Wow Wayne Rooneys Derby !

2 hours ago, Manwë said:

Not putting players on furlough has cost each club £millions.

I still don't understand why it wasn't done. 

Over the Summer we paid £500k for Patterson.

If we’d have done that and then used tax payers money to furlough the players I’d have been f**king annoyed about it.

If clubs want access to furlough payments in order to pay players, then there should be an absolute freeze on all player recruitment.

• Like 5

Just now, TrickyTrev said:

Over the Summer we paid £500k for Patterson.

If we’d have done that and then used tax payers money to furlough the players I’d have been f**king annoyed about it.

If clubs want access to furlough payments in order to pay players, then there should be an absolute freeze on all player recruitment.

Agree with most of that.  

Football is a circus detached from the real world.

But if a business put their staff on furlough, they're entitled to do so, regardless of other spending. The Govt created the scheme to save businesses, and by default, employees present and in future.  Paterson was signed when football was restarted.

Football is so detached that they put minimum wage Brenda and Bob in the office on furlough, but not millionaire footballers.  How can they not be having financial difficulty now?

People talk of a reset, I really hope it happens but I'm not holding my breath.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Manwë said:

Agree with most of that.  

Football is a circus detached from the real world.

But if a business put their staff on furlough, they're entitled to do so, regardless of other spending. The Govt created the scheme to save businesses, and by default, employees present and in future.  Paterson was signed when football was restarted.

Football is so detached that they put minimum wage Brenda and Bob in the office on furlough, but not millionaire footballers.  How can they not be having financial difficulty now?

People talk of a reset, I really hope it happens but I'm not holding my breath.

Most league one and two clubs had players on furlough. 

The finances involved in the Premier League and the championship and the amount players earn didn't really make it feasible or morally right to put the players on furlough.

Also If they were on furlough then I believe that impacts there ability to play and train also.

Guest Mcguigan
3 hours ago, Manwë said:

Not putting players on furlough has cost each club £millions.

I still don't understand why it wasn't done. 

Chansiri would have topped up the remaining wages anyhow so it was pointless putting them on furlough.

Rhodes gross wage £100k a month (est). Government pays maximum £2.5k, Chansiri picks up the remaining £97.5k. Whats the point.

If you're on 3k a month and furloughed without employee support, it will likely hit you for a couple a hundred quid a month. It would of hit JR for £97.5K

Just now, Mcguigan said:

Chansiri would have topped up the remaining wages anyhow so it was pointless putting them on furlough.

Rhodes gross wage £100k a month (est). Government pays maximum £2.5k, Chansiri picks up the remaining £97.5k. Whats the point.

If you're on 3k a month and furloughed without employee support, it will likely hit you for a couple a hundred quid a month. It would of hit JR for £97.5K

Chansiri would be under no obligation to top up.

Agree if he's going to top up then it's pointless putting them on furlough.

3 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Also If they were on furlough then I believe that impacts there ability to play and train also.

Yes, if an employee is asked to work while on furlough, they are asked to report to hmrc..or some other gov department.

There are government agency's being set up now to investigate possible furlough payments / fraud.

Players at some clubs were asked to take pay cuts..or wages deferred.

It's not known yet how many agreed.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Good job our chairman is bailing us out then.

Its a bit like me taking your car out for a drive and smashing it into a tree.

After leaving you without a car for two months I finally manage to get it fix and back to you and then telling you that you should be thanking me for bailing you out lol

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, poite said:

After leaving you without a car for two months I finally manage to get it fix and back to you and then telling you that you should be thanking me for bailing you out lol

Not really, it's his car..he bought and paid for it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Standidno said:

Let’s not be too shocked if we find ourselves in this position soon.

And many others... now they know that there will be no income from supporters in the stadium this season

I wonder how many clubs will be forced to take the sky..... sorry premier League loan, despite not wanting to

Desperate times ahead

14 minutes ago, poite said:

The thing is though is its all irrelevant what he has done in the past in this instance. Because had we been the best run club in the country, we would still need him to put his hand in his pocket in these times to keep the club afloat.

2 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

Happy to stand corrected, but I'm sure there was no formal training until the restart dates was confirmed, and there was a few weeks notice.

I work in science, we furloughed staff.  They did not work but they were able to improve themselves in the time by studying at home, if they wanted to.  We recommended it, but they didn't have to.   Just because they were furloughed doesn't mean their minds and bodies were switched off.

Footballers at home, alone or with their families should have no issues keeping fit during the initial lockdown, it's their profession.

• Like 2