When is a player 'ready'?

When he is ready Players develop at different speeds. In the case of Shaw, we can stick him in now, but we should be aware that he probably won’t be able to show consistency. He was great on Saturday, but in one of the recent home games, he was lucky not to have been hooked at half time. As for Hunt, yes he needs to toughen up a bit, but I’m also a bit unsure about playing him in the same team as Bannan

• Thanks 1

You know he's ready for your team when he's performing better than others in the team.

If his performances dip, then treat him as such and take him out of the team and consider a loan move.  He's 19 and there's no better place for him than the pitch, first team, playing in matches that matter.  

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, waverley_owl said:

Saw a few comments on social media to say that Shaw isn't ready and that we need to stay grounded when talking about him and not get too excited. 

But my question is 'When do you know when a player is ready for the first team?'

In the case of Shaw, surely a goal, assist and MotM in his last three starts is enough to warrant his place in the first team. I mean he's done more in those last three games than Harris has done all season (I know they play different positions before anyone starts).

When did they know that Rooney was ready? Or Owen or... (insert another young footballer here). 

Plus, putting him back in the U23's isn't going to make him get any better. Playing regular first team football, and training with the first team will. 

Simply when they do it on a consistent basis.

He's not the finished article and you can't expect him to be, he's done a really good job filling in all over the pitch BUT they're some things he needs to iron out as expected. 

He has been caught out massively in the last two games and has been very very fortunate that they haven't cost us granted he's not a centre back but its basic stuff like losing your runner and getting caught under the ball, if Colin Kazim Richards scores that header he hit bar with (should have scored) and the poor clearance he made to the edge of the box before Harris' block you're sat saying he's cost us two goals. 
He needs game time and he's going to get that and hopefully he really is the prospect we think he is.

He needs regular game time and he's going to get that this season here, come end of the season we will know what we've got with him. He doesn't go back in with the 23's if he's not deemed at the level going into next season and with our recruitment i rather see him out on loan than sat on the bench or the 23's get him game time.

Only time will tell with Shaw.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, malek said:

This way of thinking gets me every time.

God forbid that anyone under 23, especially if he came through our own academy is ever ready for regular first team football.

Shaw proved that he got quality and can take good care of himself on the pitch. Would even go so far to say that he create difference out there rather than "just" holding his own. He will have some poor games as well, as did and will our best players as well.

While our talented players are "never ready" other clubs play less talented ones and sell them for big profit. We must change our way of thinking and start developing our young footballers, we have talented lot coming from our U-23 squad and in current climate with little funds available they could have role to play.

Well said that man. 👏🏼

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Lucas Joao's Tooth said:

Simply when they do it on a consistent basis.

He's not the finished article and you can't expect him to be, he's done a really good job filling in all over the pitch BUT they're some things he needs to iron out as expected. 

He has been caught out massively in the last two games and has been very very fortunate that they haven't cost us granted he's not a centre back but its basic stuff like losing your runner and getting caught under the ball, if Colin Kazim Richards scores that header he hit bar with (should have scored) and the poor clearance he made to the edge of the box before Harris' block you're sat saying he's cost us two goals. 
He needs game time and he's going to get that and hopefully he really is the prospect we think he is.

He needs regular game time and he's going to get that this season here, come end of the season we will know what we've got with him. He doesn't go back in with the 23's if he's not deemed at the level going into next season and with our recruitment i rather see him out on loan than sat on the bench or the 23's get him game time.

Only time will tell with Shaw.

Think this is bang on. 

There has to be an acceptance that youngsters will blow hot and cold, so dont get too excited when they have a few good games but the same way dont start berating them or writing them off when they have a few bad ones. 

'Ready' has many different forms, Shaw is ready in the sense of being in the squad and playing his part. Ready for being a regular first XI? That depends on consistency which is a big ask at his age. I think its actually ideal for him to be where he is now, potentially on the bench but if we have unavailability he plays, or comes off the bench. 

Obviously whilst ever hes on a good run he keeps the shirt. Just hope hes nurtured right so he can develop to his full potential, because raw ability he has a lot to like and hes made a very promising start  

• Love 1

19 minutes ago, malek said:

God forbid that anyone under 23, especially if he came through our own academy is ever ready for regular first team football.

Shaw proved that he got quality and can take good care of himself on the pitch. Would even go so far to say that he create difference out there rather than "just" holding his own. He will have some poor games as well, as did and will our best players as well.

While our talented players are "never ready" other clubs play less talented ones and sell them for big profit. We must change our way of thinking and start developing our young footballers, we have talented lot coming from our U-23 squad and in current climate with little funds available they could have role to play.

Depends on the context of 'Ready'. 

If they mean ready to be playing every game as starter, then its a big ask on a 19 year old kid when hes had no real senior football under his belt.

He will make mistakes (as he has a few recently), so he needs to be looked after and protected when a bad patch comes. 

He's obviously ready to play senior football and contribute to our team, hes proven that. Kid has ability.  

Good thing is, I think hes in a position that even if he didn't get in our first XI when everyone is fit.....we're never a club in the position of everyone being fit! More like everyone made of biscuits. 

So i'd like to think that gives him plenty of opportunity for game time whilst not relying on him to carry us to the end of the season and keep us up in a relegation battle at 19. 

• Like 1

If we can build our squad strong enough shaw would be an ideal loan signing to league one or lower championship

he has shown he’s good enough 

but we’ve seen a few mistakes in him ( not a Critism ) I’m highly impressed 

to become a first team regular hes now got to do it over a long period 

this season may give him that chance due to our squad and I’m sure we’re all in same boat in really wanting Liam to continue to take it 

the alternative is not to have him bench warming who knows what our squad looks like next season 

but I’d rather have a borner, pelepussy etc on the bench and have shaw playing 40 plus games for another team next year 

he will come back a much more experienced player 20 years old with over 50 professional games to his name 

let him find himself at this level and iron out any inconsistencies he will undoubtably show as a young man 

All that said I’m more happy for shaw to be taking his well deserved chance and long may it continue 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, malek said:

Spot on. Well know if there ready when they get a run of games in the first team. This is why I don’t get people slating Penney and Hunt. They have had the odd few mins. In the case of Hunt it’s hard as he wants to play the same role as Bannan so with Bannan playing he could do with a loan spell. With Penney we have no left back. Just play him for the next ten games and see how he gets on. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

42 minutes ago, waverley_owl said:

Saw a few comments on social media to say that Shaw isn't ready and that we need to stay grounded when talking about him and not get too excited. 

But my question is 'When do you know when a player is ready for the first team?'

In the case of Shaw, surely a goal, assist and MotM in his last three starts is enough to warrant his place in the first team. I mean he's done more in those last three games than Harris has done all season (I know they play different positions before anyone starts).

When did they know that Rooney was ready? Or Owen or... (insert another young footballer here). 

Plus, putting him back in the U23's isn't going to make him get any better. Playing regular first team football, and training with the first team will. 

for me if a player is training with the first team and doesnt look out of place then hes ready for the first team, if he plays a dozen games in the first team and shows hes good enough in a few games then hes ready

The biggest thing with young players is consistency which 90% of the time comes as they get older and good management from the coaching staff in knowing when to play him and when to let him sit and watch 

What always amazes me and ive never understood it is that local/young players always seem to have to prove they've got what it takes quicker to fans than a signed player  

Comments like he's to lightweight, he doesn't read a game well, he's to slow, he'll never be good enough are comments I've seen about Shaw and Hunt recently and have seen it in the past when Palmer/wildsmith/Dawson were coming in 

What’s all this piling in on Hunt all of a sudden?

A few months ago he was getting similar rave reviews to Shaw but after being virtually ignored by Pulis and a poor game on his return we get the fat middle aged man brigade sat there slating him for not being Ross Barkley. 

I reckon a player is ready when he can show some consistency. However, that changes when you play for Wednesday cos your only ready when you can deal with the bile our “supporters” can throw at you.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Guest hirstysfags
56 minutes ago, waverley_owl said:

Owen Morrison you mean?

2 minutes ago, fpowl said:

If we can build our squad strong enough shaw would be an ideal loan signing to league one or lower championship

he has shown he’s good enough 

but we’ve seen a few mistakes in him ( not a Critism ) I’m highly impressed 

to become a first team regular hes now got to do it over a long period 

this season may give him that chance due to our squad and I’m sure we’re all in same boat in really wanting Liam to continue to take it 

the alternative is not to have him bench warming who knows what our squad looks like next season 

but I’d rather have a borner, pelepussy etc on the bench and have shaw playing 40 plus games for another team next year 

he will come back a much more experienced player 20 years old with over 50 professional games to his name 

let him find himself at this level and iron out any inconsistencies he will undoubtably show as a young man 

All that said I’m more happy for shaw to be taking his well deserved chance and long may it continue 

Shaw is ready and should be given chance in our first team.  We need to continue him development with first team chances..  sure he will make mistakes but we now need to overlook these unless its the same mistakes.

He also had a loan spell out last season at Chesterfield.

If the coaching team feel he is ready, which i'm sure they do, then he should be in.