COVID: What Will It Take To Stop Football?

BIG D

On 10/01/2021 at 10:59, belfast owl lad said:

Less than 400 without pre existing issues died last year OF Covid, The chances of a fit and healthy young footballer dying must be miniscule.

Let's say that number is accurate. I think that a major issue could be if a player's career and future earnings are affected by it.

Example, Lachelles and Saint Maximan at Newcastle are said to be seriously ill with it. What if they have long covid issues, around lung capacity for example. Say they have to retire from it. They could say that their workplace was negligent as they had to go into a work environment with known positive cases.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, markg said:

Let's say that number is accurate. I think that a major issue could be if a player's career and future earnings are affected by it.

Example, Lachelles and Saint Maximan at Newcastle are said to be seriously ill with it. What if they have long covid issues, around lung capacity for example. Say they have to retire from it. They could say that their workplace was negligent as they had to go into a work environment with known positive cases.

Thankfully lascalles played at the weekend, so is hopefully better

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PeteG_1984 said:

I really want football to continue and it’s a nice distraction from the bleak reality.

But the moral case for it confining is getting more and more weak. You’ve got players and staff from all parts of the country mixing. Even if you say no hugging a celebration and social distance in the dressing room, they’re still tackling, pulling, spitting and shouting at each other. And it’s also becoming more and more farcical how many players are having to isolate. 

The virus is as bad now as it’s ever been. The NHS is at breaking point and we’re under strict measures (that are likely to get stricter). Should football really continue under those circumstances? And then we’ve got the fact that some footballers have been pretty a reckless with the regulations. 

Elite athletes are very unlikely to get seriously ill. But it’s like with school children, it’s not them it’s the contracting of the virus. If a child’s dad has a serious health condition or their mum works in a care home - that is a massive risk. What if an elite footballer’s wife has recently recovered from cancer? Or if their child has severe asthma? And with the  ew variant being more virulent, what if they transfer it going to the shop?

Like i say, I love football, but when we’re asking people to stay home, it seems crazy that football is almost business as usual.

Excellent post. That's what I've been thinking about too, the wider people involved.  

Also to go back to my post above, sky sports news did a poll about if athletes should get priority for the vaccines and it finished with I think 79% saying No and 21% saying Yes. 

Unbelievable u23 and u18 football in academies carries on as normal

The PL really are not fit for purpose - where the f*ck is their sense of responsibility and ability to take the temperature of the current crisis facing this country?

• Love 3

50 minutes ago, scram said:

Unbelievable u23 and u18 football in academies carries on as normal

The PL really are not fit for purpose - where the f*ck is their sense of responsibility and ability to take the temperature of the current crisis facing this country?

It will take the death of a footballer to change the attitude of premier League an FA

• Like 2

On 11/01/2021 at 16:28, bladeshater said:

It will take the death of a footballer to change the attitude of premier League an FA

It will more likely be ' collateral damage' ..not a footballer, but maybe a groundsman , security staff,  coach driver,  catering staff..even a coach or manager ?  They said on Guardian sports weekly you have a Roy Hodgson who's over 70 working with 30 players nearly every day.

Sadly the demographic of your average football supporter tends to be someone who feels their sport should continue at any cost, and sadly they seem not to take COVID-19 as seriously as it should.  I imagine, if allowed,  a large number of supporters would go to a game tomorrow without a mask and sit in a packed stadium.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bannofan said:

It will more likely be ' collateral damage' ..not a footballer, but maybe a groundsman , security staff,  coach driver,  catering staff..even a coach or manager ?  They said on Guardian sports weekly you have a Roy Hodgson who's over 70 working with 30 players nearly every day.

Sadly the demographic of your average football supporter tends to be someone who feels their sport should continue at any cost, and sadly they seem not to take COVID-19 as seriously as it should.  I imagine, if allowed,  a large number of supporters would go to a game tomorrow without a mask and sit in a packed stadium.

Some great points, some people do rule more with emotion compared with being logical in ways (Star Trek haha.) You see it every day on here. I like to think I'm balanced in a way, but we're all human at the end of the day and not Vulcan haha. 

At the end of the day, this isn't really proper football anyway..like a poster has said further up the thread, these two seasons will be in the record books, but with large asterixis next to them. 

No fans means no home advantage .  The lack of atmosphere, pressure  and support  from the absence of fans also seems to have negatively affected some players who thrive on the pressure and heightened awareness and concentration a big crowd brings. Goalies and defenses especially seem to be affected by the lack of ' peril' and mounting noise when facing an attack.

Then there's the huge injury list, created by playing too many games in too short a period , training in different, compromised conditions. More and more players are having to isolate or have even caught it.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, Bannofan said:

well if they were allowed then why wouldnt they go??