on regardless.

As for Euro 2020 or 2021 , whatever we have branded it as..what is the point, seriously? tournaments like that are only successes due to the huge coming together of supporters in cities, fan parks and stadiums.

Anyway, until a player, coach, official or general member of club staff dies, football will continue. 

But if they'd just stop high-fiving after a goal...

🙄

4 hours ago, Bannofan said:

Yet judging by your posts you are still watching and paying an interest in football, not just Wednesday but football in general.

Whether football should be continuing is a debate that can be shown to have positive and negative aspects from both sides of the fence but that different from the point of this thread which is about whether celebrations should be banned.