Firstly - it will be cold! make sure you're prepared for that

Got one of the longest shopping streets in the world - lots of bars/restaurants

Royal Palace - you can literally wander right up and peer through the windows

Tivoli Gardens likely to be shut that time of year but otherwise have a wander

Christiana is a must imo - it's a hippie community that lives more or less by its own rules - well worth a visit -https://theculturetrip.com/europe/denmark/copenhagen/articles/christiania-13-things-to-know-about-copenhagens-hippie-free-town/

Walk - everywhere!

Like most cities there is way more than just the tourist spots and centre. Have a walk into the districts and mingle with the locals going about their everyday business. Have a coffee/beer at any number of the cafes and watch the world go by 

Go to the harbour area - nearby is quite chic with the houseboats and waterfront bars/cafes and apartments - but it's a nice place to spend some time

Finally it may seem a little off the wall for a trip to Copenhagen but i would definitely take a train to Malmo across the Oresund Bridge.

In Malmo you can visit the city itself (it's small and contained) A visit to Lila Torg - an outdoor town square with its outdoor ice rink surrounded by the bars/cafes. They have external seating with reindeer skins and blankets to help keep you comfortable - or if not feeling that hardy then you can always go inside.

You can go to the coast - it is the Baltic coast and VERY cold with the icy wind blowing in from the sea. You'll also see the strange building called the Twisted Torso. Malmo is small so everything is in walking distance

But even further off the wall i'd recommend getting a train from Malmo to Ystaad - it's like a small town stuck in the 1500's with it's beautiful buildings. There isn't a great deal there - a couple of restaurants, a pizzeria and a few shops but it's worth it just for the stunning train journey through the countryside along the coast - likely to be very snowy with the contrast of the herds of reindeer moving through the country

Ystaad has latterly become famous for the Swedish detective series Wallander - so it can have a little of a more contrived feel as it caters for the fans who visit to follow in the footsteps of the series - but it's still very traditional

Edited by scram
  • Like 3

Been to Copenhagen many times but its always work so haven't had much time to look around.

One thing I would advise is...dont waste your time with the little mermaid....little being the understatement

oh and take plenty of money

• Like 1

My brother used to live there.

3 nights is probably enough time to see everything. It's a good place to go for a short break, it kind of had the feel of a medium sized German city which isn't a bad thing (unless you don't like medium sized German cities).

Hot dog vendors everywhere from what I remember.

• Like 1

I'm currently based in CPH!

Scram has already given a very good summary. All I can add is that Vesterbro and Nørrebro are probably your best neighborhoods for food and bars. The meat packing district 5 mins walk from Dybbølsbro station is usually pretty lively at the weekends with the locals, with plenty of places to eat and booze. Mikkeller are a craft ale brewery that owns a number of great bars around town with a wide selection. Maybe check out 'Warpigs' in the meat packing? Gammel Strand metro station is right in the heart of the 'old town', next to the parliament building, and there are a load of nice bars around here too. 

With regards to sites, other than those mentioned e.g. Little Mermaid, maybe check out Kastellet (the old city fortress), Amalienborg (where the Queen lives), Rosenborg castle and the many museums (Glyptotek is pretty decent). Strøget is the main shopping street. Around Christianshavn it's pretty nice with the canals, and you can check this area out on your way to Christiania, which is an interesting place to say the least! 

In December there will be loads of Christmas markets around Nyhavn (the famous colourful harbour), so definitely check that out for some festivity. 

The transport system here is class. Very comprehensive, and as a former Londoner, pretty cheap. If the weather isn't too horrific you can always hire a Donkey Republic bike via the app (Danish equivalent of Boris bikes), as cycling is probably the easiest way to get around the city. All the roads have separate cycle lanes so it's very safe and very much part of the culture here. 

Anything here that involves people e.g. restaurants, cafes, bars is quite pricey, so just be prepared for that. But booze in the supermarkets is surprisingly affordable, so fill your boots for the hotel. 

I've not managed to get to an FC Copenhagen game yet due to covid, but maybe check that out if you have spare time?

Give me a shout if you need any more info at all and hope you have a class visit. December is a great time to visit but bring plenty of layers! 

• Like 1

Forgot to add, our Italian friend runs MaMeMi pizza restaurant in Vesterbro. Probs one of the best pizza restaurants in town. Check it out for authentic roman style pizza 

https://www.google.com/search?q=mamemi+pizza&oq=mamemi+pi&aqs=chrome.0.0i355j46i175i199j69i57j0i22i30l3j69i60l2.3582j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Also, if you don't mind the 30 mins walk from Christianshavn metro (there is also a bus, see google maps), then id recommend CopenHill- a waste disposal plant that in true Danish style has been converted into a ski slope. You can get the lift to the top for free for an awesome view of the city and the Oresund bridge over to Sweden.

image.png.52a6c587fd9bf05f5b2cd943b5a711a3.png

• Like 1

My overarching impressions from a work trip:

• It's ******** freezing
  • 'en ol tak' is all you need to know in Danish. But don't say it much cos it's bloody expensive
  • The Little Mermaid is poo. Imagine a small statue of a mermaid, quite far away. You've now completed the Little Mermaid experience. There were crowds of people queueing up to see this, and the universal sentiment was 'hmmm'. 
  • Kastellet is a pretty cool star fort that you can wander round 
  • Really cold
  • There's some nice seafood restaurants and bars on Nyhavn
  • Be careful at the airport train station because the other platform is non-stop to Sweden
  • You could walk everywhere like Scram said, the public transport is cheap and gets you round everywhere especially if your work paid for a hotel in the more stabby and prostitute bit of town
  • The European Environment Agency live on Kongen Nytorv, which supposedly is a very nice plaza but was covered in scaffolding when I was there. 
  • Cold
  • Try not to fly the same day some psychotic German deliberately smashes a plane into the Alps because they will up security at the airport as if that's going to make any ******** difference

The last point may be a bit niche. 

• Haha 1

Kongens is now clear of scaffolding now that the metro line extension is complete, and yes is pretty nice with more bougie shops and just near Nyhavn. 

I should also mention that Danes have very little concept of customer service- probably due to the fact they are paid £15 an hour but also because their society is quite a closed one. You should be fine in most restaurants as it’s where most expats work, but just take it in your stride. Danes on the whole are friendly but can be very hard work to break down and get to know.

Edited by owls maniac

Really appreciate the info, will do more in-depth research into all the suggestions closer to the time, once we know we’ll be allowed to go.

Owlstalk at its best 👍🏿

On 18/02/2021 at 02:18, southportdc said:

My overarching impressions from a work trip:

• It's ******** freezing
  • 'en ol tak' is all you need to know in Danish. But don't say it much cos it's bloody expensive
  • The Little Mermaid is poo. Imagine a small statue of a mermaid, quite far away. You've now completed the Little Mermaid experience. There were crowds of people queueing up to see this, and the universal sentiment was 'hmmm'. 
  • Kastellet is a pretty cool star fort that you can wander round 
  • Really cold
  • There's some nice seafood restaurants and bars on Nyhavn
  • Be careful at the airport train station because the other platform is non-stop to Sweden
  • You could walk everywhere like Scram said, the public transport is cheap and gets you round everywhere especially if your work paid for a hotel in the more stabby and prostitute bit of town
  • The European Environment Agency live on Kongen Nytorv, which supposedly is a very nice plaza but was covered in scaffolding when I was there. 
  • Cold
  • Try not to fly the same day some psychotic German deliberately smashes a plane into the Alps because they will up security at the airport as if that's going to make any ******** difference

The last point may be a bit niche. 

The cold really does need emphasising, I went to Malmo without appropriate clothing and I was so cold I had to buy something, ended up paying about £40 for a basic fleece, was gutted.

I forgot to mention in my earlier post... I had an issue at a supermarket where we were stopping... first day there, paid for a small amount of shopping (milk, fresh bread, etc) with a 500kr note, shopping came to maybe about 80kr... cashier chatted to me in pretty flawless English whilst scanning stuff then gave me no change. When I asked about it she said that the shop policy was to not give change. I was pretty incredulous and tried to argue with her but all of sudden she couldn't understand English... I ended up ringing a Danish mate who spoke to her on the phone, presumably gave her an earful and all of a sudden I got my change!

Also got stung for a bottle of water in a restaurant on the first evening... ordered drinks with a meal and was asked if we'd also like some water, obviously said yes... turned out whilst my beer cost about what I'd expected (based upon being told alcohol in restaurants wasn't cheap) the bottle of water was more expensive than my main course so the waiter had proper stitched me up!

I think I spent the rest of the holiday avoiding interacting with locals as they all treated me like I'd got 'mug' tattooed on my forehead.