FA Cup round 4 v Everton!

18 hours ago, Pablo Bonvin said:

Have we ever beaten Everton?

Don't know if someone has already done it, but the last time we won was the 5th of April 1999 in the League 1-2. We've played them 4 times since drawing 1 and losing 3, the scores were 0-2 league, 1-1 league (Away), 0-3 League Cup and 0-2 League Cup. Between the 28th of August 1991 and 25th of November 1995 we were undefeated in 9, winning 7. Between the 25th of August 1962 and 28th of January 1990 we won 2 out of 39 games haha losing most of them. We played them 6 times in 1988, winning 1-0 and drawing 1-1(Home) in the league and drawing 1-1 in the FA Cup 3 times and losing 0-5(all within January.) Also the last time we won them in the FA Cup was in 1954 after playing them 9 times since then. https://www.11v11.com/teams/sheffield-wednesday/tab/opposingTeams/opposition/Everton/                     

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, thanks to all your responses re the myriad of times we've beaten the Toffees. They just seemed to be one of those teams we never beat, like Shrewsbury, but it seems that was only in my mind.

I still won't be lumping on unless we spring some major surprises during whats left of the transfer window...

• Thanks 1

On 12/01/2021 at 13:17, Incognito Owl said:

Don't know if someone has already done it, but the last time we won was the 5th of April 1999 in the League 1-2. We've played them 4 times since drawing 1 and losing 3, the scores were 0-2 league, 1-1 league (Away), 0-3 League Cup and 0-2 League Cup. Between the 28th of August 1991 and 25th of November 1995 we were undefeated in 9, winning 7. Between the 25th of August 1962 and 28th of January 1990 we won 2 out of 39 games haha losing most of them. We played them 6 times in 1988, winning 1-0 and drawing 1-1(Home) in the league and drawing 1-1 in the FA Cup 3 times and losing 0-5(all within January.) Also the last time we won them in the FA Cup was in 1954 after playing them 9 times since then. https://www.11v11.com/teams/sheffield-wednesday/tab/opposingTeams/opposition/Everton/                     

Wow that looks like a data code with all those numbers!

• Haha 2

Guest Bulgaria

The lack of posts regarding this game are a sad state of affairs in my opinion.

Imagine a few years ago our fan base would be so excited about playing Everton away in the cup, now it's become ( to many) just a interference. 

I wonder if ever again our younger fans will experience an away F.A cup tie against higher opposition and actually get excited by it?

The cups have brought me so many amazing memories supporting the owls and I find it incredibly sad that the younger generation will never experience that.

For the record, in my top ten games are...

91 cup final.

91 cup quarters v coventry.

83 Burnley quarter final.

Not sure what year but a cup win against Stoke, 84 maybe?

84 Liverpool league cup 2-2.

I for one will be watching the game like an excitable teenager.

2 minutes ago, Bulgaria said:

Imagine a few years ago our fan base would be so excited about playing Everton away in the cup, now it's become ( to many) just a interference. 

I wonder if ever again our younger fans will experience an away F.A cup tie against higher opposition and actually get excited by it?

The cups have brought me so many amazing memories supporting the owls and I find it incredibly sad that the younger generation will never experience that.

91 cup final.

Agree, cup games used to be a real highlight and I recall some truly memorable times in the early 90s, in particular..

But, since football has been on TV every day (it seems) the cups have slowly been devalued to such a point that they are more or less reserve team competitions (until the latter stages).

At least circumstances being as the are, both team likely to field strong teams this Sunday, but many fans priced out by the FA's TV deal with BT, meaning I have to shell out £25 for a month pass just to watch this one game. I'm not doing that.

Hope it's a good game and we give it a go, no point sitting back and everyone comes through unscathed for the upcoming league matches, which in today's day and age are more important.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bulgaria said:

91 cup final.

Too right. The FA cup is still the best cup competition in the world in my eyes. Like you say, so many brilliant cup nights as a supporter. What about that 4-4 draw with Chelsea in the league cup in '85? That was mental!

I'm looking forward to this one. 

Guest Bulgaria
1 hour ago, Imre Varadi's Conker said:

Too right. The FA cup is still the best cup competition in the world in my eyes. Like you say, so many brilliant cup nights as a supporter. What about that 4-4 draw with Chelsea in the league cup in '85? That was mental!

I'm looking forward to this one. 

Yes, what a cracker that was.... Came away from that game dejected though as I knew we had blown it, hence it not being in my top 10.

I'm looking forward to it, could be interesting, both clubs in similar situations, albeit very different league positions.

Both teams haven't played for a bit - Everton last played on Jan 12th

Both teams have games in hand on those above them

Both teams have a busy fixture list over the next couple of weeks

Everton are battling for their best league position in years, they're 8pts off top with 2 games in hand, whilst we are battling the drop.

I hope they underestimate us, concentrate on the league and play the reserves, if they do and we play a strong team, I think we can grind out a 1-0 win.

• Like 2

The atmosphere at Hillsborough in the first of the 1988 3rd games was one of the best I remember. Colin West scored with fourteen minutes to go, the old girl was bouncing for exactly nine minutes. Inevitably Everton equalised with five mins to go -Peter Reid. Didn't get to either of the Goodison replays but was glued to the radio commentaries. like everyone I went to Hillsborough for the 3rd replay with so much optimism. Well that turned out well; I can remember Graham Sharpe being interviewed at the end of the game and saying 'Class told in the end', what a let-down and possibly marked the start of the end of the Wilkinson era at S6 as manager.

• Love 1