The 18 out of contract players, building a team!

To be honest, I see it as a positive.

If we manage to make the right managerial appointment and DC along with his recruitment advisors allow the new man a fair say in structuring his squad then I'm good with it.

Of course, there is always the risk we just sign sh!te......

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I would get rid of the lot, they can all go for me. I wouldn't sign any of them up to new deals except a couple of the youngsters

We need to start again from scratch. Too many players have been comfortable at the club for too long. Time to shake it up and build from zero

I remember when we did it in League One under Chris Turner and that didn't turn out to bad. A complete reshape is in order. Remove the dead wood and bring in talent from the lower leagues

• Love 1

The biggest short term problem is getting these players to be physically committed to the cause in the last six weeks of the season. 

If they get injured then their chance of a lucrative contract elsewhere is screwed. 

So are they going to be 100% committed in a dog fight ? 

Human nature and self interest means that even subconsciously they won’t fancy a battle unfortunately. 

• Love 1

6 minutes ago, RichSheffWeds said:

The biggest short term problem is getting these players to be physically committed to the cause in the last six weeks of the season. 

If they get injured then their chance of a lucrative contract elsewhere is screwed. 

So are they going to be 100% committed in a dog fight ? 

Human nature and self interest means that even subconsciously they won’t fancy a battle unfortunately. 

Could work the other way though, players wanting to put themselves in the shop window. How many times did we see it happen with Nuhiu. When he was playing for a contract he suddenly found his scoring boots

1 minute ago, Manwë said:

Imagine Chansiri and his recruitment team building an entire squad from zero.  

Scary thought.

Not really though is it? Iorfa and Dunkley are paid less than Lees and are at least as good. Luongo is paid less than Hutch was and is at least as good. Windass and Patterson are stop gap but offer as much threat as Fessi and Nuhiu on lesser contracts. 

The last few windows have been relatively successful in terms of bringing the average cost down whilst still being competitive. 

The last of the big earners can go at end of season and it’s a fresh start, barring us commuting financial suicide to keep the family together. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Manwë said:

Imagine Chansiri and his recruitment team building an entire squad from zero.  

Scary thought.

True but he didn't do too badly in his first two seasons when we nearly got promoted. Have to hope he has learnt from recent mistakes in the transfer market 

9 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

whilst still being competitive. 

Our final  league positions in recent years are 15th, 12th, 16th.  Currently we'd sit in 18th if we didn't have the 6 points deducted.

As I've said in another thread; we've given up trying to succeed and still looking at the day out at Wembley as if it was yesterday and something to build on.

13 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

It is a bit of a mess.

Lets hope DC has the money to fund a rebuild. The players out of contract get slagged off (Bannan, Lees, Reach, Odubajo, Pelupessy, Westwood for example) but we will do very well to replace them with better. To do so we have to spend a bit of money.

Meanwhile will the players be paid on time for December? 

Depends how smart you are, remember we paid very little for joey, over the top for reach and all the others were free. 

41 minutes ago, Manwë said:

Our final  league positions in recent years are 15th, 12th, 16th.  Currently we'd sit in 18th if we didn't have the 6 points deducted.

As I've said in another thread; we've given up trying to succeed and still looking at the day out at Wembley as if it was yesterday and something to build on.

Unless we’re squarely at the bottom of the table losing week in week out like our porcine neighbours then we are competing and competitive. 

That’s despite the failings of 3/4 years ago where someone thought it wise to spaff a huge some of money up the wall. Those mistakes will only be rectified once the contracts expire and any of last three years activity is against that backdrop and hampered by those mistakes. 

I’m genuinely excited to see a squad made up of players of quality level and salary banding of Iorfa, Luongo, Dunkley etc. They’re all on half the salaries of Lees, Bannans etc so in essence for every Bannan or Lees we lose we could gain two players of their quality. 

So my opinion:

Kieran Westwood - release

Jordan Rhodes - release

Barry Bannan - new contract 

Adam Reach - new contract

Kadeem Harris - release

Moses Odubajo - release

Ella's Kachunga - release

Joey Pelupessy - release

Tom Lees - unsure 

Joost Van Aken - release

Julian Borner - release

Liam Shaw - new contract

Osaze Urhoghide - new contract 

Matt Penny - new contract

Ciaran Brennan - new contract

Josh Render - new contract

Ben Hughes - new contract

Liam Waldock - new contract

To add for the youngsters. Penney and Shaw need to be playing now imo. The rest (not sure on Waldock think he could be worth giving game time too) they need to be loaned out if possible for 6 months. 
The main one of the established first team players that we should want to tie down is Adam reach. His age means he has value and if we’re going to start running the club properly from here on it we need players of value.