The 18 out of contract players, building a team!

This an annual problem, not a new one. Think ! We obtain a player, or have a player who's out of contract. Do you offer him a One year or a Two year contract? I can't see anyone offering above that length anytime, let alone in the Covid era, If they sign, the One year ones will be out of contract at the end of the next season, the Two year ones the year after that. It's what is known as a fluid situation. This is to say nothing about the constant turmoil of FFP. and clubs  being  artificially than others.

And the one thing that most people forget - It is the player who either agrees to the terms or declines.

45 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

So my opinion:

Kieran Westwood - release

Jordan Rhodes - release

Barry Bannan - new contract 

Adam Reach - new contract

Kadeem Harris - release

Moses Odubajo - release

Ella's Kachunga - release

Joey Pelupessy - release

Tom Lees - unsure 

Joost Van Aken - release

Julian Borner - release

Liam Shaw - new contract

Osaze Urhoghide - new contract 

Matt Penny - new contract

Ciaran Brennan - new contract

Josh Render - new contract

Ben Hughes - new contract

Liam Waldock - new contract

To add for the youngsters. Penney and Shaw need to be playing now imo. The rest (not sure on Waldock think he could be worth giving game time too) they need to be loaned out if possible for 6 months. 
The main one of the established first team players that we should want to tie down is Adam reach. His age means he has value and if we’re going to start running the club properly from here on it we need players of value.

I would be surprised if we offered contracts to all our younger players. 

Hopefully Shaw gets tied down to a deal. As I think that's the only one they will really be worried about.

15 hours ago, Hirstys Salopettes said:

Dejphon had a dream 

To build a football team

We had no players 
And couldn’t sign them on loan

Our accounts aren’t in the black

The EFL are always on the attack

We’re Sheffield Wednesday 

Gi season ticket refunds back 

Der dum der dum 

Fantastic this should be sung when fans return lol

For me 

Lees, Bannan, Reach offer 2 year deals

Shaw offer a 3 or 4 year deal cannot be on that much anyway

Shaw, Brennan, Hughes, Waldock, Render, Urhoghide offer 2 year deal but they need to be loan out to get regular game time - 20+ games this season is going to see If they develop into first team players.

Penney offer a one year deal and equally needs to be playing every week either here or in league 1

Borner has been a great signing and  has been one of our most consistent players over the last 2 years, with the centre back options being Lees, Dunkley, Iorfa (if he's not sold), Borner that gives us a good based with the youngster Brennan if he improves.

Then Westwood, Rhodes, Harris, Pelupessy, Odabajo, Kachunga, JVA can go probably freeing up in the region of about £7m a season in wages

Depending who we then bring in, in the January window we then need a Championship quality keeper, a left back, a central midfielder, 2 strikers, and two wingers. I would also look to sell either Dawson or Wildsmith they cannot both develop as one will always not be playing for me Wildsmith looks the stronger of the two. There was a few suitors for Dawson last season when they thought he might be a free agent so for a reasonable fee may be able to move him on.

But most important thing is we start playing ahead of the current season, we cannot have double figure players out of contract every season, when a player gets into the last 12 months of his contract we either resign or we sell then we have 2 transfers to get a fee for them.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Morepork said:

To be honest, I see it as a positive.

If we manage to make the right managerial appointment and DC along with his recruitment advisors allow the new man a fair say in structuring his squad then I'm good with it.

Of course, there is always the risk we just sign sh!te......

I tend to agree its just a big IF!!

Problem is we saw this summer as a positive for getting rid of deadwood and high earners and that's not turned out too well.

We struggled to recruit this summer clearly and i can see this summer going exactly the same way.

We're halfway through the season and we've got several first team players running out of contract.

If there is interest from elsewhere they will already know.

Who in their right mind would sign a contract extension here right now?

We have zero direction and philosophies its just a clusterfuck and a sinking ship being sunk by captain Chansiri.

We've got Chansiri saying players need to fit into his philosophies - which are completely unclear?
Transfer recruitment will change and unlike the first season under CC they won't be asking the "Head Coach" for much input

Director of football & head coach method without having a actual director of football just a few advisors.

It's again incompetence to rely on "advisors/agents" to bring us players in.

Why do we have a recruitment team if Chansiri is just going to listen to his advisors?

We don't even know what division we will be in and we lack serious leadership and direction, its a recipe for disaster and potentially another long summer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pazowl55 said:

I would be surprised if we offered contracts to all our younger players. 

Hopefully Shaw gets tied down to a deal. As I think that's the only one they will really be worried about.

I agree that Shaw is the key one.

I just think we have a massive rebuilding job to do especially if we stay in this league and most of the youngsters are young enough to improve. As i understand it:

Osaze Urhoghide - 20 (21 beginning of next season)

Matt Penny - 22 

Ciaran Brennan - 20 (21 beginning of next season)

Josh Render - 19

Ben Hughes - 20

Liam Waldock - 20

also Alex Hunt 20 (21 beginning of next season) & Fisayo Dele-Bashiru 19 (20 beginning of next season).

So apart from Penney (who a lot depends on him both getting a chance this season and taking it) they are all young enough to go out on loan for 6 months or a year and play some first team football.... find there level, come back and be able to play at our level or drop down the leagues.

Not giving them contracts means we have to look for more players around there age groups to recruit as well as those first team recruits.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, jonnyowl said:

Kieran Westwood

Jordan Rhodes

Barry Bannan

Adam Reach

Kadeem Harris

Moses Odubajo

Ella's Kachunga

Joey Pelupessy

Tom Lees

Joost Van Aken

Matt Penny

Liam Shaw

Osaze Urhoghide

Matt Penny

Ciaran Brennan

Josh Render

Ben Hughes

Liam Waldock 

All the above are out of contract at the end of the season according transfermarkt.

That would leave us with

Chey Dunkley

Dominic Iorfa

Julian Borner

Liam Palmer

Callum Paterson

Massimo Luongo

Fisayo Dele Bashiru 

How are we supposed to build a team with an identity and challenging at the right end of the pitch when so many players are out of contract?

I really fear that next season will be even worse that this season, no faith in DC to build a squad with any quality. Just another example of how poorly this club is run. Just can't see then replacing key players.

So who would you keep and who do you think will actually stay.

I'd keep Reach, Bannan Lees amd the youngsters, Shaw, Hunt, Brennan and Urhogide.

I think the the youngsters might stay, Reach,Bannan and Lees will be off!

Glass half-empty there.  The majority will re-sign, and I'm all for remaining positive and optimistic,  It beats misery and easy despondency anytime