When is a player 'ready'?

Just keep lad in the first team set up,training,matchday squad and play him if he proves himself in build up to games.

Do not like it when people say he needs to go on loan,to get games under his belt.

If you.are good enough ,you are old enough.

Far to many of our academy,U21s are sent out on loan and we never see them back in our first team squad.

Hope he becomes the first of many to breakthrough and continue his progress.

• Like 2

Just now, Jeffjohnsonmyhero said:

All this negativity towards Hunt is balls ,Keegan went to Liverpool he was built like Hunt ,He got him on weights to build him up .Became the legend he is ,Hunt just needs building up ,He is a good lad and a very very good player in the making ,Support him do not slate him.

Bill Shankly his manager got him on the weights 

23 minutes ago, Doctor Duran said:

Shaw is ready and should be given chance in our first team.  We need to continue him development with first team chances..  sure he will make mistakes but we now need to overlook these unless its the same mistakes.

He also had a loan spell out last season at Chesterfield.

If the coaching team feel he is ready, which i'm sure they do, then he should be in.

He is in and he’s in for a reason and it’s deserved 

I very much doubt we are in a position to develop a player in our first team and over look his mistakes that is exactly why we should use the loan market 

but like I said shaw is in the first team for a reason he’s better than what we have 

Few players back from fitness or signed....let’s not get caught up in the hype we can wait 6 months to a year and have a much more experienced shaw in our squad 

Guest Kagoshimaowl
1 hour ago, brian joicey said:

do you not think Keiran Lee would have been exactly the same stature at that age ???

Lee had talent, Hunt doesn’t.

Guest Kagoshimaowl
1 hour ago, Doctor Duran said:

how can you saw Hunt will never make it..

Guess Bannan at 20yr old wasn't much bigger.. 

Don’t rate the lad at all to be honest. He looks like a 15 year old who won a raffle to play.

Shaw is a midfield player who has played out of position for most of his games which show not only talent but commitment. I would keep all 3 defenders who played in and around the squad. Get then ready for the exodus in the summer.

Hunt and some of the other U23s need more playing time and a time out on loan may help them

2 hours ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

Shaw is ready and has the correct size for Championship football. Hunt is just lightweight and will never make it.

Shaw will burn out if he plays every game. It's too much at his age,. You could get away with it most seasons to some extent but 2 games a week is a stretch.

5 minutes ago, prowl said:

Shaw will burn out if he plays every game. It's too much at his age,. You could get away with it most seasons to some extent but 2 games a week is a stretch.

Depends partly on his position - centre backs you can get through a lot more games than in central midfield. Agree we should be playing him centre mid for 90 minutes every week, but don't think we will be doing that.

But to answer the question, when is a player ready. Normally it is when they are better than the blokes they are competing with for a place in the team. I think we've seen enough from Shaw to suggest he's more than good enough to be in our 18-man squad, and starting more often than not. Certainly would rather have Shaw in midfield than Paterson and think he would be a better bet than Pelupessy (who is a better purely defensive player, but still lacks quality on the ball).

1 hour ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

Lee had talent, Hunt doesn’t.

At the age Hunt is now, Lee was playing as a right-back for Oldham in League One, where he stayed until joining us at 24.

The Kieran Lee we all know and love didn't arrive fully-formed; he had to learn his trade and develop into a player capable of dominating in the Championship.

Who knows whether Hunt will show similar improvement, but it's a bit harsh to write him off as talentless at this early stage of his career.

• Like 4

Guest Kagoshimaowl
57 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

At the age Hunt is now, Lee was playing as a right-back for Oldham in League One, where he stayed until joining us at 24.

The Kieran Lee we all know and love didn't arrive fully-formed; he had to learn his trade and develop into a player capable of dominating in the Championship.

Who knows whether Hunt will show similar improvement, but it's a bit harsh to write him off as talentless at this early stage of his career.

Hope you’re right. It would be great if he develops but I just don’t see it.

Guest Kagoshimaowl
1 hour ago, prowl said:

I agree wholeheartedly 

4 hours ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

Shaw is ready and has the correct size for Championship football. Hunt is just lightweight and will never make it.

Is there nothing we can do for Hunt?

I'm sure we can adjust his diet and training routine in order for him to 'bulk up' and increase his strength, you see UFC fighters change size, weight all the time.

If he was built more like Kadeem Harris, surely that would help? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Absolutely spot on.

The lad has had very limited game time just to be written off.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

Don’t rate the lad at all to be honest. He looks like a 15 year old who won a raffle to play.

Don’t go telling them the truth on here they don’t like it. 

When Hunt gets released and fades into oblivion I’ll be reminding certain people on here how little they know about football and players.

Liam Shaw is ready right now. But as people say, he now needs to add consistency to his game which will come with experience. 

Alex Hunt wasn’t ready when he got his debut against Sunderland (I think). He looked like a rabbit in the headlight then and nothing has changed since. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

All true, but before joining us Lee was also voted Oldham's player of the season for two years. 

I don’t buy into this old football league cr*p of players not making it because they are to small or lightweight. Just look at Luka Modrić as prime example, still managed to win Golden Ball. 

Hunt needs games and he won't get them here. At least not in his favorite role and while Bannan is around. He must go out on loan to develop and help his career.